Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2008, 10:03 AM   #41

I expect some of you have seen this frozen Porsche picture before but it seems like it fits this thread. It's the primo frozen pipes picture of all time.

ISUnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 10:05 AM   #42

Hmm, awsome boots! I drive my Boxster in the snow all the time. The car is actually very managable up to about 4-5 inches of the stuff! Past that it starts to bottom out and gets a bit squirrely. If you have decent snowtires all the way around the Box is a good Winter car. I used to have a Mustang and it was impossible to drive on snow or ice. The Boxster is no SUV but it will get you where your going if your careful and have the correct tire setup for Winter. It really helps if your boots have 6" heels!
Old 12-13-2008, 11:40 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcutter
Hey Grizzly, thanks for the cool pic. I got all excited when I saw the HK bag, but where are your HKs? Your back up piece looks to be a Sig 239, and I can't quite make out your other piece-S&W? Do you have an MP5 stashed in the bag?
Yup, you're right, that's a 239. The one in the rig is a Beretta 92d that I've had for more than 20 years. They were an experiment for my Unit at the time and were made from a special alloy that was supposed to resist any type of hazardous atmosphere. I guess it worked because the weapon still looks brand new. I'm the only dinosaur still carrying one...and the MP-5. I still carry mine, even though the Agency has mostly moved to the P-90. I was actually heartbroken when they took my UZI from me. Apparently, I fear change.

Below is my favorite picture of all time. I'd like to take credit for it, but I didn't take it. As luck would have it, it's a "sexy boot" photo...

...no catastrophic engine failure ...yet
Grizzly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 11:44 AM   #44
Dai

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISUnorth
I expect some of you have seen this frozen Porsche picture before but it seems like it fits this thread. It's the primo frozen pipes picture of all time.
This picture takes the cake as far as frozen Porsche.
Dai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 03:28 PM   #45

Your car looks very nice, even with a bit of snow on it. Mine looks like crap as it's covered with salt.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:18 PM   #46

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Dai, that would have kept me home for sure! I can't even imagine dealing with real snow and real cold weather. I couldn't figure how to get the snow off my windows so my first instinct was to roll them down, which as soon as I did it I realized was a bad idea when half of the snow fell into my car, which I then had to remove with my hands. I ended up with water all over the inside of my car, on my hands, not to mention in my hair from melting snowflakes.

ekam, in that pic of me in the trunk I think I look high, though I promise I'm not. It's just squinting.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:20 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly
Yup, you're right, that's a 239. The one in the rig is a Beretta 92d that I've had for more than 20 years. They were an experiment for my Unit at the time and were made from a special alloy that was supposed to resist any type of hazardous atmosphere. I guess it worked because the weapon still looks brand new. I'm the only dinosaur still carrying one...and the MP-5. I still carry mine, even though the Agency has mostly moved to the P-90. I was actually heartbroken when they took my UZI from me. Apparently, I fear change.

Below is my favorite picture of all time. I'd like to take credit for it, but I didn't take it. As luck would have it, it's a "sexy boot" photo...

Is that you? That is such a cool picture.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:26 PM   #48

Garage
Quote:

"I ended up with water all over the inside of my car, on my hands, not to mention in my hair from melting snowflakes."

Snow in your hair!! 'O the humanity! About the picture of you in the frunk, you don't look high...you look young!
Old 12-13-2008, 07:30 PM   #49

^^^

thank you! (I still think I look high though.)
Old 12-13-2008, 11:03 PM   #50
Dai

I had a real scare today driving my Box on very slippery road and I wasn't going fast either (at 40KM/Hr or 25Mile/Hr). When I let go the gas the car start to drift side way and the car was at 45 degree. If I touch the brake, it would have been all over for me. I managed to stay calm and the car eventually straight itself out. All this happened even when I have a new pair of winter tires. My car is currently plugged in right now so that the oil will stay warm when I have to start the car tomorrow. I can't wait for summer now.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:08 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
Is that you? That is such a cool picture.
No, not me. It's another team member. I just love the picture.
Old 12-14-2008, 04:34 PM   #52

Check out the outside temp reading on my dash. Brrrrr. And it was 59 degs yesterday - I almost put the top down! 58 deg change in one day is hard to take. I'd rather have a couple inches of snow any day over cold.

2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 07:42 PM   #53
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I have never driven below 0° the coldest it has been is about 9°. I'm curious, will the Boxster display a negative mark if it's below 0° ?
Old 12-15-2008, 12:58 AM   #54

LB I need to introduce you to a friend of mine, she can teach you how to drive in 4+inch heals. She is 5-1 and she has to wear heals to drive or she can't push the clutch pedal far enough. Never seen her drive in less than a 4 incher.
Go Army
Rick V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 05:53 AM   #55
Dai

I drove my car this weekend in -28C or -18F weather and the display did show minus number. Boxster do not like to start or drive in this kind of weather. My car has so much torque that it is not easy to drive on icy condition. This is the time I wish I have a SUV.
Old 12-15-2008, 07:57 AM   #56

No snow in Dallas yet but it was a sunny 75-degrees yesterday and overcast 28 this morning. Last time we had a substantial snow (more ice than snow) my rear tires were into the wear bars and I did a 360 degree spin on the highway. Not fun. It's winter and again my summer tires are almost bald. Hmmmm. Maybe it's time for some new tires.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:32 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick V
LB I need to introduce you to a friend of mine, she can teach you how to drive in 4+inch heals. She is 5-1 and she has to wear heals to drive or she can't push the clutch pedal far enough. Never seen her drive in less than a 4 incher.

Wow, that's some skills! She is my hero. I can't even imagine.

And all of you with your 1 degree weather and such, I would DIE! I really think I'd freeze in that kind of weather. My New Orleans blood is just not made for it. The only time I've ever really seen real snow of any substantial amount was in Rochester, NY, and I could not get warm the entire time I was there, even inside my friend's house.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:49 PM   #58

You want snow? Sorry, my boots don't show in the picture. Northern Illinois is not a nice place to be in winter; the Porsches are snug in the garage under covers.
PCA DE Instructor circa '95
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:35 PM   #59

Hey L-bunny...

...are those boots Christian Lo-Boos? The red sole kinda gives it away. Wife was looking at a pair of red pumps, $500 bucks worth.... Egad!!! Not that she is hurting for sexy pumps mind you but she claims she will save up for a pair.

My boots are like Grizzlys but I don't carry a weapon on a regular basis (yet!) I think the Grizz was about to score some roast duck fodder right after the pic was taken but I could be wrong.

Just missed getting a set of 18" shoes for my Boxcar by about 15min on Ebay. I am still screaming and kicking myself for not bidding just a wee bit higher. Ah well, we live and never learn. "No fool, like an old fool"

Snowing in Las Vega, arriba!!! Does anyone still subscribe to the Global Warming myth?

AKL USSA
Allen K. Littlefield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 03:34 PM   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allen K. Littlefield
... I think the Grizz was about to score some roast duck fodder right after the pic was taken but I could be wrong.

AKL USSA
No way, Allen! We look after all creatures, great and small. The guy was standing there to make sure the drivers didn't squish the little family as they sped up the driveway.