Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-27-2008, 02:02 PM   #1

5mm Spacer Questions

I have a 2008 987S with 19" wheels. An RS 60 owner is upgrading his wheels and has offered me his 5 mm spacers with the longer bolts. I believe this is also a factory option on all 987's. My question: Is this merely a cosmetic upgrade or should I notice any difference in the handling characteristic(s) to the car?
vincesf

vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 02:10 PM   #2

Depends on wheel offsets.
I think it is cosmetic in most cases though. However,if you don't want them,I am looking for a pair of 5mm spacers and bolts right now. I've gone to 18X10 on the rear and they are just too close to the suspension.
If you don't need them,please let me know.
Cheers
Mike
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:32 AM   #3

You're widening the track, so yes there should be a handling difference. Will you be able to feel it? HIGHLY unlikely as it will not be a pronounced difference. Mostly wheel spacers are added for the looks, but again it's a very slight change which probably only you will notice, at least with 5mm spacers.

Kirk
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:35 PM   #4

I agree with Kirk that you'd have to have a pretty well calibrated butt to feel the difference. Maybe Lewis Hamilton or some NASCAR drivers that change incredibly small things.

That said, I felt my car tracked better on the Interstate. Probly between my ears.
PCA since 1970
70Sixter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2008, 06:32 AM   #5
bmussatti

I have this factory option, and don't think it added anything to the car's handeling.

Looks very-slightly wider stance.

Makes cleaning the Carrera Classic 19" wheels a little easier (moves the wheel out slightly away from the calipers).
Old 10-29-2008, 10:55 AM   #6

Thanks for the responses, and I will give them a try, as I have 19" Carrera S wheels and believe it will be a very slight improvement in looks with improvements to handling as a bonus. I had the option to order them with my car from the factory, but thought it was a bit pricey, especially since it was an easy add-on later. Much different than not ordering the $250.00 sport steering wheel, which is very expensive to retrofit later.

vincesf

vincesf is offline   Reply With Quote