Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 09:48 AM   #1

'97 owners experiences

I have owned my 97 since November of 2005. To date I have had the following repairs and diagnosis. Convertible top cables $1500.00, ignition switch $80.00, radiator cap $0, slight RMS leak - not yet repaired at dealer's advice, airbag light is now on, CEL is now on. (It's the MAF) I also replaced the A/O separator $350.00 at an independent shop. Overall I love this car. My question is this, what are the experiences of those of you who own the intro Boxster? I am especially interested in engine troubles. There does'nt seem to be as many catastrofic engine failures on 97's or am I missing something? Just curious.

Old 12-13-2008, 12:33 PM   #2

Your '97 has only 27k miles? That's pretty remarkable, must have been a garage queen prior to your purchase. My '02 S has but 15k miles, but will likely surpass your mileage at age 11. I tend to believe the number of threads I've read were you are less likely to have a major failure if the car is driven instead of sitting. If mine were to have a catastrophic failure, I would most likely go with a 3.6 Raby motor.

If it means anything, I am an active member in Chicago region PCA, an instructor and track driver (my 911, not Box). I know of only one indiviual who had his motor let go (was a '99 base) and he was a concours guy...may tell you something.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:45 PM   #3

You, drive the car and drive it often. My 97 is the wifes daily driver, it has over 100k on the clock and hasn't missed a beat. 3rd water pump and second convertible top, but these are expected issues.
The only complaint I have about the little fellow is the annoying engine vibration at 3,200 while cruising. This is normal for some engines and I will do nothing to try and make it go away.
Just put an extra coating of wax to keep the bugs off of it and just hit the road.
Go Army

Last edited by Rick V; 12-15-2008 at 03:21 PM.
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 04:55 PM   #4

I also have a '97 with about 34,000 mi. Mine has had some similar issues to yours.

It's on its third ignition switch. First was replaced under warranty, the second I replaced myself with the Audi sourced electrical portion if the switch for $38.00 and 45 min of DIY time.

Slight RMS weep/leak. This started shortly after switching to 0w40 weight oil. I'll let it continue leaking until it either gets worse (currently a couple of small drops every other month) or during clutch replacement.

Air bag light caused by seat belt receptacles ground issue. Repaired once under warranty. Light is back on with same diagnosis from dealer. I have the updated receptacles and will get around to installing at some point.

Convertible top cable housing stretched causing cables to disconnect from motor and jamb clam shell. I DIY (+/- 2 hours) the cable housings and resynchronized the top transmissions.

Regards,
Aron
Aron in Toronto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:36 AM   #5

My 1997 had the motor replaced at 75k. Probably from foolish ownership though. My car was totally beat up and abused before I bought it. Of course, it could have been IMS. I really don't know.

For the first two or three years of ownership, I was totally paranoid. Now, I don't worry about stuff i can't control and just drive the car like I just stole it every time I get behind the wheel.

I figure that if she's gonna blow, it's gonna happen no matter what so I'm going to enjoy it as long as it lasts.

If you want to see the laundry list of stuff I've replaced, click on the links in my signature.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 06:44 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmatta
Your '97 has only 27k miles? That's pretty remarkable, must have been a garage queen prior to your purchase. My '02 S has but 15k miles, but will likely surpass your mileage at age 11. I tend to believe the number of threads I've read were you are less likely to have a major failure if the car is driven instead of sitting. If mine were to have a catastrophic failure, I would most likely go with a 3.6 Raby motor.

If it means anything, I am an active member in Chicago region PCA, an instructor and track driver (my 911, not Box). I know of only one indiviual who had his motor let go (was a '99 base) and he was a concours guy...may tell you something.
The car sat at a dealership for over 6 months and had 9,000 miles on it when I bought it in November of 2005. The previous owner moved to Dallas and forgot the car was at the dealer for service. It took them all that time to find him and he told them to buy the car from him. He has a stable of Porsches and apparently the Box was not on the radar screen! I've driven it regularly now for three years. BTW the car had the original factory tires on it when I took possesion so those had to be replaced due to age. Overall it's almost like a new car.
Old 12-15-2008, 08:02 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdancd816
The car sat at a dealership for over 6 months and had 9,000 miles on it when I bought it in November of 2005. The previous owner moved to Dallas and forgot the car was at the dealer for service. It took them all that time to find him and he told them to buy the car from him. He has a stable of Porsches and apparently the Box was not on the radar screen! I've driven it regularly now for three years. BTW the car had the original factory tires on it when I took possesion so those had to be replaced due to age. Overall it's almost like a new car.
How many Porsche's, or cars for that matter must that guy have had to just FORGET his CAR there? Crazy... and I'm trying to save up to buy just ONE, must be nice...
Nineteen89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 09:49 AM   #8

That is a funny story...imagine owning so many cars that you can't keep track of them. We're up to five in my house and I know where they are at all times (except maybe my son's).

PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote