Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2005, 06:15 AM   #1

Finally saw: 5th GEAR's Z4 vs Boxster shoot out..

SPEED TV runs 5th GEAR from the UK weekdays in a series of two shows 9-10am eastern. I've seen the original 'Best Sportscar' one a number of times, but today (21Jan) at 9:30 they ran the most recent, Boxster inclusive, show - that I know of.

The Z4 won the hotlap by .4-.5sec. One comment was the Z4 had a 6-speed from which I got the impression laid down the power better on this very short track. The other general comment I remember was to the effect; 'they are very similar'.

By not using the S, as they did in the first program, the 1/2 second is left an open question. I gather they were more comparing a very similar price and BHP.

BUT, the Z4 could have been $10K cheaper and 3sec. faster - there's no way I'd want anyone who knew me to see me in anything Chris Bangle penned. Even with muscle and brand history; the Z3/4 is one ugly car.

Jim

wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 06:38 AM   #2
porsche986

wetsuff i am still trying to dig out the ultimate boxster vid,

featured on the isle of white.. no speed limit.

they run the boxster, Z4, honda s2000... its great and would sell the boxster.
i will find it
Old 01-21-2005, 06:59 AM   #3

The local BMW dealer is always calling me to unload used Z4s. The local Porsche is always calling me looking for used Boxsters.

Hmm, what does that mean?

I really liked the look of the Z3s, the 4s are just horrible IMHO.
Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2005, 10:29 AM   #4

B-L: There seem to be a fair number out East. You might consider scanning the list from the main Manheim exotics auction (thursdays) this time of year. Two P-dealers I talked to were not even interested in getting any Boxsters because it's the wrong time of the year to sell a soft top. I'd suspect there are some good one's sneaking thru', priced right, to dealers who don't have a clue what they bought.

I base part of this on the Chevy dealer I got mine from and the half dozen others I de-coded their car for. It's 'just another car' to them....

Jim

wetstuff is offline   Reply With Quote