Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-03-2008, 07:13 PM   #1

Sometimes We Forget How Lucky We Are

I had to buy a new battery for my Boxster on Sunday. There were a couple of people in line with me at the NAPA parts counter when I asked the associate if they had any group 48 batteries since there were none on display. (WalMart and Costco didn't have any at all.) She asked me what kind of car I had. When I told her the guy in line behind me started to tell me how a Boxster was his dream car and asked me a bunch of questions about it.

I realize that I live in an area where a Z28 is considered an exotic car, but it reminded me to appreciate what I have. Even if I just paid $109 to replace a battery that the previous owner of my car bought less than 3 years ago.

Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2008, 09:37 PM   #2

thanks for the reminder - I really mean it
2015 FIAT 500e "Nikki" my commuter car
ChrisZang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:13 AM   #3

So True

I've learned in what little time that I have spent alive that we take a lot of things for granted. Even though we may think that we are greatful, we really don't understand how lucky we are. I sooooooooo appreciate even the little things like clouds and convenience stores ( there aren't any in Iraq). Now that I am at the end of a long 16 month deployment (2nd tour since I joined) and I'm living in a tent with about 13 other dudes again I really start to realize how good I do have it outside the ARMY.
boxster_s_boy_34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:19 AM   #4

We are all blessed to live in this country!

Thank you for your service, Boxster S Boy 34.

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 08:48 AM   #5

ditto about our families and our health.

thank you for this post.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 09:35 AM   #6
FTD

Yes, situations in life have made me appreciate indoor plumbing, hot water, a full refrigerator.... this is really great stuff! Health, friends, family.... so much to be grateful for. So much!

And then here I am driving a cool, fun car..... Dang! ......What a high!

We REALLY have it good.

Thank you for the post. Boxster S Boy 34 - thank you for your service. I never thought of life without clouds, but I did live somewhere where there were no thunder storms ever and I thought it was because God hated that place as much as I. Ha ha.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:11 AM   #7

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I am teased incessantly by my coworkers about my Porsche. It's all in good fun though. They tease and tease but when it comes time to go out for lunch instead of calling shotgun they call "I'm riding with Tim!" They call me Hollywood which really annoys me (since it insinuates pretentiousness) but the more annoyed I get the more they tease. My favorite comment so far was "Awe, poor Tim, are your diamond shoes too tight?" in response to me complaining about some of the repair costs. They're good friends.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 11:26 AM   #8

reality check

I got gas the other night at the only station I could find. It was full serve, and a young teenager was working. He said to me "I know you want 93, but wow, I should be paying you to get gas here!" and after asking questions while filling the tank asked: "is it okay if I hug it? it's just my dream to have one" ... I said, "sure, go ahead" and smiled as he did just that. It was just a funny moment, and like this thread, I remembered just how lucky I was to own the car.

Life is good ...
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2008, 03:32 PM   #9

Living in SoCal, my car gets a lot less attention than it might in other areas. I've been in other parts of the country and so I know how skewed our car culture is out here in San Diego.

Therefore, it is always a pleasant surprise when I receive compliments. It's a rare event.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:00 PM   #10

First of all, we are all lucky to have people who are willing to put themselves in harm's way for us. Military, fire, police etc.

I was pulling out of the garage at my work just yesterday, when a the man crossing in front gave me the big thumbs up. Not only this, but he passed, then stopped to watch me pull out and drive away. All this in the pouring rain, and him with no umbrella.

Yeah, we have it pretty good.
jderiansf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #11

There's a lot more important things in life than a car, but I do like driving this one.
gmboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 07:36 PM   #12

I actually bought mine because I was diagnosed with leukemia 6 years ago, and then two years ago, one of my business partners had cancer come back into her life when she thought she was done with it.

When she was diagnosed, I thought. What a shame it would be to die with a big pile of money (I've saved 20% of my income ever since college). So I went out and bought my Boxster, to make sure I remembered to enjoy life a little more. Every time I see the car (which is about once a week, since I ride the Triumph during the week) it reminds me to be grateful for being alive.

Oh and thanks boxster_s_boy_34 for your service. I've got two brothers in the Air Force right now.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 10:06 PM   #13

I feel ya...

I was diagnosed with Hodgekins Lymphoma in May of this year and had to go through 6 months of chemotherapy...

I just completed my last treatment 1 week ago and I am not kidding when I say my Boxster helped me go through the treatments.

Sure my family and friends were essential, (obviously) but sometimes when I felt like crap after a treatment I would just go for a drive for no reason.

I really appreciate everything more. Just driving my car to the grocery store puts a smile on my face.
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2008, 11:31 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
One morning I was parking in a lot downtown and as I was walking from my car I see a man getting out of his truck looking like he was going to say something to me. Well, I really was expecting the usual "Hey, sexy" kind of crap that us women seem to get so much. But instead he said, "That's a beautiful Porsche." It really made my day.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:35 AM   #15

Great thread!

I try to remember everytime I'm stuck in traffic, I'm still riding in a Porsche! Other Porsche owners may think of it as a bargain basement car but to many it's still an exotic dream car.

Wret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 05:48 AM   #16

I still get the double-take from people when they see a young, non-white person driving a Porsche.

But no, my engine can explode in any minute!!! OMG!

(Sorry to merge IMS post in here but it needs to be done.)
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:40 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
One morning I was parking in a lot downtown and as I was walking from my car I see a man getting out of his truck looking like he was going to say something to me. Well, I really was expecting the usual "Hey, sexy" kind of crap that us women seem to get so much. But instead he said, "That's a beautiful Porsche." It really made my day.
My wife has similar experience. Whenever she goes to the grocery store she seems to always have someone helps her load the groceries to her car. From there thay start asking her about the car. The other day she was at Home Depot loading the boxes of tile she just bought. Immidiately someone that was walking by loaded the boxes for her. She seems to have this experience all the time.

Why can't I get this kind of treatment? Oh well.
cas951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2008, 06:54 AM   #18

Nice thoughts expressed here. Not everyone can afford to have a fair weather car that is admired by so many. So, we should feel privilaged. These 'up to 10 yrs old cars' are not exotic cars, but we have a lot of fun with them. Personally, I had to wait until I retired to buy it. It's really not more $s that what most everyone drives around it, but because it's not practicle and requires having another car (especially in snow country) so it's outside of most folks budgets.
It also takes some of the savvy that we readers have for keeping them is great shape without reliance on a dealer which would break the bank. If I had 100K to spend, I'd maybe be driving a super 911 Cab, but probably not really having any more fun.
Bob