Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 10:23 PM   #1

ReAL CAtz oN Da CaR?!?!

how can i keep my cat off my car?!?!? i've tried talking to her, i've tried several assasination attempts with an air rifle, ive dug pits and covered them with fine twigs and leaves but nothing seems to work!!! when the car is WASHED she will jump up on the left hand side rear wing, make her way up the trunk diagonally, then up the rear screen and sit on the roof, shed a little fur in the procees, then down the front screen, across the hood and exit off the right hand front fender by the headlight!!

Now!....can i electrify the bodywork?...........discuss

this happens alot, she is 12 and she's done it for the past 11 years me cant take it noooooooo more

jonnycool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 AM   #2

I've got a friend who has two cats and has a permanent fur spot in the middle of his convertible top. If she's been doing it for 11 years she not going to stop now. Especially if the car has been sitting out in the sun and the canvas gets nice and warm. As an owner of 7 of those bad boys (well 4 boys and 3 girls) I know. Now you know why they call me gregdacat!

The only thing I can think of is to put a long tail on your car and a couple of big ears so it looks like a giant mouse. Then tell your cat to "hunt the mouse." She may just leave it alone, then. Mine will do anything to avoid earning their keep.

Seriously. Put the car in the garage and keep the cat out of the garage. Works for me.
Old 07-05-2008, 04:54 AM   #3

two things usually work....

- cover your soft top w/ aluminum foil (pets usually hate the feel of it under foot)

- lay numerous strips of packing tape (sticky side up) on the top.... just be prepared to deal w/ the aftermath if your cat is long haired.....

The foil trick usually takes numerous attempts of the cat landing on it to learn they don't like..... whereas the packing tape takes only once

Last edited by Burg Boxster; 07-05-2008 at 11:07 AM.
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 06:46 AM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
There was a thread a while back about someone having this same problem. I am glad my cat isn't like this.

I would go to a pet store and see if they have any animal repellant, like Bitter Apple. Then spray some around the car. Cats hate it, and eventually learn to avoid the area. Although you could just sit in the garage with a spray bottle.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:03 AM   #5

I am renting a $177.69 per month mini-storage garage for my box because our next door neighbors have two outside cats. I kept a weekend test drive 2002S at my house overnight in the carport and the next morning there was cat hair all over the top that did not come out, no matter how hard I worked on it. It cost me $100.00 with the dealer.
The neighbors are getting ready to move to North Carolina and I've already informed them that if they don't take the two cats with them.............................
I'm an easy going guy and the cats were here before my convertible, but.........
Old 07-05-2008, 07:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnycool
how can i keep my cat off my car?!?!?
Get rid of the cat.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 08:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ofishbein
Get rid of the cat.
Ruger 10/22-Bull barrel target model. Mobil1 oil bottle. Place neck of Mobil1 bottle over end of .875" diameter barrel, secure with 1" hose clamp. Make sure bottle is rotated "down" to not interfere with sight picture. Place cat head in proper position in said sight picture. Squeeze trigger. Repeat, as necessary.
Properly dispose of Mobil1 bottle and remains.
Have a nice day.

Old 07-05-2008, 11:58 AM   #8

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I don't have a cat but there are enough strays everywhere to go around. All I have to say is be careful not to park the car with the top down. I had a Miata that a cat sprayed the inside of and it was the most putrid odor and impossible to get out. I finally got rid of the smell when I spilled some coffee in the car. I guess it absorbed the smell.

I have heard about some light electric shock you can put on the car that will repel animals, but I don't know if it's legal or actually exists or is just something that is urban legend.

Now if only someone could tell me how to stop my dog from going to the bathroom in the living room....
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:21 PM   #9

Another cure....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gz-sC-vSIXk

**** not for squimish people
Burg Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 12:34 PM   #10

Burg

I was laughing so hard the dog is in here whining at me!!
For some reason the cat hauled ass..........
Old 07-05-2008, 01:25 PM   #11

Quote:

"I was laughing so hard the dog is in here whining at me!!"

I beg to differ.

THAT video is NOT funny in the least.

My only hope that it was contrived and not authentic. In all honesty, I really cannot tell for sure.

It's trash like that that makes me question, if only briefly, the wisdom of unfettered freedom of speech.
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 03:48 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frodo
Quote:

"I was laughing so hard the dog is in here whining at me!!"

I beg to differ.

THAT video is NOT funny in the least.

My only hope that it was contrived and not authentic. In all honesty, I really cannot tell for sure.

It's trash like that that makes me question, if only briefly, the wisdom of unfettered freedom of speech.
You can't be serious!
There's no way a sunroof could move fast enough to catch a cat.
But it was funny as hell to all of us non cat-lovers.
Old 07-05-2008, 05:57 PM   #13

Quote:

"You can't be serious!"

Posted by Quickurt.

I already conceded that the vid could well be contrived, but admitted that I wasn't positive one way or the other.

The sunroof was only open slightly wider than the size of the cat's head. (Cats have been known to insert their heads into tight spaces if they're curious about what might be inside. They are inquisitive animals.) The roof would only have to close a centimeter or two to create an opening slightly smaller than the cat's skull. Skulls being solid bone and not flexible/compressible tissue, once that happens, there's no escaping.

And the way that cat reacted, then slid off the car (doing a flip over the side view mirror), that looked like a dead cat. (Of course, it could have been road kill, or come from some other source.)

The strongest piece of evidence against the vid being real is the fact that vertebrae, skin, fur, trachea and the other miscellaneous soft tissue making up the neck of an animal is not exactly easy to transect.

I really do HOPE the video was in fact the creation of someone with a lot of time on their hands. I really don't have anything against people who don't like cats (to each his own), as long as they don't intentionally swerve their cars to run them over, or toss unwanted kittens from a moving vehicle, or commit any of the other sadistic atrocities I have personally witnessed in my time.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:12 PM   #14

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
I'm pretty certain that is a professionally made commercial, therefore not some real video of a cat being decapitated.
LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #15

Yeah, Bun, I think you're right. (I didn't pay much attention to the source, other than "youtube.com".)

Accepting that as being the case, I can't imagine an ad like that would sell a lot of cars. Half the world are 'cat people' (give or take), after all. It's just kinda poor taste in my book.

However, I'll officially stand down on this one.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:07 PM   #16
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I'm certain it's fake. If you have ever tried to approach a cat, their sharp, and I doubt you could close a sunroof on it. Even if you had a modified sunroof that seemed to operate faster than any other sunroof in existence. A real cat would have no problem getting getting away in time.
Who was activating the top, I saw no person in the car? And why did they have a camera setup, turned on, and perfectly framed around the car at the exact time the cat arrived?

Last edited by rick3000; 07-05-2008 at 08:10 PM.
rick3000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:14 PM   #17

ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 10:25 PM   #18

I don't have a cat problem but I like this fix for the birds. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97B0MJb7KU8&feature=related
these are all web commericals
rockbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 04:58 AM   #19

Yeah, THAT one I've seen before. It's been so long ago, I didn't make the connection between the two.

And I have to admit (a little sheepishly), THAT one didn't bother me at all. It looks like a commercial. The cat one just looks sadistic, an evil trap set by someone who, not too many years ago, blew up frogs with M-80s.

And I---like most---don't exactly have a soft spot in my heart for pigeons. Must be the bird-bomb factor. And the fact that, in addition to dogs, I've always had at least one cat in my life. And that I work with cats every day, have done so for years---and have the scars to show it!
Old 07-06-2008, 08:45 AM   #20

Hey Frodo, what part of Ohio?
Gregdacat is in Covington, KY. My family is from Cincinnati. I was born in Hamilton and lived in Sidney, Piqua, Lima and Ft. Wayne before we moved to Miami in '61. (Yeah, I know, older than dirt... ) I still have family in Cincy (Western Hills) and Covington.