Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2008, 06:10 AM   #1

Anti-freeze brand?

What brand/spec meets the spec for topping off or adding coolant to a Boxster? Seen some references on what not to and what to use but can't find them again. Would like to note this in my manual in case I have the Boxster out of town and it does a coolant puke.

Thanks

ISUnorth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 06:54 AM   #2

My Porsche shop uses Pentosin, which is Porsche approved and less than the stuff the dealer sells.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I would use the same coolant that is in the car unless your flushing the entire system. Mixing brands can cause problems. If it has Porsche coolant top it off with Porsche coolant.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I would use the same coolant that is in the car unless your flushing the entire system. Mixing brands can cause problems. If it has Porsche coolant top it off with Porsche coolant.
All good if I knew what was in it. Am assuming Porsche coolant but bought it used here in Minnesota from an independant dealer and it is a Texas car. I called Boardwalk Porsche in Texas since they sold the car to the dealer here but they didn't return my call. All I would like is the basic maintenance background on the auto. It's an '02 with 25k miles.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:07 PM   #5

While it is rumored that Porsche coolant is merely Dex-Cool with a different dye additive, and Dex-Cool meets all the Porsche specs, as has been already said- unless you are doing a full flush, I would not mix coolants. If what you have is pink, top off with pink Porsche stuff.

Now, if what you have is green, that shouldn't be in there and I would get it out with a complete flush. Now, feel free to fill up with a proper mixture of Dex-Cool and distilled water.

There is also some evidence that the G-05 coolant is better stuff, but this has not been proven to be Porsche friendly, and does not mix with others so I would avoid its use.

Depending upon the last time the coolant was flushed, its probably not a bad idea to just flush it all out and then you'll know what its filled with and that its fresh coolant.

Just my $.02

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:42 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwm750
Now, if what you have is green, that shouldn't be in there and I would get it out with a complete flush. Now, feel free to fill up with a proper mixture of Dex-Cool and distilled water.

Patrick
Ah, crap. The stuff in there is green green green. Since I have only had the auto 4 months I have no idea what the previous owner or dealer might have dumped in there. Think I will visit the indie garage that services Porsches next week.
Old 07-26-2008, 05:44 PM   #7
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
I bought my 2001 new and it came with and still has green stuff.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 05:57 PM   #8

986's and 996's originally came with a green antifreeze as factory fill. They then switched to a pink antifreeze as factory fill. They are compatible. If you by Porsche antifreeze from a dealer now it will be pink.
Techbones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 06:19 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul
I bought my 2001 new and it came with and still has green stuff.
Interesting. I've never seen green coolant in any "newer" (as in flat 6 and not straight 4 or V8) Porsche liquid cooled motor. Guess ya learn something new everyday!

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 08:03 PM   #10
Porscheectomy

You CAN NOT go by the color. Porsche sold the same antifreeze in both green and pink.

If there's a question, I would just flush the system and used one of the coolants suggested by Mike Focke's web page

http://mike.focke.googlepages.com/antifreezeforyourboxster

I use Pentosin Lifetime myself, but they're all the same if they're on that list.
blue2000s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 06:04 AM   #11

Anyone know a good link on how to do the flush? My car is an '02 S with 13k miles and still has the original coolant.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2008, 08:39 AM   #12

You might suck some out of the plastic tank to see what color it really is.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 03:55 PM   #13

I have a question since we are talking about coolant. I noticed my boxster's coolant level is about 3/4" below the min level. No coolant light, but it's obviously low by looking at it. I just bought some distilled water and I'm probably just going to add a cup or two. I don't drive the car in really cold climes and sits in a heated garage....anybody see a problem with that? I don't think so. I'll probably flush the entire system soon anyway since it's almost 5 yrs old.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:27 AM   #14

If I'm not wrong, I think there is 22 Liter of coolant in a boxster, so adding a cup or two of distilled water won't really change the mix ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
I have a question since we are talking about coolant. I noticed my boxster's coolant level is about 3/4" below the min level. No coolant light, but it's obviously low by looking at it. I just bought some distilled water and I'm probably just going to add a cup or two. I don't drive the car in really cold climes and sits in a heated garage....anybody see a problem with that? I don't think so. I'll probably flush the entire system soon anyway since it's almost 5 yrs old.

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote