Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2008, 01:44 PM   #1

Just got the REVO 5 hour ECU trial

Local Porsche shop here in Montreal reflashed my ECU with the REVO software and I can't say I'm impressed.

My expectations were very low since I only have a Fabspeed exhaust, but still...

The car is a *little* more responsive on the throttle, but then again it could be my mind wanting to think this.

Anyone else tried it?

I only put 91 octane on my last fill up; the seller told me to put 94 octane on my next fillup and that there would be a difference...hmmm

He also told me that the trial software is the most basic one, and that if I buy the little controller that is sold seperatly I could switch from 91 octane settings to 94 octane settings and get better performance.

I'm not sold at all, and think I'll be dumping money towards a short shift kit instead next month!

Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 01:54 PM   #2

Thanks for the feedback. I've been considering the REVO upgrade. Do you have any other performance mods done to the car? Usually a software change on a bone stock car doesn't yield much in the way of hp increase on these cars. Do they have programs based on what is done to the car...intake/exhaust ect?

Scratch my question...I just noticed you said you had a fabspeed catback.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:41 PM   #3
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but a couple of my friends who had this "free 5 hr. trial" actually ended up having CEL lights pop up. One had to have their ECU reflashed at the dealer. Apparently, although they say the ECU reverts back to the "stock" program after 5 driving hrs, it actually reverts to a generic stock program that is not really the factory programing. I've also read on some boards that after 5 hrs passes, the programming is made such that it makes the car feel noticeably sluggish compared to when it was under the 5 hour trial, so that it makes the driver want to pony up for the full flash. I have seen no evidence of this though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Regardless, I'd say even if the reflash did produce ~10hp as they claim, it still isn't worth the $900, as you can't really feel 10hp imo.

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:46 PM   #4

give it some more time for the ecu to readapt, and drive aggressively... when i had the revo trial flash, i didn't notice anything... then after my 2 hour drive home from the shop (from LA to SD) I drove around town and really noticed how much more willing it was to rev and noticed the better throttle response...

I have Softronic now and it took awhile for the ecu to adapt and to feel the difference...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

WTB: looking for some 5-7mm spacers with extended bolts
chaudanova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 10:14 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaudanova
give it some more time for the ecu to readapt, and drive aggressively... when i had the revo trial flash, i didn't notice anything... then after my 2 hour drive home from the shop (from LA to SD) I drove around town and really noticed how much more willing it was to rev and noticed the better throttle response...

I have Softronic now and it took awhile for the ecu to adapt and to feel the difference...
After the 5 hours ended did your car drive normally? No CEL?
Old 07-04-2008, 10:17 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I don't know if it was coincidence or not, but a couple of my friends who had this "free 5 hr. trial" actually ended up having CEL lights pop up. One had to have their ECU reflashed at the dealer. Apparently, although they say the ECU reverts back to the "stock" program after 5 driving hrs, it actually reverts to a generic stock program that is not really the factory programing. I've also read on some boards that after 5 hrs passes, the programming is made such that it makes the car feel noticeably sluggish compared to when it was under the 5 hour trial, so that it makes the driver want to pony up for the full flash. I have seen no evidence of this though, so take that with a grain of salt.

Regardless, I'd say even if the reflash did produce ~10hp as they claim, it still isn't worth the $900, as you can't really feel 10hp imo.

WTF?

Where did your friend get his information that after the 5 hours the car gets programmed to be slower than stock?

I hope you're wrong or else Revo is going to have a nice little lawyer letter signed by me if this happens to me....which I highly doubt though, they wouldn't get into a legal mess like this....
Old 07-04-2008, 10:32 PM   #7

Well after doing a bit of highway driving I'll admit the car pulls a little harder above 4000RPMs in 2nd and 3rd gear all the way to redline.

But still, not worth 1000$!

I'd rather spend that money on a ROW 030 suspension.
Old 07-05-2008, 03:16 AM   #8
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
WTF?

Where did your friend get his information that after the 5 hours the car gets programmed to be slower than stock?

I hope you're wrong or else Revo is going to have a nice little lawyer letter signed by me if this happens to me....which I highly doubt though, they wouldn't get into a legal mess like this....
I didn't get that information from my friends who did the 5 hr. trial. I read it on a thread about the Revo trial flash on a VW & Audi board actually. They claimed that. They also said the reversion back to stock wasn't really a stock factory program, but a REVO version of stock, hence, what might explain the CEL and drivability issues my friend had, and why he had to have his ECU reprogrammed at the dealer.

Both my friends' had the REVO trial flash done at the same time (one a 2000 Boxster, the other a 2000 Boxster S). Both ended up with CELs at around the same time after they had the trial flash done. It may just be a coincidence, however, so I'm not sure the reflash was what did it. All I know is that a reflash alone (even if it works), is not worth it unless you do it after modding the exhaust, intake, headers, etc. first. That way, you get the full benefit of the modified programming. In reality, the reflashes mostly benefit forced induction engined cars.

Also, I was there when my friends let the guy do the REVO reflash, and I heard the guy say that the reflash was programmed to give more pep in the lower to mid-range, not the upper range of the rev band (for better drivability), so if you say you feel more power up top, I'd say maybe it's just you wanting to feel more power from it. I do agree with you though...your money is probably better spent buying the RoW 030.

Last edited by Boxtaboy; 07-05-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2008, 11:25 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacques79
After the 5 hours ended did your car drive normally? No CEL?
Yups, I never got a CEL from the revo flash... none during, and none after...

And yeah, totally... after some driving, you'll feel it more... and I agree... I don't think its worth $1000 in my opinion, but I guess that opinion is up to each person on how much they can justify power/cost...

Some stuff for sale: M030 S 24mm front sway bar, M030 base 19.6mm rear sway bar, 996 GT3 OEM Porsche Motorsport front strut mounts monoball "camber plates"

Old 07-05-2008, 08:52 PM   #10

I got the 5 hour Revo flash too - about 2 years ago when I first got the car. I didn't ask for it, they just did it for me after a CV Boot repair. I didn't get a CEL or have any issues - and felt a slight improvement in throttle response, which is what they said the flash is good for. It was definitely not a night & day performance difference. I kind of want to go ahead & pay for it after I do my 60K and everything is well tuned. Not crazy about the $1K price tag, but it seems like that's the mod most recommended by techs. I can't see doing forced induction or the RUF type engine swaps.

Off topic - my car always ran fine, and then I desnorkled it 1 week ago. Now it's starting to idle rough & threw a CEL last night. Coincidence? Everyone says the snorkle is purely a noise abatement device, but I'm starting to wonder...

So I REsnorkled it and will see if it runs better. I hate to give up the cool new sound but... at what cost? I hope whatever the problem is, it's minor...
Arctic Silver /Black interior
Desnorkled then REsnorkled (planning on Revo flash & prob B&B Exhaust)
mylamb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2008, 09:45 PM   #11

Update

My gas tank was empty so I filled it up with 94 octane hoping that the Revo would work better this way.

Well it didn't change a single thing. nada.

Conclusion: don't waste your money, keep your 1000$ towards a downpayment on a 2008 Boxster S.
Old 07-06-2008, 02:44 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by mylamb

Off topic - my car always ran fine, and then I desnorkled it 1 week ago. Now it's starting to idle rough & threw a CEL last night. Coincidence? Everyone says the snorkle is purely a noise abatement device, but I'm starting to wonder...

So I REsnorkled it and will see if it runs better. I hate to give up the cool new sound but... at what cost? I hope whatever the problem is, it's minor...

I've had my car desnorkled for almost a year, and never a CEL or rough idle. I think it's something else that is causing your issues...either your MAF, spark plugs or something.

Old 07-06-2008, 02:55 AM   #13

revo,

its not worth it unless you get the whole thing, including the 100oct program, and you actually run 100oct. then, its definitely worth it. HP isn't cheap to come by in there cars. this one isn't cheap, but its not the most expensive either when it comes to $/hp.
Benny986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:11 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxtaboy
I've had my car desnorkled for almost a year, and never a CEL or rough idle. I think it's something else that is causing your issues...either your MAF, spark plugs or something.
Yeah, me neither... I never had any CEL/Idling issues from my desnorkeling... I did have rough idling issues on a different note, but it was simply solved by cleaning out my throttle body