Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2008, 12:11 PM   #1

Garage
Dealer Serpentine Belt too tight!!

Bought a new serpentine belt for my car a few months back, finally got around to putting it on the car. Would NOT go on for anything! I used a 24" breaker bar to release all of the tension, was following the Bently routing method, even tried the pully next to the alternator. Nothing!! Pulled it out and measured it and compared to the old belt. The old belt was an inch and a quarter longer than the new belt. Went online to make sure it was the right part number, and it was. So I tried it again, this time with two sets of hands, still nothing. Even if I was able to get it on, I would be worried about wearing out the bearings on the other components because of the excessive tightness that I was anticipating it having. So I finally gave up and went and purchased a belt from NAPA, (Micro-V $39.95) brought it back home, and it slipped on perfectly. Not sure if there could have been a mislable at the belt manufacture but I am going to try to take it back to the dealer for store credit and ask my friend who works there if he has heard of the problem before.

Anyone here have similar problem with dealer serpentine belt?

Mark

986Porsche986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:23 PM   #2

Are you sure you rec'd the correct p/n? Seems odd

For the 986 there are 2 available:

996-102-151-66 - with AC
996-102-151-65 - w/out AC

I'd definitely return it. Tell 'em how you got stranded b/c they gave you an ill-fitting belt
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2008, 12:54 PM   #3

Garage
Yeah, it was the right part number with AC. Funny thing is we went to the Porsche Escape last month in Albuquerque and the whole time I felt very confident knowing that I had a new belt and tools with me, good thing I didnt have to find this out on the side of the road. I will keep you updated on what the dealer says.
Old 10-21-2008, 06:05 PM   #4

serpentine

Mark - Do you happen to have any instruction of how to install the serpentine belt? I have about 65K on my car and would like to change it. But I'm not sure if I need too. Thanks
Savanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:50 AM   #5

Garage
I used the bently manual, but here is a link that is pretty straight forward

http://theschillings.com/boxbeltcheck.htm

There is also alot of info on the forum as well. It is a pretty easy job as long as the belt fits I am pretty happy with the belt I bought from NAPA, no squeaks and it went on easy. If you need more help Private Message me.

Mark
Old 10-22-2008, 07:24 PM   #6

serpentine belt

Mark, I have one more question for you. My boxster had about 65K. Should I replace it? or waite. Also, I apprecaite for your information that you gave me.

Thank!
Don
Savanh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 11:00 AM   #7

Garage
I would suggest replacing it. How mechanically inclined would you say you are? On a scale of 1 - 10 , 10 being the most difficult. I would say this is about a 3. Just because getting to it is the most time consuming. One tool you will need is a 24mm socket with a breaker bar, or you could use a 24mm wrench. But I would recommend the socket. It is also a great DIY because you will learn a little bit more about your box.

Anyone else want to chime in on this one??

Let me know if I can help with anything else.

Mark

Last edited by 986Porsche986; 10-23-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 10-23-2008, 11:33 AM   #8

I'd honestly consider it more along the lines of 1.5

It isn't hard at all - there are just a # of pieces/parts to take out to get in there but none are intricate...
- put top in service postion - 2 cables released
- remove rear cubby shelf and carpet on top of engine (4 plastic locks - 2 on each)
- remove carpet from firewall (4 plastic screws)
- remove 10 (IIRC) 10mm bolts/nuts from firewall

once you're in it takes no more than 5 min to swap it out. Total time to do this should be no more than 45min.

Anyhow, tips I can provide....
- use caution when removing metal cover from firewall as the edges are sharp - use gloves or pry cover off wall w/ a screwdriver
- a 15/16 socket or wrench will work too (24mm can be hard to find)
- save old belt and keep as spare (in front trunk w/ spare/toolkit). put a piece of tape around it and mark tape indicating direction of belt travel
- in case of above emergency use... use an awl and scratch/etch in a diagram of the routing for each tensioner/pulley/accessory so you'll have it handy in case you do have an emergency
- double check and make sure the ribs of the belt are lined up on each pulley/deflector
- put the cover back on temporarily w/ 3 - 4 bolts and start car to test. If there's any squealing - shut it down immediately and double check the ribs in each groove.
- if all is good - just put it all back together again and go
Go to it - it's easy
Old 10-23-2008, 11:54 AM   #9

Garage
Thanks for the input Burg those are some good tips there. BTW, I measured the "tight" belt in question. First I took the old belt, marked a line on the back side of it with a sharpie, placed in on a flat concrete floor, with the ribs facing up, then I marked a starting line on the concrete floor so the two lines were matched up, then slowly rolled the belt along the floor until the line i drew on the belt was back on the floor. Then I measured between the two lines on the floor which was 83 1/2" Then I did the same with the new belt and it measured 82 1/8". So 1 3/8" shorter!! I measured this way twice and came up with the same results plus or minus 1/8". The 1 3/8 seems like a lot to me. There was no way that belt was going to get on there without a fight. I still plan on going to the dealer when I get the chance, I will keep you updated with their response.

Mark
Old 10-23-2008, 12:03 PM   #10

You got a mis-labled non-AC belt. Since AC is standard on all US model Boxsters (not standard on all ROW models), it seems silly that there are even non-AC belts in the country, but there are. I got one mis-labled from an Indy parts supplier, returned it and got the proper one from the dealer.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:10 PM   #11

Garage
So your saying the printing on the belt was incorrect? Because it is marked with the proper part no. 996-102-151-66 - with AC. I thought I read somewhere that the belt for non AC cars was supposed to be like 5 inches shorter?
Old 10-25-2008, 08:47 AM   #12

Garage
Went to the dealer parts department to return the belt, told the guy what happened with the belt not fitting. Funny thing, he did say "I seem to have heard something like that happening last week" then the subject got changed because he needed my credit card info to credit back my account. So he had no problem giving me a refund on a belt that I purchased 4 months ago and I got my $54 back! :dance:
Old 10-27-2008, 02:49 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986Porsche986
... giving me a refund on a belt that I purchased 4 months ago and I got my $54 back! :dance:
$54 ???

I got mine from Sunset Porsche for $21 last year....