Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2008, 05:48 AM   #1

18X10 Fitment Question...

Hi all..
I just put 18X10 Sport Classics on the rear of my 2000S.
Absolutely love them. IMO the best looking wheel for Boxsters.
Anyway,they have the 47mm offset but I can't believe how close they are to the strut. I'm talking about a few mm. Like maybe 2 or 3 mm away!!!
Is this normal? Will they rub in corners?
I'd like to hear from others that have a similar setup.
Thanks guys...
Mike

MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:51 AM   #2

I have the same size in Carrera Classics with 47 mm offset and H&R sport springs and neg 2.5* camber. The only problem I've had is the wheel rubbing the parking brake cable. I've had to cable tie each to the lower arm to keep from rubbing. Nothing on the strut after 3 years with some autocrossing, as well. BTW, mine is an '02 S.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 05:55 AM   #3

Wow...that was fast!!
Do you remember the wheels being REALLY close to the struts at the top on the insides?
My car is all stock suspension.
Thanks
Old 10-07-2008, 09:45 AM   #4

I have aftermarket 18" carrera lightweight wheels with Bilstein PSS9 coilovers. I also had to tie off the parking brake cables so they did not rub in the rear. The clearance was very, very tight, so I added 5 mm spacers all around and that seemed to give enough space to make me happy.

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2008, 11:07 AM   #5

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
You'll be fine. Add spacers if your paranoid or want a more aggresive stance.

I too had to zip tie my e-brake cable back.....ugh. The sounds when it was rubbing sounded like I was getting a flat tire.
Old 10-07-2008, 12:59 PM   #6

Thanks everyone..I did zip tie the e brake cables and I'll be listening for
any rubbing issues.

Ed...where did you get your 5mm spacers and did they require longer
wheel bolts?
Cheers
Mike
Old 11-06-2008, 10:49 PM   #7

18 Sport Classic II

I just bought this set of 18 Sport Classic II . My offset is 65 and I put 12 mm spacers that I had and there is a very minimal clearance. I am thinking on getting new suspension too, but am worried about the rubbing fender issue. Any ideas if I should drop car or just leave as is?
francars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 05:46 AM   #8

Check out the Ksport thread that Insite started a few months back.

I have these coilovers and they're really quite good according to those who know (I'm not a suspension aficionado by any stretch of the imagination).

I have 18 inch carrera light aftermarkets and wow, that ebrake line was so close it freaked me out and I added spacers.

Then I had the coilovers added and thought I could get away without spacers, but had to put 1/4 inch (5 or 7mm, I forget) spacers back on all the way around to prevent rubbing.

I have some 1/2 inch spacers and longer bolts for sale if anyone wants them. Very cool look from the back on a non-dropped boxster. PM if you are interested ($50 plus shipping).
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2008, 06:26 AM   #9

Hi all..here's an update on this thread.
The inside clearance from wheel to strut was so tight that I had to add 5mm spacers,just to be safe. The problem I'm having,with and without spacers,is a rub.
It seems to happen only on the left side and only when I hit a DIP in the road.
Not a sharp bump, but a shallow dip where the car seems to dip down in the rear.
It's hard to describe. I've looked and can't see any evidence of the tire rub but it definitely happens.
Any and all suggestions are welcome!
The wheels and the stance look great,but I sure hate these drivability issues...
Cheers
Mike