Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #1

Fuel questions

Hi there! I'm a week old Porsche boxster owner now, I bought a blue 1998 Boxster and I'm loving it so far! Fun to rev!

Anyway, my question is, is it ok if I use 87 octane fuel for my Boxster? I realize it would drop performance, but I can take that, I put in 91 octane a few days ago, and it's doing fine so far.

Also, when I turn the key and leave it where the engine isn't turning but the battery is on, I hear a noise from the passenger airbag section, is there something I should be worried about about it?

Thanks for your help everyone!

Lordblood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:01 PM   #2

We've done a gazillion threads about octane requirements. If you track it, you will lose a higher percentage in gas mileage with the lower grade fuels, than you save in cost difference. My DD (daily driver) is also a high test user (Mazda turbo) and I lose 10% gas mileage with a 2.5% cost savings when I use mid-grade. It's not that there is no savings, but just the opposite, it costs a penny more, per mile driven, to use the cheaper gas. (4.20 - 23 mpg, 4.10 - 20.5 mpg)
Don't spend more to risk damaging your VERY expensive engine.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:06 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
We've done a gazillion threads about octane requirements. If you track it, you will lose a higher percentage in gas mileage with the lower grade fuels, than you save in cost difference. My DD (daily driver) is also a high test user (Mazda turbo) and I lose 10% gas mileage with a 2.5% cost savings when I use mid-grade. It's not that there is no savings, but just the opposite, it costs a penny more, per mile driven, to use the cheaper gas. (4.20 - 23 mpg, 4.10 - 20.5 mpg)
Don't spend more to risk damaging your VERY expensive engine.
So I should use higher Octane gas all the time? Alright I'll keep that in mind thanks.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:07 PM   #4

Welcome Lordblood. What a pleasant moniker.

It will run on 87. It may throw a check engine light. But think about it. It's about $4 dollars more per tank. That's a pack of cigarettes, a small fast food meal, 3-ish songs on iTunes, a venti latte -basically, a small price to pay to ensure your engine is getting the best juice possible. If you can skip any of the things listed above (or some other $4 vice) per tank, do it.

But, if you still rather save a few bucks and take a chance with that check engine light, make every 4th tank premium.

As for your airbag noise, that's new to me. I wonder if it could be some relay or something. Could you describe the noise?
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 05:11 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
Welcome Lordblood. What a pleasant moniker.

It will run on 87. It may throw a check engine light. But think about it. It's about $4 dollars more per tank. That's a pack of cigarettes, a small fast food meal, 3-ish songs on iTunes, a venti latte -basically, a small price to pay to ensure your engine is getting the best juice possible. If you can skip any of the things listed above (or some other $4 vice) per tank, do it.

But, if you still rather save a few bucks and take a chance with that check engine light, make every 4th tank premium.

As for your airbag noise, that's new to me. I wonder if it could be some relay or something. Could you describe the noise?
Alright thanks, I could do sparing 4 bucks at the pump for better gas.
Um, right now I don't have a computer with a SD card port, I could have recorded the sound on my phone.

As far as describing it, it's sort of like a low pitched buzz. And once I turn the battery off it gradually decreases to a stop. I wonder if it might be the battery itself?
Old 08-04-2008, 05:13 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordblood
So I should use higher Octane gas all the time? Alright I'll keep that in mind thanks.
Run three tanks of each and track your gas mileage. Try your best to use the car the same with each, as difficult as that is. Others have also found that they lose more in gas mileage than they gain in cost of fuel. I quit smoking a little over a year ago, so I'm already saving 3.50 per day!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:14 PM   #7

By the way, welcome to the family, you're gonna love it here!!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:18 PM   #8

Quote:
By the way, welcome to the family, you're gonna love it here!!
Alright, thanks for the help and the greeting!
And if I could get a 987 Boxster, I'd get it in the exact colors as yours, I love black on beige leather it just looks so good.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:28 PM   #9

Quote:
Alright, thanks for the help and the greeting!
And if I could get a 987 Boxster, I'd get it in the exact colors as yours, I love black on beige leather it just looks so good.
I swore I wouldn't buy another black car, but even my non-car-nut wife let out a gasp when we saw this one on the showroom floor. My salesman is an old racing buddy and he said three months later, when I finally went in and made the deal, that he knew I was gonna buy the car that first day I saw it.
Being in warranty for another 89k miles and out to May of 2012 helped!
Old 08-04-2008, 05:31 PM   #10

Quote:
I swore I wouldn't buy another black car, but even my non-car-nut wife let out a gasp when we saw this one on the showroom floor. My salesman is an old racing buddy and he said three months later, when I finally went in and made the deal, that he knew I was gonna buy the car that first day I saw it.
Being in warranty for another 89k miles and out to May of 2012 helped!
Yea when my dad and I went into a Porsche showroom here in town looking for a used Boxster, we saw the same black on beige 987 and my dad, who doesn't understand the point of sports cars, was absolutely stunned. When clean and waxed, it is more gorgeous than a Ferrari F430, at least in my opinion.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:40 PM   #11

Quote:
When clean and waxed, it is more gorgeous than a Ferrari F430, at least in my opinion.

Are you sure?

It'll definitely be in the shop less often than an F430 though.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:48 PM   #12

Oh yes I'm quite sure, the F430 spider or scuderia is my dream car.

The only thing I don't like about it is that it doesn't look as good as it should.
Old 08-04-2008, 05:57 PM   #13

I'd prefer 1962 250 Spider

Old 08-04-2008, 06:02 PM   #14

Based on what I have read from the so-called experts, the drop in price will be offset in some sense from a drop in mileage.

All things being equal, I run premium in my car.

Good luck and welcome to our forum.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 PM   #15

Robz you sound like Jeremy Clarkson with a comment like that!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #16

Quote:
Robz you sound like Jeremy Clarkson with a comment like that!

I'm from Texas and I actually sound more like Jeff Foxworthy so I should have said
"I prefer a 1980 Camaro"

Old 08-05-2008, 03:23 PM   #17

So, I'm from North Florida and look and sound like Larry the Cable Guy, so does that mean I have to prefer "A big girl with warts all over her face in a pick up?"

That's funny right ther, I don't care who you are......

Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote