Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2009, 11:18 AM   #1

Question Of cats and lights

Whilr replacing an engine mount, I understandably spent some tim under my 2001 S. After seeingbthe headers there in all their anorexic glory I have a strong desire to replace them. The rear cats are gone from my car already and I LOVE the sound. I am cheap in ways and don't want to spring for catted headers mostly because, to be honest I know headers won't make a $1700-2500 difference in my life. But $600 (non-catted pipes seem much closer to the bill. So clearly this will throw trouble codes. The question is does this actually effect the car or just give me an obnoxious light? (like the airbag light I have successfully ignored for months)

I am in va for all that better know emissions here, are there edu reflashes that will permanently remove such lights aswell? Or will this do me little good in my state due to sniffers? Any help, aswell as advice on headers that won't break their welds would be appreciated. Thanks!

Jackelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 12:24 PM   #2

My personal opinion, for a street car, is you are wasting money to gain negligible HP, if any (you may lose low end torque). You will open the door to a constant CEL and will not pass emission testing, on top of it. Is all that trouble worth it?

If you really want headers, bite the bullet and get a decent pair with hi-flow cats like the ones Fabspeed markets.

I have stock exhaust manifolds, cat bypass pipes and a sport muffler on my Box S; sound is terrific and emissions legal.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:35 PM   #3
Rennzenn

Garage
Where in VA are you? I'm in Charlottesville; I've got headers on my S, and I'd be happy to let you see the difference they made and tell you about doing the swap.
j.fro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 02:48 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
I have stock exhaust manifolds, cat bypass pipes and a sport muffler on my Box S; sound is terrific and emissions legal.

I keep hearing that "cat bypass pipes " are not street legal. Have you taken you car to get SMOG'ed?

03' 986 Midnight Blue Metallic
Light Weight Flywheel | Tinted Windows and Windscreen
Painted Bumperettes | 550 Spyder Grille Kit

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_9sTq_sN1KDw/Si...2009%20055.jpg
crios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #5

My car passed emissions easily. In Illinois, all they do is plug into the OBDII and check for fault codes; there is no visual and the clowns that work there wouldn't know what to look for anyway. There are no O2 sensors on the secondary cats, so nothing to "show up".

Years back, the Illinois EPA used to requiring a rolling test on their machine. When I'd take the 911 in, I told them it was full time AWD and they just passed it without testing.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95

Last edited by jmatta; 01-07-2009 at 05:55 AM.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 04:48 PM   #6

I'm in Fredericksburg. So really just down the road. Could always use and excuse to take the wife on a drive out to charlottesville.

I was under the impression that headers made a more significant difference than any other single aspect of the exhaust. Is that not the case maybe it isn't worth the effort. That being said are there any mods that are? not claiming to have money burning a hole in my pocket but i like having something i can look forward to.
Jackelfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2009, 05:55 PM   #7

Well I put on catted headers for 800. not quite 600 but close. Maxspeed motor sports.
I dont care what anyone says, there is an increase in torque and HP. The cars spins the wheels much more easily. I plan on dyno when i can find the time.

I also have the cat bypass pipes.
No cel, and no problems.

with out an proper O2 sensor reading, the car will run rich or lean and that cant be good for it.

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote