Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-19-2008, 05:08 AM   #1

Question Becker amplifier

Hi;

I did buy my base 03 Box and the previous owner put an Alpine CDA-9885 radio in it. By what I saw, he re-do the wiring to speakers by-passing the Becker amplifier that is in the front trunk and un-plug it. Is there any way I can use this amplifier with my Alpine radio or not?

Thanks you guys.

Thierry

tolum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 06:49 AM   #2

I don't have hands on experience with audio in an 03, but I believe the stock audio systems in those cars transfer data using an optical system. So, the amplifier would work with optical inputs only. Unless your Alpine unit is also optically based, it would probably be incompatible with the stock amp.

I don't know whether there are adapters available to make the units compatible. My guess is that it would be less expensive to buy a new amp that is compatible with your Alpine.
Painted Bumperettes, 2004 (OEM) Top, Homelink integrated in dash with Targa switch, 997 Shifter, Carrera Gauge Cluster with silver gauge faces, heated 12-way driver & 8-way passenger seats, Litronics, silver console
KevinH1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2008, 11:43 AM   #3

It depends

If you have the optical Audio system - no. If you have a standard looking amp with a big fat black connector you might be able to reuse it if you can figure out the wiring inputs.

Only Crutchfield sells a connector for the stock amp however it's been out of stock for over a year so don't hold your breath waiting.

The stock amp does not have RCA inputs so that will be your biggest challenge.

My recommendation is to buy a new amp on ebay.

For under $100 you can get a 4 channel amp that can run the dash speakers and a set of subs. Here's what I've got in my Boxster and it's plenty of power:

http://cgi.ebay.com/PYRAMID-ARCTIC-2000w-4-CHANNEL-CAR-AUDIO-AMPLIFIER-AMPS_W0QQitemZ170239226078QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item 170239226078&_trksid=p3286.m14.l1318

Good luck,
-Steve

JL Audio 6.5 inch subs (in the door)
Pyramid 4 channel amp
chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote