Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2008, 06:02 PM   #1

Garage
Change Clutch without removing Wheels?

I dont trust jackstands while changing a clutch. :chicken: Is it possible to get the clutch changed while having the boxster up on four ramps, with the wheels still intact? Another member here said that it was possible, but I was wondering if anyone else has actually done this? If so was it a hassle? Thanks for the feedback.

:troll:

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:31 PM   #2

I don't see why not to trust jackstands, esp. if they're good ones and not cheap stamped ones from China. Personally, I'd be more worried about having all 4 wheels on ramps, they generally don't support the same weight as stands.

When I did my Tip S filter/fluid change, I had the car on 4 jackstands - very stable. If it bothers you, keep the wheels on when you raise it and place it on stands, then give it a good lateral shove to assure yourself that it's sturdy. You'll be able to raise it higher on stands than ramps, and if you keep the wheels on, should it fall (which it won't) you will not be crushed, bruised maybe, crushed no! good luck
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 07:38 PM   #3

Don't do it. You'll mess up your alignment.

I removed the plate under the transmission once, while the car was on ramps in order to change the tranny oil. It completely changed the rear end alignment. Lucky for me, I was going in for tires the next week anyway and had it corrected then. I wouldn't try changing a clutch with the car on ramps.
roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 06:21 AM   #4
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Porsche986
I dont trust jackstands while changing a clutch. :chicken:
I was under my car while it was supported on four jack stands for the first time ever in my life this past Spring. It gave me the heebie jeebies. The person helping me tried to rock the car and showed me it was soundly seated. That helped. It was still mentally hard as heck to be under the car, but after several hours I got over it. Sorta. If it really freaks you out, take your wheels off [which it sounds like you need to do anyway] and lay them down along the sides of the car, under the rocker panels. This way your brain knows that if a stand for some reason doesn't hold the car, the wheel will give you some crush proofing. Then hopefully you can relax and get to the task.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 10:30 AM   #5

I don't know about the rest of you, but having the wheels on would not provide any additional protection in my case. My car is lowered and I have to drive it up ramps just to get a floor jack underneath. If I get crushed, I just hope it's quick!
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:41 PM   #6
pk2

Jack stands freak me out a bit to even after having been rolling around under cars since I was 14…in earthquake country.

I usually use up to 4 stands depending on my mood. All with tension on them and keep a little tension on my floor jacks. You can also put blocks in front and behind whatever wheels are on the ground. Can’t fall forward or back.

To be tsunami proof, just get it up into position on stands and wedge a spare wheel/ tire (or 2) under it where you can. No way that it is going to collapse on you

Regards, PK
Old 10-24-2008, 05:03 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Good quality jackstands are safe if placed properly. Our cars are so stiff that quite often one of the front jack stands can be very easily bumped out of place since there is no load on it. (Geometry: 3 points determine a plain.)

Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote