Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-15-2008, 11:38 AM   #1

Need some new Boxster buying advice

Hi...

I was looking at a new 08 Boxster S today. I have never seen a dealership so dead, yet so stuffed with inventory.

The MSRP is $63,245, without negotiations, they game me a written quote of $58,495 ($4,750 or 7.5% off), although they suggested that they would entertain a reasonable offer. I dint make a counter offer, I just left.

I'm sure there is room to go much lower, as it is last years model, substantial improvements to the 09 (DFI, iPod compatible, etc.), bad economy, December, etc.

What should be my next move?

Thanks

Joe

TorpedoZone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 11:52 AM   #2

Next move?

If you really would like this car offer them $45 and see what happens. If you really would prefer the '09 wait and see what they offer you for that model.

AKL
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:17 PM   #3

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I would offer $54,264.21 out the door. All taxes and license charges included.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 12:43 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Since Porsche sales are down over 50% from last year, they are probably pretty desperate to sell anything. It doesn't hurt to start very low, and see what happens.
They probably won't take a loss, but I would imagine you could get a really good deal, I am not sure about the value, but in this economy I wouldn't pay more that $50k with tax and license.
They need to sell the car more than you need to buy it.
Old 12-15-2008, 05:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the advice. I like the idea of offering them a figure INCLUDING all taxes and fees. Let them figure it out. They had a lot of cars to sell, and no other customers around.

Joe
Old 12-15-2008, 05:55 PM   #6
bmussatti

You should be able to buy that car for sure at $53,750 (15% off MSRP).

Maybe for $50,590 if they are really hurting (20% off) and you are an excellent negotiator.
Old 12-15-2008, 06:16 PM   #7

Haven't you read that the older Boxster/911 engines can blow up due to IMS/RMS issues? You're better off with an '09.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 04:16 AM   #8

That's true, the 08 would still have possible IMS/RMS issues. But, if I could swing a good deal on it, there would be factory warranty coverage for four years. I could always trade it in on newer model down the road, beofre the warranty expires.

The first year of the new engine may have it's own issues yet to be uncovered.

Joe
Old 12-16-2008, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TorpedoZone
That's true, the 08 would still have possible IMS/RMS issues. But, if I could swing a good deal on it, there would be factory warranty coverage for four years. I could always trade it in on newer model down the road, beofre the warranty expires.

The first year of the new engine may have it's own issues yet to be uncovered.

Joe
Wisely said, as version 4.0 of the current engine may end up being far more reliable than version 1.0 of the new engine.
vincesf
Old 12-16-2008, 07:31 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
If you really would like this car offer them $45 and see what happens. If you really would prefer the '09 wait and see what they offer you for that model.

AKL
Don't waste the dealer's time with such a low offer...no way will they consider such an offer and if you are serious about buying you'll just make a fool out of yourself - they are not giving away cars no matter how bad the media says the economy is.

But you should be able to get 12-14% off, MAYBE a bit better.

And I wish everyone would quit whining about IMS/RMS issues.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 08:43 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
If you really would like this car offer them $45 and see what happens.
Why do you hate America?

That poor salesman is going to go home and blows his brain out in front of his wife and kids after he hears this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
I didn't realize most people have their sarcasm meter turned off today.

The amount of paranoia about IMS/RMS issue is absurd.

To continue this paranoia, I strongly believe that Porsche do this to older Boxsters so their owners can get a 3.6L swap to extract the real inner Boxster out of their cars.

Last edited by ekam; 12-16-2008 at 08:45 AM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 12:29 PM   #12

FWIW, I know a guy who went into a Dodge dealership to buy a new Jeep Grand Cherokee (or whatever the big one is called). The sticker price for this '08 on the lot was $32,000. He bought it for $20,000 out the door (taxes, title, etc. included). You might be able to get it for less than you think you could.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:16 PM   #13

Hi Joe,

Almost a year ago (New Year's Eve), I walked into my local Porsche dealer and within 20 min bought LE #5 for a 12% discount off sticker. This was a current model and a very low serial #, so you should be able to get more than 15% on last year's model - maybe even 20%.

My advice: Do your homework and find out what they have in the car (there are sights that will tell you), calculate a small profit over invoice (they're not philanthropic), go in the week after Christmas, and make the deal. They'll be happy to have a serious customer at that time of year.

PS. Do you work for SAS? Great company. I'm the SAS Man at my company - I support SAS for 300 users at Mutual of Omaha.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 PM   #14

Thanks for the replies! I certainly think I could live with myself if I offended the sales manager with a low price. They had a LOT of cars there and no customers, so I'm sure they'd love to move some metal. I just wasn't sure where to even begin.

Husker...I don't work for SAS. Everyone at SAS does seem pretty happy, must be something in the company Kool-Aid. I do belong to a golf club that is owned by the guy who owns SAS.

I remember watching Mutual of Omaha's Wild Kingdom growing up...

Joe
Old 12-17-2008, 12:43 AM   #15

Dealer markup is 12%. I am sure they have eaten through any other moneys from Porsche through insurance and interest. I would guess $55,655 to be their break-even. Offer $56K.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 12:45 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
FWIW, I know a guy who went into a Dodge dealership to buy a new Jeep Grand Cherokee (or whatever the big one is called). The sticker price for this '08 on the lot was $32,000. He bought it for $20,000 out the door (taxes, title, etc. included). You might be able to get it for less than you think you could.
Porsches ain't Chryslers
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #17

Call up at least 4 other dealers and see what kind of offers they are cutting. Start playing them against each other. “Dealer A said I could get it for $53k. If you can beat that, I will buy it from you”. The more info and prices you can get, the better off you will be.

When I bought my Boxster I did everything but squeal like a like girl and say “that is the exact car I have been looking for”. At that point I threw all of my bargaining chips out the window. The salesman and I both knew I was going to drive away with that car and he didn’t have to knock a dime off of the price. But hey, I got exactly what I was looking for and learned a lesson in car buying.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 09:17 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by renzop
Dealer markup is 12%. I am sure they have eaten through any other moneys from Porsche through insurance and interest. I would guess $55,655 to be their break-even. Offer $56K.
That is about the mark-up on the base car - options are marked-up at least 15%. For 2009 the mark-up on the base car is about 10.5% and 15% on options...2008 & prior was higher but not much.
Bob Z. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 10:40 AM   #19
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Z.
Agreed x 2.

If you focus on something long enough and hard enough, you just might get it. Psychokinetic Energy or Hypochondria or Law of Attraction .... use it well.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 02:17 PM   #20

Garage
Why don't you just ask to see their invoice with the understanding that they will make some profit on the deal. A simple question that requires them to answer "Yes" or "No"

I was looking at an '09 Cayenne at my Porsche dealer last week, settled on an '06 from CarMax with 9,100 miles on the clock. I added a 6 year, 75,000 mile extended warranty and was still thousands under book. Looks, drives, and smells brand new for more than 50% off the price of a new one. To be fair, I've been looking religiously for over 3 months and snapped this 06 up as soon as it showed up on their website.

Oh, that Porsche dealer has an '05 Mercedes SL 500 it took on trade for $42K, they're willing to let it go for $35K. Just be up front and don't be afraid to ask all they can say is no. Good Luck!

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote