Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-16-2008, 04:23 PM   #1

Engine check light- radiator leaking?

My engine check light came on today, bad luck . Before I take it to the mechanic (he's asking for 90 dollars to get it diagnosed) I had a look around to see if I could spot the problem. Seems like the radiator is leaking, I filled her up full with coolant about 3 weeks ago, and today I check to see that it is near the minimum mark.

Now, first off, can I use a sealant and pour that in to stop the leak? Or do I have to get a new radiator altogether. And also, if I do need to get a new radiator would it be wise to get a 90k service and new clutch done at the same time?

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2008, 08:54 PM   #2

You don't want to use Stop-Leak !!

Leaky radiators are very uncommon for the Boxster. Much more likely toward the top of the list would be leaky hose connections (Porsche uses crappy hose clamps and a TSB calls for replacement to proper worm clamps whenever any cooling system work is done), cracked coolant reservoirs (very comon - pull the trunk floor and look for coolant pooling there, or signs that coolant once pooled there), waterpump failure (increasingly common on older Boxsters. look for signs of coolant around/under the pump), failed head gasket (pull the dipstick and look for a milky emulsion where there s/b only oil).

1st find where the coolant is leaking. Although a leaky radiator cannot be ruled out, it's not likely to be the cause. There's no savings to be found by doing the clutch when correcting a cooling system issue.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 09-16-2008 at 08:58 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2008, 11:00 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
You don't want to use Stop-Leak !!

Leaky radiators are very uncommon for the Boxster. Much more likely toward the top of the list would be leaky hose connections (Porsche uses crappy hose clamps and a TSB calls for replacement to proper worm clamps whenever any cooling system work is done), cracked coolant reservoirs (very comon - pull the trunk floor and look for coolant pooling there, or signs that coolant once pooled there), waterpump failure (increasingly common on older Boxsters. look for signs of coolant around/under the pump), failed head gasket (pull the dipstick and look for a milky emulsion where there s/b only oil).

1st find where the coolant is leaking. Although a leaky radiator cannot be ruled out, it's not likely to be the cause. There's no savings to be found by doing the clutch when correcting a cooling system issue.
Alright thank you, I'll give it a thorough check tomorrow. I haven't yet taken it to the mechanic to find out why the check engine light is on, but I'm pretty confident that is the case this time.

Any idea what this could run cost wise? I'm not worried about the price, I just want to see what I'm facing.

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote