Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-27-2008, 05:45 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Considering the car is front wheel drive I question that statement.
It is AWD... and I disagree with the off-the-line performance. AWD tends to hinder off the line performance, to a point. Recall the DSM twins of the mid 90s- the FWD Laser was quicker to 60 than the AWD Talon. Both had the same 4G63t or whatever. Grip can be a bad thing sometimes... plus, AWD cars tend to be boring to drive (unless you have an obscene amount of power and a good chassis).

Anyway, I've driven an MS6, and I'm of the opinion that the 2.3 is mismatched. It fits the MS3 pretty damn well, but it felt wheezy and too rubber-bandy in power delivery (nice descriptor, huh?) in the bigger 6. I remember seeing them on Mazda lots with heavy discounts... they couldn't even give them away. Needed a ballsier V6 instead.

More to the point, if the driver in the MS6 against the Boxster took off leisurely, there is no way it'd beat a Boxster. Too laggy, as evidenced by the fact that a rolling 5-60 start takes a full 1.5 seconds longer than it does from a dig.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:32 PM   #22

Street racing is of course, not appropriate.

Old 08-27-2008, 06:52 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmboxster
If someone tries to race me, I just laugh, turn up my Steven Ray Vaughan, and roll off.... :dance:
I'm with you. If I wanted to prove something, it wouldn't be in a Boxster, or on the street.

I let them go, I think it deflates them, or they have a good day bragging on how they beat a Porsche. I think it upsets them more if you refuse to go.

'Course, they're driving home in their mazda, mustang, civic or what have you, while I'm the one driving the Porsche.

1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Old 08-27-2008, 07:07 PM   #24

Are you sure you drove a MS6? There is absolutely no turbo lag with the 2.3 MZR DISI Turbo. They make huge low end power. ...more than any weazy Japanese V6. Actually more than some American V8's! Agree on huge discounts! Mazda did terrible job marketing the car as it wasnt as boy racer as the EVO or STi and it wasnt as refined as the V6 regular Mazda 6. The car was a steal I got MS6 GT Model with full leather, heated seats, stability control, traction control, HID headlights, and tons of other options that listed fo $31K MSRP for $25K.

Yeah they are slow off the line! LOL! Just check out these videos.

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/mustang-GT-2005-VS-6-2006_59977.htm
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/mazdaspeed-6-VS-corvette_72478.htm

I routinely leave Corvettes and Shelby 500GT's off the line at the strip. They dont catch me until halfway through second gear. Then its all over. If the MS6 motor was weasy with turbo lag I wouldnt place as high in AX events either. HUGE torque and AWD are the cars key advantage. There arent many Porsches that make 280 ft/lbs at 3000 RPM.

Finally there's real life and what you read in magazines. So hope everyone has learned when a humble looking Japanese sedan pulls up next to you and revs its engine you just need to turn up your stereo and give up any hope of being a boy or girl racer because your doors will be blown off by some punk not worth wasting your time on.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samson
It is AWD... and I disagree with the off-the-line performance. AWD tends to hinder off the line performance, to a point. Recall the DSM twins of the mid 90s- the FWD Laser was quicker to 60 than the AWD Talon. Both had the same 4G63t or whatever. Grip can be a bad thing sometimes... plus, AWD cars tend to be boring to drive (unless you have an obscene amount of power and a good chassis).

Anyway, I've driven an MS6, and I'm of the opinion that the 2.3 is mismatched. It fits the MS3 pretty damn well, but it felt wheezy and too rubber-bandy in power delivery (nice descriptor, huh?) in the bigger 6. I remember seeing them on Mazda lots with heavy discounts... they couldn't even give them away. Needed a ballsier V6 instead.

More to the point, if the driver in the MS6 against the Boxster took off leisurely, there is no way it'd beat a Boxster. Too laggy, as evidenced by the fact that a rolling 5-60 start takes a full 1.5 seconds longer than it does from a dig.
Old 08-27-2008, 07:47 PM   #25

Don't want to drive a Mazda

First some disclaimers; I'm a newbie, Don't race, Have a decent size ego but not from my cars.....no interest in driving a Mazda, for any reason.

Crash
Old 08-28-2008, 05:17 AM   #26

I didn't mean for this to get turned into a Mazda commercial.

I simply said that the Solara was embarrassed. And I was not "racing" him.

Again, this was a turn with acceleration. I find it hard to believe that there's a lot of Japanese cars that could out handle a Boxster in the turns. If so it's probbaly because of a better driver.

Everyone know's Boxsters are not straight runners. If so we'd all buy vette's, cobra's etc.

BTW, I drove the Passat today b/c it's supposed to rain. I didn't see the Solara either.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:47 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkycrash
First some disclaimers; I'm a newbie, Don't race, Have a decent size ego but not from my cars.....no interest in driving a Mazda, for any reason.

Crash
OUCH!

I love reading how the mazda owner claiming it's some kind of revelations that his 4 door mazda can beat our little boxsters.

He has no idea of what's out there.

Last edited by ekam; 08-28-2008 at 05:53 AM.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:52 AM   #28

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,412194,00.html

Old 08-28-2008, 06:34 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee

very sad!!!
Old 08-28-2008, 06:40 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blkboxster
very sad!!!

Indeed. Sadly I see this kind of crap all the time on SOCAL highways. These kids think they are supermen and we are all just spectators.

Old 08-28-2008, 08:11 AM   #31

I drove a Mazdaspeed 3 earlier this year and it was quite the pocket rocket. Even with its torque management programming in 1st and 2nd there was noticeable torque steer, although not as bad as an Accord V6 Coupe. If I recall correctly from the car mags, the engine in the 3 made a little less HP than in the 6 but equal torque? I also recall 0-60 was slightly slower than a Boxster S despite the bigger hp and torque numbers of the Mazda. Also recall that the 3's acceleration for 0-60 and 0-100 were better than the MS6's. As far as skid pad numbers, the Mazdas were in the high .8s, whereas an '05 S was doing .99. Except for a GTR, I don't think there are many Japanese cars that will hang in a curve with a Box. Of course Grant's stoplight sleeper Boxster slayer has custom suspension bits.
Old 08-28-2008, 01:43 PM   #32

I think mazda has some interesting ECU work in their fwd turbo cars (so does dodge with the srt-4) which limits power in 1st and 2nd gear.

Aside from that, I'm happy with the power my box puts out. Its not amazing from a stand still, but it gets the job done. I was driving to the Poconos with my brother (and our luggage) and we raced a guy in an e46 M3 (he was alone) and we kept up nose to nose with him from 65 to 130 (the gearing and aerodynamics helped i suppose).

I don't usually race (the m3 guy had been driving "with" us for quite some time), but on the way down from NY to williamsburg VA on the Richmond beltway I "raced" some kid in a civic si right before my exit. I did it more to amuse him than myself.

Felt like a I did some public service, but racing can be really dangerous. A lot of these guys try to initiate a race in extremely inappropriate places (i.e. high vehicle and pedestrian traffic). As long as your safe about it, it can be kinda fun me thinks

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
Old 08-28-2008, 01:57 PM   #33
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
Indeed. Sadly I see this kind of crap all the time on SOCAL highways. These kids think they are supermen and we are all just spectators.
Yup. Street racing is for little boys whose nads haven't dropped yet. Take it to the track.
Old 08-28-2008, 02:12 PM   #34

Please note that when I said the MS6 beat my wifes 335XI it was because she had no intention of racing him on the street. The kid was going flat out while she was just driving normally (yeah she likes speed). No way the MSd could have taken her car if she tried. The 335 is no slouch either as its got 300 lb-ft of torque coming on at 1500 RPM! Compared to my boxster its got way more power but it really is a sleeper car. Not that much fun to drive in my opinion but very refined. As for owning a Mazda rocket? I'll pass

Quote:
Originally Posted by ekam
OUCH!

I love reading how the mazda owner claiming it's some kind of revelations that his 4 door mazda can beat our little boxsters.

He has no idea of what's out there.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
Old 08-28-2008, 03:35 PM   #35

Wink

Why do these kind of threads always start arguments ? Drive what you like, enjoy it and who cares what others think about your choice of car. I love my boxster, not interested in street racing whatsoever and if others drivers don't like it, so what.... Japanese make outstanding cars as does Porsche, they are just different. If someone offered me a free Honda Accord and Boxster I would accept both of them with a HUGE smile on my face. Peace.
Old 08-28-2008, 05:00 PM   #36

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
I was on the highway once, in a disappearing left lane, and sped up to get in front and over, and a big honking F350 gassed it to 'race' me. It was funny. I had plenty of lane left so it wasn't malicious. I just think its funny how truck lovers LOVE their trucks. It was like a mansion dueling with a dog house.

I've had more huge trucks run me down on the interstate than I care to count.

I knew a judge who had a jaguar convertible (not sure of the model). He had some young kids come up next to him in some rice burner suped up POS and rev the engine, so he just took off and left them in the dust. He was like, "I don't know what they did to their car, but mine just has a big fast engine, period." So yeah, they got their asses whipped by a 50+ year old judge.
Old 08-28-2008, 06:13 PM   #37

What's wrong with 50 ??
Old 08-28-2008, 06:24 PM   #38

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
nothing, but I'm sure when you are 18 you don't want to have someone old as your dad beat you racing.
Old 08-28-2008, 07:20 PM   #39

sometimes I step back and realize that this is a 986 forum which puts the likes of me in the 987 in the minority....

BUT...after reading this thread.....if anyone can confuse the handling of a Mazda Sedan and label it as just as good as the boxster....you all need to trade up to the 987

My car will never be confused for anything else...nothing drives like it...of course I don't have the honor of spinning lambos but nothing under 100K I've been in feels remotely as good....I've spent sometime in the new Mercedes C350...not even close....I doubt the mazda 6 speed turbo supercharged awd compressor gtx rs sedan would come close
Old 08-28-2008, 07:55 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by super66

sometimes I step back and realize that this is a 986 forum which puts the likes of me in the 987 in the minority....BUT...after reading this thread.....if anyone can confuse the handling of a Mazda Sedan and label it as just as good as the boxster....you all need to trade up to the 987
Uh...ok... Be even better with an S model though right? Oh...sorry.

Last edited by Adam; 08-28-2008 at 08:19 PM.
Closed Thread