Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2008, 08:07 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Tomikaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 266
A/C musty smell

Anyone have a DIY fix for musty smelling a/c?

__________________
2004 Porsche Boxster S
Portland, Maine
Tomikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
A musty AC smell is from mold growing in your system, usually because the AC drain is clogged. Make sure your car drips water under it when stationary w/ the AC running, if not, unclog the drain tube.

To prevent it, turn off your AC a mile or two before your destination to allow the evaporator to warm up, preventing condensation.

If you already have mold, you can remove and clean all the ductwork and the evaporator (a lot of work), or you can buy one of the aftermarket spray chemicals which you spray into the ducts and this spray kills any fungus, mold or bacteria in the system, usually over several treatments.

Wurth makes one ( http://www.superiorcarcare.net/w893540.html ) and so does Wynn. They're about $20/can, but well worth it if the alternative is dismantling and cleaning the entire system.
__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 09:58 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Austin, TX
Posts: 939
Go to WalMart in the Auto section, find a bottle of this stuff called Ozium.

Turn on your AC and spray a couple puffs in the direction of where your passenger's feet would be if you had a passenger. Oh, hit the recirculate button first.

Repeat once in a while and the mold will die and the smell will go away.

It's also a good idea to run the system for a while every month, even in cold months.
__________________
2001 Boxster - Grey on Grey
1969 911T Targa - 'Stinky'

http://www.zoto.com/frayadjacent/img...f27a-4a399.jpg <---- my car. ^ crap I post.

"The existence of the flamethrower is evidence that someone, somewhere once said 'I want to set those people over there on fire, but I don't want to have to walk over there to do it.'"
FrayAdjacent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2008, 10:05 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrayAdjacent
Go to WalMart in the Auto section, find a bottle of this stuff called Ozium.

Turn on your AC and spray a couple puffs in the direction of where your passenger's feet would be if you had a passenger. Oh, hit the recirculate button first.

Repeat once in a while and the mold will die and the smell will go away.

It's also a good idea to run the system for a while every month, even in cold months.
I think Ozium is just a cover-up. Plus, if the cops get a whiff, they'll think you're doin wacky weed...
__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 08-18-2008 at 10:14 PM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:43 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Tomikaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 266
Where are these ducts that I would spray this stuff into?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
A musty AC smell is from mold growing in your system, usually because the AC drain is clogged. Make sure your car drips water under it when stationary w/ the AC running, if not, unclog the drain tube.

To prevent it, turn off your AC a mile or two before your destination to allow the evaporator to warm up, preventing condensation.

If you already have mold, you can remove and clean all the ductwork and the evaporator (a lot of work), or you can buy one of the aftermarket spray chemicals which you spray into the ducts and this spray kills any fungus, mold or bacteria in the system, usually over several treatments.

Wurth makes one ( http://www.superiorcarcare.net/w893540.html ) and so does Wynn. They're about $20/can, but well worth it if the alternative is dismantling and cleaning the entire system.
__________________
2004 Porsche Boxster S
Portland, Maine
Tomikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:20 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomikaze
Where are these ducts that I would spray this stuff into?
The vents, especially the center ones as these are closest to the evaporator.
__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 05:50 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Tomikaze's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Portland, Maine
Posts: 266
Where does the intake air for a/c come from?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
The vents, especially the center ones as these are closest to the evaporator.
__________________
2004 Porsche Boxster S
Portland, Maine
Tomikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Lil bastard's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Du Monde
Posts: 2,199
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomikaze
Where does the intake air for a/c come from?
There's a recirc/fresh air valve which draws air from the front firewall (under the side panels next to the battery).

__________________
1990 Porsche 964 Carrera 4 Cabriolet
1976 BMW 2002
1990 BMW 325is
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 08:41 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page