Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2008, 06:08 PM   #1

Faded vinyl solution

Tonight I tried leatherique black leather/vinyl dye on my right door panel and it made it look brand new. The before and after is simply amazing!

For all you older boxster owners with black vinyl interiors, you gotta get some of this stuff and brush it on your vinyl. It dries in 24 hours and takes the sun faded look away and makes whatever you put it on look showroom fresh.

If anyone else has tried this before and has suggestions for me as to whether I should hit it with something to protect it (like a low gloss lacquer or something) that would be great.

...and I thought I was gonna have to replace the panel after the damage I did with 3M adhesive spray and that piece of leather I cut for it!

Last edited by RandallNeighbour; 07-10-2008 at 06:13 PM.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:10 PM   #2

Has anyone used these producst to change the colour of their interior pieces? I have the full boxtser red leather interior and I think it might be nice to have black as well as some red accent pieces. The full 100% red is just a bit too much for me.

Carbon Everything
De-ambered
De-snorkled
Litronics
Eibach Pro Kit
Dansk Sport exhaust
Cheap Chinese headers
Silver console and bumperettes
AVIC D3
15mm H&R spacers in the rear
SSR GT3 19's
GT3 Carbon Replicas
Alcantera door panels
JL Aduio 5 channel powering Polks and Clif Designs

To do/complete:
Elemental Designs 10" subs in fiberglass enclosures behind seats
Carbon 3 spoke install with custom stereo control buttons (tiptronic wheel)
angman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:34 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by angman
Has anyone used these producst to change the colour of their interior pieces? I have the full boxtser red leather interior and I think it might be nice to have black as well as some red accent pieces. The full 100% red is just a bit too much for me.
A friend did a 550 Spyder kit car and did his interior black with just red seats. It turned out great!!
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 01:40 PM   #4

Read up on it on the leatherique web site. Requires sanding the leather with very fine sand paper and multiple coats of dye, best done with a spray gun.

Sounds like a LOT of work with marginal results if you don't know what you're doing.

I agree though. A full red leather interior is a bit much for this Porsche owner. Maybe if I was a woman I'd like it more.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:23 PM   #5

yeah that stuff does miracles on leather too... but keep the stuff handy for future use because like any other thing that is high traffic the product will wear away again.

I have a tiny 3/4" scratch on my passenger side seat. I'm thinking about trying to fix this with leatheriqe.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 03:14 PM   #6
bmussatti

Randall, to keep the vinyl looking good, use a product called Vinylex. It is in a blueish spray bottle. Works great as a tire dressing too.
Old 07-14-2008, 03:36 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmussatti
Randall, to keep the vinyl looking good, use a product called Vinylex. It is in a blueish spray bottle. Works great as a tire dressing too.
I use Aerospace 303 for the same things and it's probably a very similar formulation. It's also for vinyls and rubber. It replaces the chemicals that the vinyl and rubber lose to weathering and UV and 303 is also a "sunblock" for them. I got the info from guys here, researched the two prooducts and decided on the 303.
Full disclosure: I do not have a ten year history to back up the manufacture's claim.......

Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote