Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2008, 04:56 AM   #1

Hesitant ignition. Why?

Car is a 2004 straight Boxster, manual, 30,000 miles, battery is good.

Problem is that on the first start of the day, typically at temperatures of around 50 degrees F., it takes up to six seconds or so for the starter to activate once the ignition key is turned to "start." At that point, the start is strong and normal, but nothing happens for six seconds. Further starts during the day are perfectly normal.

I have replaced 1/the electrical component of the ignition switch and 2/the small starter relay on the left side of the aft baggage compartment, but neither has caused the slightest change in the situation.

Should I simply replace the starter solenoid, or might there be another cause for this anomaly?

Stephan Wilkinson

stepwilk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:25 AM   #2

Fuel pump??? Can you test the fuel delivery?

-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 05:26 AM   #3

Read your post on the "other" board...I will be interested to see what you find. Are you sure the starter itself is OK?
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2008, 06:30 AM   #4

Fuel delivery is just fine. Once the car starts, there's not the slightest problem. It's just that six seconds of nothing when the car is cool--not cold, we haven't had temps under about 40 here in the Hudson River Valley.

fyi, if anybody is interested, go to www.thetruthaboutcars.com--best automotive site on the web--and read my piece on IMS failures, which has stirred up a lot of interest...and apparently already cost PAG a few Boxster sales.

stepwilk is offline   Reply With Quote