Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2008, 05:13 PM   #1

Engine Squeek

2000 Boxster S with 115,000 miles started making squeeking noise upon clutch release with engine under slight load. Noise has now progressed to squeeking under acceleration and at idle all the time. Removed accessory belt but noise persists. Unable to locate source even by placing long screwdriver over various engine parts. Sounds louder by passenger side converter. Noise is distinct squeel like metal on metal. Replaced clutch last year. No other driveability issues. Found two slight oil leaks. Any ideas?

SPEEDOMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2008, 06:04 AM   #2
EE3racing

Just a shot in the dark, did you replace the throw out bearing as well? Regarding the metal to metal squeal, does it accelerate pace with engine RPM? If so, then it sounds like a problem back in the clutch flywheel assembly. Does the clutch perform flawlessly? Another thing to check might be all the pulleys, tensioners, ac pump maybe one of those items is making the noise, good luck.

Last edited by EE3racing; 12-10-2008 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-10-2008, 11:45 AM   #3

Thumbs up Engine Noise

Yes we replaced the throw-out bearing with the clutch last year and it works fine. We removed the accessory belt but the noise still persists so we're convinced it is internal. Thanks for you help.
Old 12-10-2008, 02:31 PM   #4

the AOS makes a squeal when it is going out, usally worse with engine load. The sound is thought to come from a vacum leak and with load the vacum is more, when it is a full on vacum leak, the sound is constant.
just a thought.
James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2008, 02:45 PM   #5

Unhappy Engine Noise

We followed your advice and checked the air/oil separator as per the manual and found it operating properly. We have determined noise is coming from the passenger side of the block in the rear where the timing chains are located.
The noise was getting louder emitting a distinct "chirping" noise varying with rpm. For kicks, we added EXtreme Oil Additive and followed instructions to drive for 100 miles. The noise has been reduced substantially but I'm sure it is only temporary. Next step is to remove Vari-cam sensor to see if it is rubbing. Other than that we will have to drop engine and tear-down. Anyone have another idea?
Old 12-16-2008, 06:26 AM   #6
FTD

Extreme Oil additive

I am trying to get info on the Extreme Oil additive you mentioned, and I am not learning anything conclusive. Is this something that is used for special situations, or is it a preventive maintenance thing that everyone should do periodically? And what brand did you use? Thanks.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 02:06 PM   #7
Track rat

Garage
I chased a mystery "chirping" noise once and found a loose spark plug. Someone put them in and forgot to finish with a torque wrench (lunch break??). Check your plugs on bank one. If that is not it, record the sound and post it on u tube. Someone has surely heard it before.
Old 12-18-2008, 06:03 AM   #8
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
I am trying to get info on the Extreme Oil additive you mentioned, and I am not learning anything conclusive. Is this something that is used for special situations, or is it a preventive maintenance thing that everyone should do periodically? And what brand did you use? Thanks.
Comments, anyone?
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2008, 06:12 AM   #9
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Comments, anyone?
I have never used it but I am not much of an "additives" guy. I use quality gas, quality oils, and the only additive I use is Stabil when I store my boat for winter.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:59 PM   #10

Did you ever find it?

I know this thread is a little old, but......did you find the problem? Please let us know.'

Thanks
Dar01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2009, 07:29 AM   #11

No the car was wrecked at a 130mph without any injuries. I still have the Bentley manual, passenger door interior trim piece and airbag if anyone is interested.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:48 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by SPEEDOMO
No the car was wrecked at a 130mph without any injuries. I still have the Bentley manual, passenger door interior trim piece and airbag if anyone is interested.

did the squeek stop??

eightsandaces is offline   Reply With Quote