Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-14-2008, 04:34 AM   #1

Anybody have one of these??

http://www.durametric.com/

I replaced the airbag mount frame,(cause of the horn issue), and my airbag light is on now.. I need to reset the code, but also I would like to have a look at the software.. see whats up with it..

Yes, I could go to the dealer or Eibell's, but that is a last resort.. Its not the money.. I really just can't stand the fact that repair places think everyone else is as dumb as a stump.. I just don't have any tolerance anymore..

I am in the Tampa/St.Pete area of Florida.....

skip_168 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:59 AM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I do not have experience with the durametric, but most people like them.

Just so you know, your going to have to go to the dealer anyway. You cannot reset an airbag light without a PSII for safety reasons.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000

Just so you know, your going to have to go to the dealer anyway. You cannot reset an airbag light without a PSII for safety reasons.
I just sent an email to durametrics.. just to be sure.. If I have to go to the dealer, I will have to go.. I'll just have to take a few people with me so I don't loose my temper...

Old 07-14-2008, 08:11 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000

this was Durametrix response:

Hello Steve,

Thank you for your inquiry. Yes, the Durametric tool allows for diagnosis and code clearing of the airbag system on the ’00 Boxster. You can learn more about the features of Durametric by visiting the Model/Feature matrix on our web site: http://www.durametric.com/modelfeaturematrix.aspx.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us again.

Best Regards,

Owen Sutton

Durametric Software, Inc.

Last edited by skip_168; 07-14-2008 at 08:15 AM.
Old 07-14-2008, 08:16 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by skip_168
I just sent an email to durametrics.. just to be sure.. If I have to go to the dealer, I will have to go.. I'll just have to take a few people with me so I don't loose my temper...
Durametric as well as PIWIS and PST2 will reset airbag lights so hopefully you'll find someone near you who can help.

Like it or not... b/c the airbag is an integral safety item, a [qualified] technician/mechanic must read the code as to why it faulted and then reset it. In states w/ safety inspections, vehicles equipped w/ airbags will not pass if the light is on or if the bag is not present (i.e it went off and owner doesn't want to replace). I'm not saying you're not qualified but them is the rules (probably law)....... you can probably send a thank you note to your local congressman / senator Qualified means has the proper tools and as such is assumed to be properly trained to do so. Plus, proper airbag deployment/activation is a huge liability issue so this is just another safeguard to ensure it's working properly.

Anyhow, replacing the mount should not have caused the light to come on unless you had the key in the ignition and/or left the neg. terminal connected and disconnected the airbag. Even if it's not turn on, as soon as the key is placed in the ignition it activates the airbag system(s)

Good luck and try not to strangle anyone

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 07-14-2008 at 08:19 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 08:25 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burg Boxster
Durametric as well as PIWIS and PST2 will reset airbag lights so hopefully you'll find someone near you who can help.

Like it or not... b/c the airbag is an integral safety item, a [qualified] technician/mechanic must read the code as to why it faulted and then reset it. In states w/ safety inspections, vehicles equipped w/ airbags will not pass if the light is on or if the bag is not present (i.e it went off and owner doesn't want to replace). I'm not saying you're not qualified but them is the rules (probably law)....... you can probably send a thank you note to your local congressman / senator Qualified means has the proper tools and as such is assumed to be properly trained to do so. Plus, proper airbag deployment/activation is a huge liability issue so this is just another safeguard to ensure it's working properly.

Anyhow, replacing the mount should not have caused the light to come on unless you had the key in the ignition and/or left the neg. terminal connected and disconnected the airbag. Even if it's not turn on, as soon as the key is placed in the ignition it activates the airbag system(s)

Good luck and try not to strangle anyone
yeah, I know the game, I was a technician for Porsche,(non-dealer though), for 8 years while going to school... its BS.. people think you're going to die if the airbag system isn't working.. airbag are a SUPLEMENT aka.. SIRS, (suplemental inflatable restraint system).. the seatbelts were working fine b4 airbags got here...

and yeah, I was also installing my satelite antenna at the same time, so I had the ign. on with the airbag dissconected...

Old 07-14-2008, 03:38 PM   #7
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
It's normal OBD readers that won't clear airbag lights. I'm not to familiar with the durametric.
Old 07-14-2008, 04:59 PM   #8

If you want to avoid the dealer, you can look up a local porsche mechanic and see if they have a PST2. I recently went to a dealer near me to try and turn my OBC on, they wanted to charge me 120 for it. Then I went to Rennwerke near me and they said no problem. In fact, I was the first person to ask them to do that. So if you want to avoid the dealer....thats a pretty decent option IMO

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote