Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-28-2008, 05:44 AM   #1

Question Help please. Window doesn't clear top

I'm having a new problem with my 2002 Boxster. When I open the driver's side door, the glass only drops approximately 1/4 inch instead of the amount required to clear the top. When I open and close the door the glass hits the top. Is there a reprograming for this or is it a part that I can replace DIY? Thanks.

2002Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:50 AM   #2

Look in the owner’s manual about reprogramming the window position after disconnecting the battery. I am pretty sure the procedure is to disconnect the negative terminal, wait a minute and reconnect. Get in, close the door, one touch the window down, then one touch it back up to the top. I had to do it once when my driver’s side widow decided to stop working one day.
tamarsha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamarsha
Look in the owner’s manual about reprogramming the window position after disconnecting the battery. I am pretty sure the procedure is to disconnect the negative terminal, wait a minute and reconnect. Get in, close the door, one touch the window down, then one touch it back up to the top. I had to do it once when my driver’s side widow decided to stop working one day.

Great. Maybe there is hope. Will disconnecting the battery also require me to reprogram the stereo on an '02?
Old 10-28-2008, 10:21 AM   #4

Hummmm... not sure about the radio. Mine is an '03.
They quite with that whole punch in a code thing. Instead, now when I park my car in the sun on hot day, after start up the radio says "PROTECT" and it won't do anything till it cools off and the alarm is reset. I guess that is progress.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:26 PM   #5

I just tried the window down -->up 5 seconds reset but it did nothing. I noticed that the glass doesn't come down enough but if i press it down manually it stops at the point it should be lowering to.
Old 10-28-2008, 04:17 PM   #6

Something else I found that you might want to try...

"Start the car, put the window all the way down, then push and hold the button in the up position, when the window reaches the top and stops moving, keep the switch depressed for at least 5 seconds, at no point of putting the window up and holding the button after the window has finished, do you release the button. If you do start over. This will tell the window module where it is in it's travel.
You need to have the door closed while doing this."

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=435016
Old 10-28-2008, 04:30 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
See if you can push the window down manually the rest of the way. If so you need a new window regulator. I just replaced this on my 98 a few weeks ago.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 04:34 PM   #8
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
http://www.bombaydigital.com/boxster/projects/window/

I got the part from Sunset for about $175 including shipping.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 10:54 AM   #9

I'm having the same window problem on my 2003 Boxster S. Only on the passengers side. Just started this past weekend. I'm going to lower the window and raise it and hold for 5 seconds with door closed, ( as advised here), and see if this works. I can manually raise and lower the window at this time. It just doesn't jump down when I pull on the door handle like it did before. When I try to close the door the window is too high, for door to close. Does anybody have any other suggestions if this procedure I'm going to try doesn't work.
358Ron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 11:16 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul View Post
See if you can push the window down manually the rest of the way. If so you need a new window regulator. I just replaced this on my 98 a few weeks ago.
+1
After opening the door, if you can push the window down the 1/2 inch it's suppose to drop , then it's a stretched regulator cable. There is a Temp Fix if you search or you need to replace the regulator. I put in a spacer in the cable stop and that lets my window drop about a 1/4 inch, just enough to allow the door to open and close

The radio thing, yes if you disconnect the battery, you need to enter in the radio code
Old 08-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #11

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 358Ron View Post
I'm having the same window problem on my 2003 Boxster S. Only on the passengers side. Just started this past weekend. I'm going to lower the window and raise it and hold for 5 seconds with door closed, ( as advised here), and see if this works. I can manually raise and lower the window at this time. It just doesn't jump down when I pull on the door handle like it did before. When I try to close the door the window is too high, for door to close. Does anybody have any other suggestions if this procedure I'm going to try doesn't work.
The procedure you are going to do is to initialize the windows such as after battery change. Do your windows attempt to drop using the inside or outside door handles? If not it may be the micro switch on the door handle.
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 12:50 PM   #12

Deja vu all over again

Last week I had the same problem and got help on this forum - the thread is still up on page 2. Suggestions for help included the "hold the window button up for 5 seconds" which didn't work, and "buy a new window regulator" and "microswitches" but also got this link from one of the forum members:
Window regulator permanent fix for stretched cable
For some reason this is not a live link so go to page 2 in Today's Threads to find much the same thread to find this link which suggests using a bicycle cable adjuster.

I'm not at all mechanical and don't have the necessary tools but a boxster owning friend did this hack for me on Saturday and it worked just fine.

Good luck!

Larry (The Bald Eagle)
Bald Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 04:17 AM   #13

Have a look here:

http://986forum.com/forums/general-discussions/25704-window-regulator-permanent-fix-stretched-cable.html

Replacing the window regulator with a new one will fix the problem. Should you chose to go that route.

emore93 is offline   Reply With Quote