Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2008, 07:35 AM   #1

Boxster 986 2.5 1998'!! To buy or not to buy???

Hi guys, and first of all congratulations for this wonderful forum!! I have spent many nights learning about this wonderful car named 'Boxster'!

I am currenlty located in Uk, and seriously thinking of buying a Boxster, as a present for myshelf finishing my postgraduate degree and finding a good job back in Greece!

So, I am thinking of spending something around 7.5 - 8k pounds (around 15k dollars maybe?), to buy a 986 2.5 1998' boxster! In this year and price region, I have around 30-40 options, with miles from 70k to 100k.

My questions are the following:
1) Do you think that a 10-year old 2.5 boxster can be a pretty reliable car to enjoy, and not turn into a money pit??? I am thinking that all the major problems and niggles must have been already sorted, with the car being 10 years old. Am I right????

2) What is an aproximate cost for maintenance per year that I should expect of a 2.5 1998 Boxster??? Does it have to be serviced every year or every two years?

3) Do you think that such a buy is a sensible think to do?? I am thinking this is a lot of a car for that money!! I am not expecting the car to be trouble-free, but I would like a fun reliable car with most problems sorted that I can enjoy!

Thank you guys in advance,

Hope to become one of you soon!
John!

johnchristoforou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 07:56 AM   #2
Track rat

Garage
I have one of the same vintage with 75k miles and it has been bulletproof with no issues for the last two years. The only expenses have been oil, gas, tires and track day entry fees. Others on this forum have not been so lucky though.

Every car is different and the prior ownership and care is far more important than year or model to me. The joy of driving a Boxster often outweighs the periodic inconvenience of additional maintenance and repair issues. If you want a car with no issues at that price get a Honda/Toyota. They are vanilla sleds but will never let you down.
Old 08-21-2008, 10:25 AM   #3

I current have a Boxster 98 986, have been running it for a month with absolutely no problems at all so far.

It is a bit of a leap of faith to get a mid engined sports car, but it doesn't get much more sensible then a Boxster in my opinion.

The worst case scenario is getting an engine failure, in which case you have to get a new engine. Porsche sometimes changes them free of charge, but cases have varied. It is quite rare though.

Make sure you take one to a Porsche mechanic to have it checked out, it is crucial otherwise you could end up with a nightmare.

Hope you decide to get one, they are real good fun!
Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:18 AM   #4

My comments are grounded in the fact that I bought a 97 with 84k miles on it four years ago. So, I am a man with current knowledge and speak from experience, not opinion or conjecture (not to say the others commenting were anything less than brilliant and insightful... I just wanted to preface my very short, pointed comments so you know where I'm coming from.)

1) Do you think that a 10-year old 2.5 boxster can be a pretty reliable car to enjoy, and not turn into a money pit??? I am thinking that all the major problems and niggles must have been already sorted, with the car being 10 years old. Am I right????

This is an awful assumption to make and it will bite you in the arse.

2) What is an aproximate cost for maintenance per year that I should expect of a 2.5 1998 Boxster??? Does it have to be serviced every year or every two years?

It may need to be serviced every quarter of every year you own it. The thing has 100k on it and the suspension's probably completely worn out. Put 2000 pounds in the bank per year to keep it running and happy. Some years you'll use it and some years you'll evade using it, but that's what it's gonna cost you most probably.

3) Do you think that such a buy is a sensible think to do?? I am thinking this is a lot of a car for that money!! I am not expecting the car to be trouble-free, but I would like a fun reliable car with most problems sorted that I can enjoy!

It's not sensible. You will not be purchasing a "fun, reliable car with most problems sorted out that you can enjoy." unless the seller can show you a very thick folder with receipts for replacement items such as struts, control arms, trailing arms, coolant tank, air/oil separator, MAF, oxygen sensors, radiator fans, and so on... all of which cost in the hundreds of pounds to replace.

A cheap, high mileage Porsche will be the most expensive and hassle-laden car you have ever owned. <-- I didn't coin this phrase, but I personify it... check out my web site for more details.

Find a 2004 S with very low miles on it and then start saving your money. Or better yet, save even more and buy one with some factory warranty left on it.

If I can talk you out of buying an old, high mileage boxster as a fun car to own, I can go to sleep tonight knowing I made a difference in this world. Our cars are amazing mid engine sports cars, but they do not age gracefully. The parts are terribly expensive and many of them wear out in a fraction of the time or miles used compared to Japanese, American, and even (GASP) English cars. Really.

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 08-21-2008 at 11:25 AM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
My comments are grounded in the fact that I bought a 97 with 84k miles on it four years ago. So, I am a man with current knowledge and speak from experience, not opinion or conjecture (not to say the others commenting were anything less than brilliant and insightful... I just wanted to preface my very short, pointed comments so you know where I'm coming from.)

This is an awful assumption to make and it will bite you in the arse.

It may need to be serviced every quarter of every year you own it. The thing has 100k on it and the suspension's probably completely worn out. Put 2000 pounds in the bank per year to keep it running and happy. Some years you'll use it and some years you'll evade using it, but that's what it's gonna cost you most probably.

It's not sensible. You will not be purchasing a "fun, reliable car with most problems sorted out that you can enjoy." unless the seller can show you a very thick folder with receipts for replacement items such as struts, control arms, trailing arms, coolant tank, air/oil separator, MAF, oxygen sensors, radiator fans, and so on... all of which cost in the hundreds of pounds to replace.

A cheap, high mileage Porsche will be the most expensive and hassle-laden car you have ever owned. <-- I didn't coin this phrase, but I personify it... check out my web site for more details.

Find a 2004 S with very low miles on it and then start saving your money. Or better yet, save even more and buy one with some factory warranty left on it.

If I can talk you out of buying an old, high mileage boxster as a fun car to own, I can go to sleep tonight knowing I made a difference in this world. Our cars are amazing mid engine sports cars, but they do not age gracefully. The parts are terribly expensive and many of them wear out in a fraction of the time or miles used compared to Japanese, American, and even (GASP) English cars. Really.
Just to add here - Randall's comments can be applied to just about any car of European and more specifically German design. Any older Porsche, Audi, Merc ect is going to be expensive to maintain, as compared to an American or Asian car.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2008, 12:50 PM   #6
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
My '99 has been very reliable, and it's almost 10 years old.
You just have to remember what you're buying. It will cost more to repair than say a honda, but I would image parts are cheaper in the UK than in the US.
Just make sure you have some money in the bank if it does need a repair (1.5K pounds?), or look into an extended warranty. (Do a search for the debate over warranties vs. a savings account).
Most but not all of the problems could have been sorted out after ten years, but I wouldn't assume anything without service records. For maintenance your looking at an oil change every 5-7.5K miles, or every year, then major services at 15k, 30k, 60k, etc.

Reading what it is your looking for the Boxster seems like a great car for you, but I would go drive one and make up your own mind. I would also note the petrol cost since it gets about 18-26mpg. But the more you drive it the less unexpected problems you'll have.