Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-06-2009, 03:48 AM   #41

Im not saying the shelby gt500 isnt fast but its not as fast as other 500 hp cars, mostly because it weighs nearly 4000 lbs.

• Cross Drilled-Slotted Rotors, Pagid pads
  • 19" Wheels, Bridgestone Pole Position ll Tires
  • Maxspeed Motorsport's Headers and Muffler
  • EVO Intake
  • Short Shift Kit
  • Vosstek Alluminum Pedals
  • Stainless Steel Gauge Rings
  • LLoyd Mats
  • Stainless Door Sills
  • Schnell Front and Rear Strut Bars
  • 2003 Tail Lights ,Sidemarkers and Headlights
  • Silver Hood Badge
  • Silver Horn Badge
  • 986 Trunk Emblem
rule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 04:29 AM   #42

A while back I was having dinner with a friend and his wife and I was talking about spending major coin on engine upgrades. She said "so you would spend $16,000 to go from zero to sixty one second faster?". When you think about it in those terms, it doesn't really make very much sense...especially when all the best roads are taken in 2nd, maybe 3rd gear.
dmcutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 06:39 AM   #43
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcutter
A while back I was having dinner with a friend and his wife and I was talking about spending major coin on engine upgrades. She said "so you would spend $16,000 to go from zero to sixty one second faster?". When you think about it in those terms, it doesn't really make very much sense...especially when all the best roads are taken in 2nd, maybe 3rd gear.
Excellent point. If you calculate how much it will take to retire, slotting fun money becomes an important study. Especially if your retirement fund fell 40 - 50% recently.

On the flip side, maybe I should have spent it instead.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 01:12 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Excellent point. If you calculate how much it will take to retire, slotting fun money becomes an important study. Especially if your retirement fund fell 40 - 50% recently.

On the flip side, maybe I should have spent it instead.
Well what about shoes? And LV hand bags? And LV purses?

I'm more than willing to spend $ on a faster car if there's no speed limit. Hitting 135mph was fun (could've went faster) but illegal.

It's like paying for a precision rifle that's capable of shooting 1.5 miles but you practice at a range that's only 200 yards.

Last edited by ekam; 02-06-2009 at 01:15 PM.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2009, 03:58 PM   #45

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmcutter
women think buying car parts is stupid. but they think that spending money on those LV hand bags makes perfect sense. Getting your nails done, hair done, massages, that stuff is IMPORTANT!

i'll bet this woman thinks blow jobs are yucky too....

Last edited by 23109VC; 02-06-2009 at 04:00 PM.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2009, 05:35 AM   #46
FTD

In the world of spending money on non=appreciating purchases, aside from the obligatory costs of living, each person has their own areas of frugality and areas of willing to spend. For me, it leans more towards nice furniture and art [within my capability]. Buying the Boxster was way out of character for me, but I have no regrets. If I had put all that money into mutual funds it would be worth less than the car is worth now. Whodathought. I don't spend big bucks on clothes, shoes, purses, etc. and I personally know very few women that do. However, to each his own. That's not the point. The point was perspective, and what your perspective is. Is it worth the $$? If yes, its YOUR money so go for it.

What's with the BJ remark? Having a crabby day?

FTD is offline   Reply With Quote