Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2008, 05:23 AM   #21

On balance, if it were me and this issue bothered me, I would go CPO after making sure I was happy with the dealer and his service dept.

There is a lot of wiggle in warranty adjudication. A good service dept will take care of you, a bad one will not.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2008, 06:44 AM   #22

Send a message via AIM to PSL-Boxster
Bought the car last year.. 1 year full warranty ( just had the raido/ ac replaced so it paid off) .. i believe i still have a powertrain warranty on the car.. i just dont know for how long, i must go look in the books.
PSL-Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 08:43 AM   #23

there are so many horror stories here of horrific repairs on higher mileage cars..

motors failing $12-15k
some guy just said his tach went out and it was $2000. . OMFG... a tach on a mazda miata would probably be $300 installed...

i am still shopping and the japanese sports cars are looking more appealing to me every day... I love the boxster but i'm worried about buying one, then getting raped on repairs.

i can afford teh car, i can afford tires, and normal wear and tear - I CANNOT afford a $15,000 motor repair or $2000 here and $2000 there if it wre to happen on an annual basis.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:10 AM   #24
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
^ That's a decision we all have to make.
Old 10-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #25

I purchased an extended warranty through a dealer when i was in Orlando, FL - WarrenTech warranty. They are great and have replaced everything very quickly without any headaches (even a new engine). I asked their service manager before I purchased, and he said WarrenTech was the one warranty company they have never had a problem with, no issues with replacment parts/costs.

I paid $3000 to get coverage for my 2002 boxster for another 6 years and up to 100k miles. So far, it has been well worth it and had nearly paid for itself BEFORE I had to get an engine replacement two weeks ago at 46k miles. Repairs and labor on this car are too expensive, especially depending on your stealership in town. It has saved me over 12 thousand dollars so far, and i am covered for another 50k miles/3 more years. I love my boxster, but i am not sure i will own it without a warranty after this. Never had any major problems until one day at 46k miles and 30 mph a tensioner failed and my engine was gone.
travisau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2008, 02:15 PM   #26

I just bought an 02 Boxster S with 48k miles, paid $3,800 for an extended warranty that covers me until 100k miles from Continental Warranty, 6 months later and one RMS failure and cv boot replacement I have already recouped well over 50% of my initial cost and I still have 4 years and 45k miles left to go.
Old 10-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #27

MikeFocke nailed it.

The money for the repairs comes from somewhere. On average the cost of buying an extended warranty is a lot more than the cost of just paying to fix your car. If this were not true, the warranty companies wouldn't be able to pay their rent, their sales people, or the admin people who have to pay out when it's time to pay.

The only exception I can think of would be if some warranty company made a systematic error and was writing warranty policies on Boxsters that cost the same as a warranty policy on a less expensive car like a Tercel for example. In this case, the folks buying warranties would be getting subsidized by the folks who bought all of the Tercel warranties.

So, for those who believe that on average it's more cost effective to buy a warranty... (that on average, a driver would pay for example $2k and get more than $2k covered) where does the extra money come from? Do you think the Boxsters are being subsidized by the more reliable cars?

I'm not trying to be argumentative, but just trying to figure out how it would be possible to buy something that on average pays out more than it costs.

roadracer311 is offline   Reply With Quote