Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM   #1

Gas pedal sticking?? Reving high

I have a 02 box 50k. Lately ive been experiencing some problems with it. When I let go off the gas it seems like it still engaged for about one good second. The throttle is not reponsive anymore its kind of doing its on own thing. Today i came to a stop and it was revving high after disengaging the throttle. I dont understand whats going on. Anyone know?

Thanks

yellowboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:43 AM   #2

I think I know what's wrong. I had the same symptoms when I owned a 1985 928S. I'm no mechanic, but I think the part is called the throttle body. Overtime, it sticks due to build up of residue, etc. There are sprays you can purchase at any auto store to lubricate and clean the throttle body and then you should be fine. Now, I have no idea where it is located on the Boxster.
Good luck!
Eric
E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:41 AM   #3

I don't know what in particular is wrong with your car, and im def. not a mechanic, but you can try to narrow down the problem areas.
1. If your peddle recoils promptly when you take your foot off, its not your peddle
2. check the sending unit thats connected to your peddle to see if its dusty or something ( you have e-gas so the throttle is electronic)
3. if thats fine, i would probably then open the engine bay, and check out the throttle. I don't know exactly how it works, but i would imagine there is some kind of servo attached to the butter fly valve (someone correct me if im wayyyy off, i know nothing about the e-gas throttle). Have someone rev and observe the operation of it. If anything sticks or not. You may even be able to move the valve by hand when the car is off.

Once again, this isn't a fix, but some advice, poorly informed, on where your problem may be.

With that said, your best bet is to take the car to a mechanic of sorts that would be willing to take a look at the car without billing your for labor right away

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote