Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-12-2008, 03:03 AM   #1

987 IMS Extended Warranty Question

I bought a 2005 987S about a year ago from an individual. Built in late May '05. Has a factory warranty through June '09. I am concerned about the IMS failure rate on these cars and would like to get an extended warranty.

There is a lot of collective wisdom in this forum. Who has recommendations on a reliable after market warranty company for catastrophic failures like the IMS problem? I emailed Warranty Direct for Porsche repair references and got no reply back - took that as a bit questionable - will call them back if others have had good luck on major repair issues.

I can handle all the typical maintenance/repairs myself but major engine blow ups are just too $$$. I only have 13K on it now. Will never get close to 50K in another year to know whether the IMS will hold out or not. Thanks for any advice. Great car to drive - I thought that the 987 revision would have corrected both RMS and IMS - guess not ...

Mike in AZ

Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:39 AM   #2

I would suggest a search on Warranties and/or IMS here on the site.

You will likely find what you are looking for. Lots of data posted.

Good luck.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 06:56 AM   #3

Sort of off topic, sort of the same topic. For those who have suffered IMS failure and gotten a new factory re-mfg'd engine from germany:

-What warranty coverage comes with the new engine?
-Is the factory re-mfg'd engine "as good as new"?
-Can anybody post the costs (time + materials) and lead times you dealt with for a 2.7?
-What salvage values have ya'll gotten on a boxster with a blown engine?

The reason I ask is that all of these factors are critical pieces of data to consider when looking at a boxster and evaluting any business case to buy/sell. We all hear cost ranges for IMS failure, 12-15K, 10-15K, etc etc. There is a big difference between 11K and 15K to me!

The other reason I ask this is because I was looking at other cars recently in case I was to trade in the boxster and the cost differential for what I want might be as much as $11,000....the approximate cost to fix a blown engine. Obv, I'd much prefer to keep the boxster cause its a fun car and just not worry about any potential engine failure costs.
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2008, 04:57 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in AZ
I bought a 2005 987S about a year ago from an individual. Built in late May '05. Has a factory warranty through June '09. I am concerned about the IMS failure rate on these cars and would like to get an extended warranty.

There is a lot of collective wisdom in this forum. Who has recommendations on a reliable after market warranty company for catastrophic failures like the IMS problem? I emailed Warranty Direct for Porsche repair references and got no reply back - took that as a bit questionable - will call them back if others have had good luck on major repair issues.

I can handle all the typical maintenance/repairs myself but major engine blow ups are just too $$$. I only have 13K on it now. Will never get close to 50K in another year to know whether the IMS will hold out or not. Thanks for any advice. Great car to drive - I thought that the 987 revision would have corrected both RMS and IMS - guess not ...

Mike in AZ
Have you tried buying any kind of extended warranty through Porsche, or a Porsche dealer?
Most manufacturers will sell you an extended warranty before your original runs out, and same old same old, with Mazda, the closer you are to lapse of original, the more the extended costs.
Old 07-12-2008, 07:47 PM   #5

dealer warranties vs aftermarket

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
Have you tried buying any kind of extended warranty through Porsche, or a Porsche dealer?
Most manufacturers will sell you an extended warranty before your original runs out, and same old same old, with Mazda, the closer you are to lapse of original, the more the extended costs.
I haven't tried a dealer for extended warranty - I, perhaps incorrectly, presumed they mark up someone elses policies. That is a good thought, I'll call around the dealers and see what they say. I have only been to the dealer once for an oil change and once over IPO check out when I bought it last summer. Any idea what they would charge for a "catastrophic" type failure policy? Like a high deductible on an insurance policy. I'm really only concerned about grenading the motor. Most any other failure I am comfortable "self insuring".

Take care.

Mike

Mike in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote