Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-29-2008, 02:34 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 133
GT Motor Sport Hardtop, who has one?



I'm interested in buying one considering how difficult it is to find a hardtop in South Texas. They are reasonably priced and are only $150-200 to ship from CA. I believe they only come black gel coated so painting would add to the $1k price tag. They also mentioned that the "Porsche hardware" is not included. I'm guessing this is easy to find and hopefully inexpensive?

Anyone have experience with them?

http://www.gtmotorsport.net/index.php?menu=Boxster+Series&page=Hardtop

__________________
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/3864/artbox2lf7.jpg
18x10/18x8.5 wheels on Dunlops, Eibach springs, De-snorkled, Debadged, Painted Bumperettes, Arctic Silver Interior trim & Deambering (in process)
RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 04:51 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,460
$1049 w/glass
$1000 painting
-------------------
$2049

And for a couple hundred more you could get a brand new PORSCHE factory top, with PORSCHE arctic silver, and it's NOT fiberglass -rather aluminum. With the time it takes to paint, and the fact that it's fiberglass... I couldn't bring myself to get that top. Splurge and get the real deal.

Shipping for either version would be the same. Finding a used one on eBay is usually in the ballpark of $1000 and would be a better way to go, right?

Mounting hardware will be $35-50 at the dealer.
__________________
.
1997 Honda Accord | V6
2004 BMW 330i | ZHP | SOLD
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:11 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2006
Location: Vancouver, BC
Posts: 220
I have a factory hard top in Artic Silver that I barely use that I might consider selling. It is in excellent condition as I hardly use it since I have a second car to use when the weather turns nasty. Freight/shipping would be expensive though but at least you're getting a qood quality factory Porsche item. I wouldn't even consider buying a fiberglass knock off. Some misc items are Ok, but for something like this you're better off buying factory for the fit, finish, qaulity and durability.
__________________
97 Arctic Silver/Boxster Red

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:40 PM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Calgary Canada
Posts: 72
PM sent to "angman".
MikeM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:53 PM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeph
$1049 w/glass
$1000 painting
-------------------
$2049

And for a couple hundred more you could get a brand new PORSCHE factory top, with PORSCHE arctic silver, and it's NOT fiberglass -rather aluminum. With the time it takes to paint, and the fact that it's fiberglass... I couldn't bring myself to get that top. Splurge and get the real deal.

Shipping for either version would be the same. Finding a used one on eBay is usually in the ballpark of $1000 and would be a better way to go, right?

Mounting hardware will be $35-50 at the dealer.

I was under the impression that you can't get factory hardtops any longer. Where should I look? Porsche dealer?
__________________
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/3864/artbox2lf7.jpg
18x10/18x8.5 wheels on Dunlops, Eibach springs, De-snorkled, Debadged, Painted Bumperettes, Arctic Silver Interior trim & Deambering (in process)
RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:13 PM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: Atlanta
Posts: 1,820
$1,000 for paint is a bit high, no?
__________________
insite
'99 Boxster
3.4L Conversion

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 09:52 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobZ
I was under the impression that you can't get factory hardtops any longer. Where should I look? Porsche dealer?
I got mine in 2005 from Brandywine Porsche in PA (and had it shipped to Dallas). The total was $1995 + $200 freight.

Brandywine Porsche: 610-886-1000
Try also Suncoast Porsche: 877-923-1700
__________________
.
1997 Honda Accord | V6
2004 BMW 330i | ZHP | SOLD
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 523
I too have read that Porsche is no longer making hardtops for the older models (pre-05). Prices on them have been going up it seems. There is no way that it would cost $1000 to paint one. I'd guess you could get it done for more like $500.

I am seriously considering buying one of these. They are lighter which makes the car a bit lighter and makes it easier to put on and remove. I have heard that a lot of Boxster Spec racers use them. I've also heard that the finish on the gel coat hasn't been great in the past. Dunno if that's improved or not. Even if you had to have it sanded down and corrected, a good body shop should be able to do that fairly cheaply along with a nice coat of paint.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:56 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Thumper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: McKinney, TX
Posts: 473
I was lucky that mine came with a hard top when I bought it. But why would you pay $2K for this fiberglass copy when the aluminum factory hard tops go on eBay for $700 to $1,200 all the time.....and you can probably find one already painted the color of your car.

Unless you just have to have a new one........
Thumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 08:31 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumper
I was lucky that mine came with a hard top when I bought it. But why would you pay $2K for this fiberglass copy when the aluminum factory hard tops go on eBay for $700 to $1,200 all the time.....and you can probably find one already painted the color of your car.

Unless you just have to have a new one........

No one wants to ship it and I'm far from any major city. Otherwise, I'd definitely go with a used factory top.

My thought on the fiberglass top was:
1050 for top
200 for delivery
and 500 for paint
= $1750

If it was comparable (quality wise) to a factory top I'd go for it but considering the factory top is aluminum, I'll likely wait for someone who will ship.
__________________
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/3864/artbox2lf7.jpg
18x10/18x8.5 wheels on Dunlops, Eibach springs, De-snorkled, Debadged, Painted Bumperettes, Arctic Silver Interior trim & Deambering (in process)
RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:15 AM   #11
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Dallas, TX
Posts: 1,460
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_Yi
They are lighter which makes the car a bit lighter and makes it easier to put on and remove. I have heard that a lot of Boxster Spec racers use them.
Weight difference is probably negligible. If weight difference really did matter, I'd imagine one would race without the top at all. Even so, the factory one is not heavy and BOTH version still ideally require 2 people to put on/take off. This isn't because of the weight, but because of its awkward size.
__________________
.
1997 Honda Accord | V6
2004 BMW 330i | ZHP | SOLD
2000 Porsche Boxster | SOLD | http://www.986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9114

http://www.kryzak.com/storage/986sig12.jpg

http://kryzak.tumblr.com
Jeph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 10:52 AM   #12
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: California
Posts: 36
from my understanding the fiberglass tops are about 30lbs and the factory one is 54lbs. i lucked out and found a factory hardtop on a parts car and picked it up for $1k... painted it for $200 (not the highest quality, but a decent 5 footer). dont forget spinlocks, i think they run around $50 from suncoast. it depends what you want, do you want the look of the hardtop and lightweight... or are you looking for some sound/weather insulation? check craigslist and ebay often, and when you see someone selling a boxster with a hardtop offer to buy just the hardtop.
986barnum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 11:41 AM   #13
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: Houston, Texas
Posts: 7,241
This company doesn't make the best product in the world.

I bought side skirts and humps from them last year and was very disappointed in the quality.

Their "gel coating", if not done perfectly, makes smoothing out rough spots far harder than just having the fiberglass without the gel coating.

Ask them about their guarantee on taking back the top if the gel coating isn't smooth and ready to paint... and don't take any of their crap about everything requiring paint prep because that's their standard excuse.
__________________
'97 Boxster (Black Hole for 42,000 Dead Presidents and counting) - 122k
New motor, transmission, suspension, and on and on and on it goes...
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 03:43 PM   #14
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 133
The top I want (Arctic Silver): EBAY LINK just sold for $800 but same 'ol story, no shipping. Great price too. If I have to go $2500 I'd rather pay a couple thousand more and order a Zeintec top.
__________________
http://img360.imageshack.us/img360/3864/artbox2lf7.jpg
18x10/18x8.5 wheels on Dunlops, Eibach springs, De-snorkled, Debadged, Painted Bumperettes, Arctic Silver Interior trim & Deambering (in process)
RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:18 PM   #15
Registered User
 
9eighty6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: South FL
Posts: 253
Hey Rob -

I know what this dilemma is like. Do you have a dealership near you? I talked to the service manager there and he found one for me within a week. It was in perfect used condition and from another customer of his. He didn't even step in to take commission, etc ... just said "send a check for $1200 to the owner, and I'll store it here until you're ready to have it put on". You just never know, might be worth a phone call. Also, like others have said, if you see an arctic silver boxster for sale with a hard top, just make a solid offer on the top.

P.S. The service manager had initally quoted me at a laughable $4k for a brand new, factory hard top. So there are a few floating around, but you'd be just as well off with a zientop.
__________________
1984 - 944 - The first one.
1984 - 928S - The loudest one.
2001 - Boxster - The best one.
9eighty6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:21 PM   #16
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: near Chicago
Posts: 523
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eighty6
I know what this dilemma is like. Do you have a dealership near you? I talked to the service manager there and he found one for me within a week.
Great idea! I'm gonna try this.
Mike_Yi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2008, 10:27 PM   #17
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by 9eighty6
Hey Rob -

I know what this dilemma is like. Do you have a dealership near you? I talked to the service manager there and he found one for me within a week. It was in perfect used condition and from another customer of his. He didn't even step in to take commission, etc ... just said "send a check for $1200 to the owner, and I'll store it here until you're ready to have it put on". You just never know, might be worth a phone call. Also, like others have said, if you see an arctic silver boxster for sale with a hard top, just make a solid offer on the top.

P.S. The service manager had initally quoted me at a laughable $4k for a brand new, factory hard top. So there are a few floating around, but you'd be just as well off with a zientop.


Great advice. I'm going to give them a call.

RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 06:58 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page