Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 11:44 AM   #1

Garage project started!

Finally got to start on my new project... my GARAGE....

here's how the garage looked when i bought it:

most of the stuff on the wall pulled down, holes patched up...

pulled down the already-falling-off pegboard and remaining things, moved stuff away from the walls...

top portion painted white... you can kinda tell the bottom 1/4 or so of the wall is an off-white... that's the color the whole garage was first.... barely noticeable in the pic, but definitely noticeable in person...

taped off the divider using a laser level... freakin amazing tool!

almost half done with the bottom portion!

all done! behind that water heater was a PITA!

tape removed, time to clean up!

all done! (for now)

next part is to put epoxy flooring down... grey with black/white/blue flecks in it... possibly some white shelving and/or cabinets in the future as well...

If people came from apes, why are there still apes?
lucky_topher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:03 PM   #2
FTD

That is soooo nice. Very nice.
What is that white, rectangular, plugged in thing on the left?
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 12:27 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
What is that white, rectangular, plugged in thing on the left?
My guess is a mini fridge.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:44 PM   #4

Garage
I'm surprised you didn't close off (w/a door) your hot water heater. I'd watch that IPod on the fridge if you leave your garage door open. Nice job though on the walls, the epoxy floor will finish it off.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:59 PM   #5

looks good. I don't have a garage on my house but we plan to have one build in
a few years. I can't get a 911 till then (not getting rid of the Boxster either).
Chris
Old 09-30-2008, 01:04 PM   #6
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonwind
looks good. I don't have a garage on my house but we plan to have one build in
a few years. I can't get a 911 till then (not getting rid of the Boxster either).
Chris
When I bought my house, I tackled a LOT of things. I thought I would get to the garage in a few years. I have been there 6 years now. It smells like it is getting closer - but it kills me that it has taken so long. I did however paint the floor right away. I used 'concrete paint' instead of epoxy. Now I am stuck with concrete paint for future touch up, etc. Bummer. The epoxys in recent years are excellent.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:09 PM   #7

Looks good...here's an old pic of my garage; it needs a fixer-upper!
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 01:10 PM   #8

Great colors, I did the same! I epoxy painted the floor black with gray, brown, and white specs which when clean kinda resembles a granite... sorry for the only pic I had online.

I want to find or paint a red stripe at the top of the gray portion.

nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 02:54 PM   #9

yes, it's a mini fridge in the corner

i'm considering blocking off the hot water heater, but haven't decided yet.... i wasn't ready to tackle that project yet so i stuck with it as is for now... i'm sure it'll be something i end up doing in the winter...

i'm considering a stripe at the divider between grey and white as well... posisbly a checkered wallpaper border or something... not sure yet...

Old 09-30-2008, 02:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran
Great colors, I did the same! I epoxy painted the floor black with gray, brown, and white specs which when clean kinda resembles a granite... sorry for the only pic I had online.

Now that's a nice looking car.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 04:58 PM   #11

This is a timely thread - we are adding a second bay to our garage and rehabbing the existing one-car space.

The floor of the existing garage is badly stained. (Based on the junk mail we receive addressed to the previous occupant he owned a Jaguar). I'd appreciate feedback on the durability and ease of application for the epoxy floor coating. One of my neighbors put down plastic floor tile. The tiles look good, but the epoxy seems to be a more economical option
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:23 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxferran

WOW, SEXIEST 996 I HAVE SEEN!!! RESPECT!!

Old 09-30-2008, 05:25 PM   #13

I have had the epoxy floor in my garage for 3 years and I love it.
Oil spills wipe up with only a shop towel, very easy to hose down and squeege out and seems to be very durable.
IMO best thing for the garage since the invention of the drop light.
chrisdridley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 05:47 PM   #14

Nice.
What's the height of the bottom section?
wanna986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:01 AM   #15

Send a message via Yahoo to Chills
Looks good.

Since we are posting pics of our garages I worked on mine this summer. I painted the walls and did an epoxy floor. Next up is metal cabinets to clean up the left side.

BEFORE:

MIDDLE:

AFTER:

It's not about the summit, it's about the climb.

http://i133.photobucket.com/albums/q46/chills1138/2.jpg
Chills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:35 AM   #16

My neighbor is having his garage floor done in a grey flake epoxy as I write this response. I'm very curious to see how it comes out, as I have no problem taking on a project like this, if it is worth the effort.

He also had Lowes come in and put custom grey cabinetry throughout the space; should be in a Griot's catalog.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 05:58 AM   #17

your garage will be great when you are done.

I did this project about a year ago. I painted the walls white, epoxied the floor myself with the DIY kit from Lowes, and installed shelves and overhead storage.

Those hyloft (there are other brands too) overhead storage s ystems are great if you have the space above your garage door. even when the garage is rolled up, we have about two-three feet of wasted space above it...those hanging storage systems let you put all the seasonal decorations, and other items you rarely use up there. easier and more accessible than an attic, and up out of the way. kind of a PITA to install...but they are great.

I opted to put the epoxy down and not use the flake stuff. i felt it looked dirty..and I just wanted plain gray..so mine is just painted epoxy gray, no flakes. hose it out, sweep it out - it stays clean looking.

we are in the process of getting garage cabinets to replace the cheapy costco metal racks -t ha will really finish it off.

good luck!!
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2008, 01:52 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
your garage will be great when you are done.

I did this project about a year ago. I painted the walls white, epoxied the floor myself with the DIY kit from Lowes, and installed shelves and overhead storage.

Those hyloft (there are other brands too) overhead storage s ystems are great if you have the space above your garage door. even when the garage is rolled up, we have about two-three feet of wasted space above it...those hanging storage systems let you put all the seasonal decorations, and other items you rarely use up there. easier and more accessible than an attic, and up out of the way. kind of a PITA to install...but they are great.

I opted to put the epoxy down and not use the flake stuff. i felt it looked dirty..and I just wanted plain gray..so mine is just painted epoxy gray, no flakes. hose it out, sweep it out - it stays clean looking.

we are in the process of getting garage cabinets to replace the cheapy costco metal racks -t ha will really finish it off.

good luck!!
any tips on the floor? did you do the acid etch before hand?

Old 10-01-2008, 05:25 PM   #19

Hi,

Nice garages. I just bought a place that finally has one. One thing seems to be missing that mine has, tricycles, wagons and other outside kid toys :ah:

Regarding enclosing the hot water tank, don't make the mistake of not being able to remove the tank when it needs to be replaced.

Also, regarding floor paint. a solid colour might be better when it comes to finding that small part that you just dropped. My garage still has the concrete finish, but the lab where I work has a speckled floor, and if you drop something, its good as lost forever. Just something to consider.
profpenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2008, 09:23 AM   #20
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_topher
any tips on the floor? did you do the acid etch before hand?
Here's my experience:
First degrease the floor. I used dish soap. It worked just fine. Scrub, scrub, scrub and scrub to make sure it is really cleaned. Then I mopped it with clear water, several times, to be absolutely sure all degreaser is completely removed. This took several days. Caution: I initially used a hose in the garage. Dumb idea because water went under the baseboards and into the basement, damaging a very valuable rug. You probably don't want water running under baseboards, even on a slab. Let it COMPLETELY dry, then etch with acid. The acid etch was less work than getting all the degreaser up. I used a 2 gallon pump sprayer and wore a face mask and thick rubber gloves. You let this dry for until it powders, then use clear water to get it completely mopped up. Let the floor COMPLETELY dry, then you are ready to paint/epoxy. So I think it took me a week from start to finish, including letting the paint cure.
As a DIY rating 1 - 5, its a 1.