Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2008, 09:46 PM   #1

?? Lifetime fuel filter? How can this be?

Hi,
I was doing some general maintenance on my 2002 S this weekend..... I called the dealer to get a new fuel filter and they said that my fuel filter is in the fuel pump and can not be changed, moreover, It will last a lifetime.

How can this be?? A filter that never clogs?

Also, They told me not to change my antifreeze either. I questioned him and he said that the antifreeze should never need to be replaced.

Again....how can this be?

Just a FYI, my wife picked up and paid for the parts for this weekends work.
After I installed the spark plugs, She informed me of the cost, 15$ EACH!!!!!!

265$ for air, cabin filter, poly rib belt, 6 plugs. Of course she paid without a second thought.
Crazy stuff!!

James

Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:56 AM   #2

The fuel system on your car uses an on-demand fuel supply rather than the more common recirculating type where the fuel flows in a constant circuit through the fuel rail, pressurized and ready to supply the injectors, then back to the fuel tank.

It is thought that not constantly recirculating this fuel eliminates the need to change the filter in the expected lifetime of the pump (not the car), and there do not seem to be many problems with this system. If you plan on keeping the car indefinitely, it's probably smart at some point to buy and shelve a spare fuel pump/filter as insurance against inavailability in the future, but I'm talking a couple hundred thousand miles.

Not so with the coolant. It's more like 5yr./150k mi. Not so much that the cooling abilities fail, but the anti-corrosive and lubricating properties lose effectiveness after this. Do a search for the correct type of coolant to use, there's been lots of discussion about it.

Porsche's claims of 'lifetime' are more a marketing tool than reality. It is thought that at some point, future maintenance such as a thermostat or water pump change will necessitate changing the fluid and these will almost certainly occur during a 5 yr./150k mi. period.

Same thing goes for their 'lifetime' tiptronic fluid. The maker of the tranny (ZF Getrieb AG) recommends a fluid/filter change at 45k mi. in direct opposition to Porsche's claims. This same tranny is used by Jaguar, BMW and Audi who also used to claim a 'lifetime' fluid, but at least BMW and Jaguar have since revised their maintenance schedules calling for a change at 45k mi.

FYI, for future reference, spark plugs can be had for $6 each , polyrib belts for $25, and cabin filters for $15 through NAPA or a number of other aftermarket suppliers (including several of this boards sponsors), in other words about $175-$190 less than you paid the dealership.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!

Last edited by Lil bastard; 07-27-2008 at 05:40 AM.
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:32 AM   #3

Lifetime antifreez and fuel filter, because the lifetime of a 2002 engine is about 35,000 miles....
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 09:51 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
FYI, for future reference, spark plugs can be had for $6 each , polyrib belts for $25, and cabin filters for $15 through NAPA or a number of other aftermarket suppliers (including several of this boards sponsors), in other words about $175-$190 less than you paid the dealership.
I don't know... I'd maybe use a cheap belt or cabin filter, but I wouldn't use a cheap, single prong spark plug. You're not going to get the Porsche recommended Beru, four prong plug for $6. I got mine for $13 each through Pelican Parts. Personally I wouldn't cut corners here.
1975 911S Targa - undergoing a full restoration and engine rebuild
Also In The Garage - '66 912, '69 912, '72 914 Chalon wide body, '73 914
Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 02:57 PM   #5

The Germans seem to love this whole "lifetime" thing. Alas, as has been mentioned, lifetime does not seem to mean what it implies.

Hence, many of us still replace anything that we can, including ATF, coolant and th the like.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 03:05 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhandy
Hi,
I was doing some general maintenance on my 2002 S this weekend..... I called the dealer to get a new fuel filter and they said that my fuel filter is in the fuel pump and can not be changed, moreover, It will last a lifetime.

How can this be?? A filter that never clogs?

Also, They told me not to change my antifreeze either. I questioned him and he said that the antifreeze should never need to be replaced.

Again....how can this be?

Just a FYI, my wife picked up and paid for the parts for this weekends work.
After I installed the spark plugs, She informed me of the cost, 15$ EACH!!!!!!

265$ for air, cabin filter, poly rib belt, 6 plugs. Of course she paid without a second thought.
Crazy stuff!!

James
Hey J. how's Bastrop treating you?
I worked for B&R building the LaGrange power plants and did a shut-down on Bastrop's two natural gas burners in '80. We used to run up to Elgin for their sausage, often as we could. Lived in Brenham 6 years after that, until the great crash of the mid-80s. Loved every minute of it.
Old 07-27-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
You can buy the same parts your dealer uses for much less here:

https://www.************************************************************/

I've had great success with these guys.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 06:45 AM   #8

Thanks for everyone’s help. I guess I will change the antifreeze this weekend and leave the fuel filter alone.

Quickurt: I have been in Bastrop 6 yrs now. Moved here after residency. The town is exploding with new growth and it still maintains the small town feel and it is 19 miles from Austin. After living here I can’t understand why anyone would live in cities like NYC or Houston.
I went to med school in NYC and lived in Houston for 20 yrs.

James
Pedro rear stabilizer bar, CF strut braces, Maxspeed headers with 100 cell cats, Fabspeed cat bypass pipes, H&R springs with M030 setup, TRG rear links, EVO air intake, B&M Short shift kit, Raby IMS upgrade, Raby underdrive pulley
jhandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 07:03 AM   #9
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Porsche's recommended intervals

Starting from 2002, fuel filters need not be replaced according to Porsche. Up to 2001, they say you still have to replace them every 48K miles.

http://www.porsche.com/filestore.aspx/default.pdf?pool=usa&type=download&id=maintenanceintervalsforporschevehicles&lang=none&filetype=default

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote