Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2008, 04:28 PM   #1

Burnt Oil Smell 03' Boxster S 88,000 Miles

Hi all, I'm new here and I just bought a 2003 Boxster S with 88K miles on it.

I've been noticing a burnt oil smell in my car. The smell is intermittent, and I can smell it when the lid is up or down.

I'm assuming this isn't normal but I don't know for sure.

Also, is there a Boxster club or something like that in Orange County California I can go to hang out with more knowledgeable Boxster owners?

Thanks alot for your help,

Scott

featherstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 04:24 AM   #2
FTD

Some have smelt a burning smell [not oil] near the air intake. Use the search function to see what the various solutins were. I hope it is not really burning oil.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 05:10 AM   #3

Some people complain that after a hard drive they smell burned rubber which is believed tire shreddings on the muffler. I have a really small oil leak on one of the bolts that attaches to the oil pump return. Put some newspaper under your car and see if it's dripping anything.

Good luck.
-Steve
JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2008, 08:47 AM   #4

Get a digital camera and go reach under the car and take some pictures. See if you can get some different angles.

You might just spot some oil. The Boxster is known to often have a slow leak in the rear main seal (RMS). To check that, reach under the car with your camera IN FRONT of the rear wheel. The RMS is a seal beteen the engine and transmission. Its on the centerline of the car. Snap a picture an post it.

If there is leak (like the RMS), it tends to spray oil all around underneath the car. Its easy to spot and will explain the smell.

We'll help you figure it out. And if it is an RMS, its really not that big of a deal.

Last edited by fatmike; 11-08-2008 at 08:49 AM.
fatmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 01:29 AM   #5

Burnt oil smell

Thanks for the tips guys, I'm going to try the news paper first since I dont actually own a digital camera except for my iPhone.

Ill see what the paper says first. Thanks again, and I love my beautiful machine.

Scott
featherstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 03:34 PM   #6

I have the same thing happen on mine. It drips no oil and I've never found the source of it. It only happens sometimes. And I ran across a post in the forum here some time ago that I recall indicated it was not all that unusual.

And you're right on target - I love my beautiful machine too!

2000 Boxster S, Speed Yellow, Michelin AS/3 tires, 60,000 miles...
... and climbing.
OldBlevins is offline   Reply With Quote