Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2008, 01:45 PM   #1

Cool In dash satellite radio question

I've searched all over in the DIY forums and in the general discussion forums but haven't found anyone who has actually installed a satellite radio in their console. I'd like to add an XM radio to the open spot under my existing radio but I want it to look like it was meant to be there and not some sloppy, funky mounting bracket. I don't plan on taking it out and have it be portable.

Does anyone have any pics of their satellite radio permanently installed?
Do you know any good places in the San Diego area that can do this?
Lastly, do you know of a good XM radio model that will mount in well to the console?

Thanks for any help!

impboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:56 AM   #2

I thought about doing this and chose instead to purchase a pioneer aftermarket from Crutchfeld that included a front aux for the ipod, a usb attachment and a was xm ready. This way, the xm was part of the unit and the reception is much better than using the fm modulator and I think more attractive than adding a unit in one of the spaces beneath the radio. Total cost including installation was only about $400. I used one of Crutchfeld's recommended local installers in Tampa. They have agreed lower prices than if you came in from the street.

The way you want to do it can be done, but you have to have an installation shop make their own plastic covering so the installation looks right. I have seen pics but can't remember where. Personally, I think the one unit looks better

Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2008, 12:02 PM   #3

Thanks Eric. That gives me another direction to consider. I didn't want to lose my base unit since it does a great job but I'm up for making a complete change too.

evan
Old 10-31-2008, 01:13 PM   #4

I am a Sirius fan. I went with an older Starmate model because you can get a mounting car that works really well in the Boxster. You have to do a little fit work but it isn't too bad. I also used the FM modulator relay inline with the antenna.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 03:25 AM   #5

XM Roady swapped between two cars

Hi;

I don't know if this is what your looking for but on my side, I'm using the std Roady XT bracket because I'm swapping my sat radio between my two cars. In both cars, wiring is hidden and I'm very satisfied of my installation. See att. pics.

Good luck.

Thierry
Upgrades so far: 4 Stalks installed,OBC, Cruise Control, Variable wipers, Rear speakers, Alpine CDEHD149BT deck, Alpine MRP-F250 4 ch. amplifier, Blaupunkt THb 200A pre-amplified subwoofer, XM radio integration, 997 shifter, front motor mount, LN Engineering IMS upgrade and much more.
tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:53 AM   #6

If you care at all about sound quality you are not going to want to use an FM Modulator. No matter how good the unit and the install, its a significant compromise versus "doing it right."

The factory Porsche radio really isn't anything great, so why not just upgrade to a newer, aftermarket radio that has XM or Serrius capability?
Old 11-02-2008, 01:33 PM   #7

The FM modulator relay actually works really well. When the Sirius unit is on, it block the normal antenna signal and injects it's own signal into the radio. When the Sirius unit is off, it allows the antenna to receive terrestrial signals.

I tried to use the output on the Sirius unit to interface with the CD changer inputs on the factory radio. Unfortunately, the CDR-23 uses the fiber optic connection for the CD changer. If you have a CR/CDR-220 and want to use the CD changer input, I have the connection kit here I am will to get rid of.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 08:36 AM   #8

Tamarsha,

Your setup is exactly what I think I'm looking for.

However, if putting an XM/Sirrus ready head unit in to replace the factory one will still get me access to satellite radio, then that seems like a great option too.

Thierry,

Thanks for posting your setup. I just don't need my satellite radio to be portable.

I appreciate all the feedback from everyone.