View Single Post
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM   #5
blue2000s
Porscheectomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
My comments are grounded in the fact that I bought a 97 with 84k miles on it four years ago. So, I am a man with current knowledge and speak from experience, not opinion or conjecture (not to say the others commenting were anything less than brilliant and insightful... I just wanted to preface my very short, pointed comments so you know where I'm coming from.)

1) Do you think that a 10-year old 2.5 boxster can be a pretty reliable car to enjoy, and not turn into a money pit??? I am thinking that all the major problems and niggles must have been already sorted, with the car being 10 years old. Am I right????

This is an awful assumption to make and it will bite you in the arse.

2) What is an aproximate cost for maintenance per year that I should expect of a 2.5 1998 Boxster??? Does it have to be serviced every year or every two years?

It may need to be serviced every quarter of every year you own it. The thing has 100k on it and the suspension's probably completely worn out. Put 2000 pounds in the bank per year to keep it running and happy. Some years you'll use it and some years you'll evade using it, but that's what it's gonna cost you most probably.

3) Do you think that such a buy is a sensible think to do?? I am thinking this is a lot of a car for that money!! I am not expecting the car to be trouble-free, but I would like a fun reliable car with most problems sorted that I can enjoy!

It's not sensible. You will not be purchasing a "fun, reliable car with most problems sorted out that you can enjoy." unless the seller can show you a very thick folder with receipts for replacement items such as struts, control arms, trailing arms, coolant tank, air/oil separator, MAF, oxygen sensors, radiator fans, and so on... all of which cost in the hundreds of pounds to replace.

A cheap, high mileage Porsche will be the most expensive and hassle-laden car you have ever owned. <-- I didn't coin this phrase, but I personify it... check out my web site for more details.

Find a 2004 S with very low miles on it and then start saving your money. Or better yet, save even more and buy one with some factory warranty left on it.

If I can talk you out of buying an old, high mileage boxster as a fun car to own, I can go to sleep tonight knowing I made a difference in this world. Our cars are amazing mid engine sports cars, but they do not age gracefully. The parts are terribly expensive and many of them wear out in a fraction of the time or miles used compared to Japanese, American, and even (GASP) English cars. Really.
Just to add here - Randall's comments can be applied to just about any car of European and more specifically German design. Any older Porsche, Audi, Merc ect is going to be expensive to maintain, as compared to an American or Asian car.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote