Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2008, 11:35 AM   #1
cartagena

Exclamation Putting a Tube in the Tire?

My tire has a 3 inch rip/split in the side about 1/4 inch from the rim. There is a big bubble there now but it is not leeking air, yet.

It would seem I have to import tires which could take some time?!

So the tire guy is suggesting putting some sort of patch on the tire and a tube.

I know this is a bad idea.....but just how bad is it?

Old 07-24-2008, 11:54 AM   #2

Really Bad Idea IMHO

The sidewall, once punctured, is not repairable. You say you have a 3 inch gash. That is much different than a simple nail or screw hole.

The sidewall provides stability to the tire when you turn. (Watch some other car go around a turn and imagine the force being applied to the sidewall as the tire deforms in response to the cornering forces.)

No patch will hold, and the cords in the tire could pinch or puncture the tube.

I'd never do what you are suggesting, lest it all let go suddenly as you are driving and you lose stability, damage the rim, and who knows where the car and occupants are going to end up.

I think you are better/safer waiting for the tire, as unpleasant as that sounds.

Good luck.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 12:04 PM   #3

I run a spoke tire with a tube on my motorcycle. I know that tube tires are smoother on the inside than tubeless tires. The tubeless tire may have ribs or other rough surfaces on the inside which will cause friction with an inner tube inserted. This will heat up and could cause the tube to burst from heat.

I'd be careful about this and think of it as a temporary fix at best and one in which you would have to keep speeds low in case of blow outs.

I do seem to remember that you can purchase heavier tubes. I forget what they are used for. Drag racing? Off road racing? They are made out of thicker rubber and they would hold up better than typical tubes if subjected to excessive friction.
Old 07-24-2008, 07:43 PM   #4
cartagena

I was just told 6 weeks for new tires.
Old 07-25-2008, 08:24 AM   #5

No way you can find a used tire of the same size?

That would be so much better than using a tire with the rip you describe as the patch wouldn't hold and the tube would be in danger of being pinched or punctured.

Until you can get the new tires.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 08:28 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cartagena
I was just told 6 weeks for new tires.
That sucks. Maybe you should consider ordering two sets?

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:08 AM   #7

Is importation of a tire(s) really that difficult in S. America? I'd check with any of the performance/track people in your area. Racing is big and they must have access to tires.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 09:24 AM   #8

I know this does not amount to a hill of beans in South America but a vendor who places a tube in a tubeless tire in the USA is in violation of OSHA regulation 29CFR1910.177.

If the thing blows and you or your property are damaged he may as well hand over his house keys, car keys, business keys and everything else he owns.
Old 07-25-2008, 09:39 AM   #9
FTD

Why does it take so long? Couldn't I ship you some tires and they would arrive in less than six weeks?
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 01:02 PM   #10
cartagena

Yes but they would have to be shipped FedEx or DHL which I would think charge several hundred dollars.

I once shipped a small package US postal and it took something like 6 months.

The delay is usally because the people in Customs are slow. Also they search everything going in and out do avoid someone shipping something illegal.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FTD
Why does it take so long? Couldn't I ship you some tires and they would arrive in less than six weeks?
Old 07-25-2008, 01:07 PM   #11
cartagena

I THINK I FOUND TIRES!

They are from a company called Yokohama. Has anyone ever used these type of tires?? I have never heard of them.

I wonder if it will be ok to keep the Michellin on the front and put this brand on the back?

I guess I will have to change both of the back tires though? I only have 9,000 kilomters on the car. Kind of sucks needing to buy new ones at $380 each.
Old 07-25-2008, 10:59 PM   #12
cartagena

Bump.......
Old 07-26-2008, 07:07 AM   #13
Ike

Switcheroo

Hey Gene,

I'm running Michelin Power Sport 2s. I really like them more than stock (Dunlops in my case)

Here is an option: Buy 4. Use 2. If the cornering balance sucks, use all 4 new. Save the extras old or new for the next time you encounter a problem. It is a silly coincidence, having spares can improve your luck.

If you have the only 2 spares in S. America, you could be a hero to someone!

Good Luck,
Ike

PS: The front and rears are most likely different sizes.
Ike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 01:49 PM   #14

I haven't had Yokohamas on either of my Boxsters but my MR2 Spyder came from the factory with Yokohama Advans. The tires were way more high performance than MR 2. They should be fine on your Box. But don't take my word for it, go out to tirerack.com and read up on them. Be sure to find the exact tire.

But if you go the Yoko route, buy 4. You don't want to mix the characteristics of 2 different brands on your car. I seem to recall seeing pics of your mountanous roads. You don't want to end up going over a guard rail because you lost control.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 04:02 PM   #15
cartagena

We do not have too many guard rails here. There are places where someone could drive off the side of the road and go straight down for about half a kilometer before hitting the ground. It would give me a good 60 seconds to say to myself "man, I should have bought four tires instead of two!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
I seem to recall seeing pics of your mountanous roads. You don't want to end up going over a guard rail because you lost control.

Last edited by cartagena; 07-26-2008 at 04:16 PM.
Old 07-26-2008, 08:24 PM   #16

Don't do it... get what you need... If that means replacing the tire...do that.

There's no easy fix.

A sidewall puncture is a tire puncture for all practical purposes - replace the tire !!

Love the scenery though...
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2008, 09:02 PM   #17
cartagena

New tires will be installed on Monday. For only 3 times what they cost on tirerack.com

By the way, the photo was taken standing on a lot I just bought to build my weekend home. It is almost on the top of a mountain so it looks like it is time to buy a Cayenne.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lil bastard
Don't do it... get what you need... If that means replacing the tire...do that.

There's no easy fix.

A sidewall puncture is a tire puncture for all practical purposes - replace the tire !!

Love the scenery though...
Old 07-28-2008, 10:18 AM   #18
cartagena

I am back in business!

Other than putting the front on the back and the back on the front, they did an ok job. $750 for the back pair.
Old 07-29-2008, 06:54 AM   #19
FTD

Let us know how you like the Yokohamas, and which ones you have.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #20

I would put the spear tire on a lot before putting a tube in a tire, specially on high-end car with ZR tires. You can put a tube in a tire like that for a SnowBlower or a Motocross, but not on a car that goes 260 km/h

vipola is offline   Reply With Quote