Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2008, 10:12 AM   #1

Radio problem after replacing alternator...

Hi all,

Looks like there is a problem with my alternator, so my father-in-law is coming over tonight to check everything out for me/repair. His only request is that I have the top in service mode (no problem) and I remove the service cover behind the seats. I've had a look around to see how to do the carpet removal and can't find anything...can anyone point me in the right direction?

Many thanks in advance, Gord.

2001 Boxster S
Arctic Silver/Blue interior & roof
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Carbon fiber interior accents and gear knob

Last edited by squeak; 08-24-2008 at 12:11 PM.
squeak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2008, 01:04 PM   #2

if you do a search here or in the DIY section on poly-rib or serp belt replacement you'll probably find some pictures but quite simply:

- put top in service position
- remove the rear storage box (if present)
- remove carpet over engine cover
- on top of the firewall (under the front edge of where the engine carpet cover was) you'll see 4 black plastic nuts holding the firewall carpet down. Unscrew them completely (might need to lightly pry them up w/ a screwdriver while loosening to get them to catch)
- pull the firewall carpet up and off the 4 screws revealed by removal of plastic nuts above
- use a 10mm nut driver or socket and remove the 7 bolts and 2 nuts holding the shiny aluminum panel to the firewall.
- take a screwdriver and gently pry the edges of the shiny alum panel free from the firewall - be careful as the edges of the panel will be sharp

Good luck and hope this helps
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2008, 07:33 AM   #3

HUGE thanks for the info Burg, (and the PM I received from another member also) spot on!

Managed to get the alternator out...after some gentle persuasion as there was a little rust...got it tested and it's fubar, so new one is on order.

Thanks again, greatly appreciated

Cheers, Gord.

2001 Boxster S
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Old 08-24-2008, 12:10 PM   #4

OK, got the new alterntor fitted and the car is back to running like a dream...with one small problem.

When I hooked everything back up, the radio was completely dead. After doing a search here and on renntech, I saw the info about changing the fuse on the rear of the radio. Popped out the radio and sure enough, the fuse there had blown (tested all the fuses behind the panel at your left foot also, all were good there.)

So I thought everything was now good-to-go...until I turned on the radio and got nothing. I noticed that the speakers were making a hissing noise, so when I pressed eject, the CD popped out. Strange I thought, so I got out my flashlight and looked at the display, sure enough I could see it asking me to enter my code. Entered the code and the radio works!

The only thing is, I have no display to look at, unless I shine a flashlight onto the panel, then I can see the read-out. I tried cleaning the contacts, making sure the front panel was correctly seated etc, but still no visible display unless I shine a flashlight on it.

Anyone got any ideas??? I'm going nuts here...lol.

Cheers, Gord.

2001 Boxster S
19' Porsche wheels
Litronics
Short shifter
Old 08-25-2008, 05:55 PM   #5

Any one??

2001 Boxster S