Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2008, 05:35 AM   #1

Car Trouble Starting

Hi,
My Water pump broke last week and the belt fell off cutting the oil line and the coolant and oil all spilled all over the highway and then the car came to a halt and overheated and died. My mechanic fixed it. When I left the shop it started up fine. I drove a half hour home. the car sat for about a half hour. When I tried to go somewhere the car had trouble turning over. I turned the key and it sounded like it was barely chuggin along to start the card. it took about 30 seconds before it reved up. If the the car has been sitting for a while like over night it usually starts up fine but I do notice that when it turns over it rumble for a couple of seconds kind of like trying to catch its breath . When driving there is no problems. never stalls or anything.
Before I bring it back to the mechanic. Is it possible that the Battery is the problem or does it sound like it could be the starter. my mechanic said that when the car over heated after the Water pump broke that it might have melted or damaged parts of the starter. Please help because. The battery is only a year old. I can't tell if I am getting scammed to pay for more repairs.
thanks

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2008, 07:08 AM   #2

Even though the battery is a year old, it can still be a problem. Manufacturing defects, severe shock (bumps) can damage a battery. Also, if the car just sat at the mechanic's with the battery installed, this can pull the battery charge down.

Also, you could have a failing alternator, one which cannot maintain the battery charge sufficiently, or one which is throwing too much current and maybe damaging the battery.

Best to have the battery and alternator tested. Any AutoZone will do this for you. Probably a good idea to charge the battery up - low current battery maintainer is best - takes longer, but better for the battery.

Doubtful it's the starter because once the car starts, it's job is finished and wouldn't effect the way the car runs after it's running.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2008, 04:44 AM   #3

I brought ito my mechanic. He tested the battery and said it is fully charged. He said it was the startedr by the sound it was making. Can I install this myself. is it a easy fix? I need to save money because I just paid for the water pump plus 5 other things that got damaged when the water pump broke.

Joji is offline   Reply With Quote