Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 05:07 PM   #1

Unhappy Value of my car as a trade-in?

Hello all,

I am trying to thoroughly evaluate the resale value of my car as a TRADE IN. There are a few mechanical things wrong and the cost of fixing is very high, which is making me consider selling instead.

Car: 2001 white tip box. black top, grey int. no options aside from tiptronic and a 6-disc. Car has 41000 miles. Interior and paint are near-immaculate and the top is brand new.

Issues: Small oil leak (minor RMS) and a small power steering fluid leak.

What would a reasonable trade-in value be given those issues? Now, what would a reasonable trade-in value be if I did not have those problems.

JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:35 PM   #2

Values rise and fall by region. You need to go to edmunds.com, kbb and other web sites and put in your zip code.

Take off $800 for an RMS repair. I've not a clue as to what to take off for the power steering leak. If it's a high pressure hose it's not much, but if it's the pump leaking that's gonna be hundreds.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:48 PM   #3

If your going to trade in to a dealer, my personal belief is "f*ck em." You can power wash the bottom of your car and eliminate signs of an RMS leak. They wont know for a while (couple weeks or 100 miles). To a dealer, this is NBD. The part costs 16 bucks and labor doesn't really cost them anything (except having their tech do the work). Its a dick move, but they prolly will just sell it to the next guy the same way if/when they find out. Thats what happened to me. Bought my car from a dealer with a leaky RMS that had been power washed clean. On the bright side, I prolly need a new clutch anyhow so w/e.

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg

Last edited by fragdude; 07-14-2008 at 05:51 PM.
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:49 PM   #4

Went to dealer to find out the trade-in value of MY 2000 base. Dealer said he might be able to give me about $11000 on a trade-thought this was kinda low so I will not be trading her in anytime soon.
986911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:54 PM   #5

11k for a 2000? thats highway robbery.

-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

Old 07-14-2008, 06:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragdude
If your going to trade in to a dealer, my personal belief is "f*ck em." You can power wash the bottom of your car and eliminate signs of an RMS leak. They wont know for a while (couple weeks or 100 miles). To a dealer, this is NBD. The part costs 16 bucks and labor doesn't really cost them anything (except having their tech do the work). Its a dick move, but they prolly will just sell it to the next guy the same way if/when they find out. Thats what happened to me. Bought my car from a dealer with a leaky RMS that had been power washed clean. On the bright side, I prolly need a new clutch anyhow so w/e.
That is very unethical

But you gave me an idea...not that I would be opposed to taking 1K less on the car for its mechanical shape.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:24 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragdude
11k for a 2000? thats highway robbery.
11K = robbery? For who...the owner or dealer? (I assume the own is getting robbed via the stealer).
Old 07-14-2008, 06:46 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCL12
11K = robbery? For who...the owner or dealer? (I assume the own is getting robbed via the stealer).
Its robbery for the owner, the car is worth more than 11k.

And yes, what I said previously is extremely unethical. But you have to remember, if you tell the dealer that you have a leaky RMS, they are going to take more than the dealer cost of repair from the amount they would offer you for a trade in. And to be honest, opertunity costs set aside, it would cost the dealer something like 150 dollars to fix the RMS assuming they pay their tech $20/hour.

But like I said, I would only consider doing this to a Porsche dealer. If I was to sell the car privately, I would tell them how it is.

But its probably just me venting since I bought my car from a dealer with a leaky RMS

-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

Old 07-14-2008, 07:23 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986911
Went to dealer to find out the trade-in value of MY 2000 base. Dealer said he might be able to give me about $11000 on a trade-thought this was kinda low so I will not be trading her in anytime soon.
With the engine?