Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 07:51 PM   #1

What did your Warranty Direct coverage cost?

I'm deciding to purchase coverage for my 2002 with 48k miles. The online (no phone conversation yet) quoted me $3743 for the Major Care plan 37 month/ 37000 miles and $4395 for the Xtra Care plan (37 months). Doesn't this seem a bit higher than what most have paid? Is the phone quote likely going to be negotiable? They are closed until Monday so I'll have to wait.

For those who have looked in to the fine print of both plans (Major Care and Xtra Care), what is the significant difference to increase the cost by $600?

RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 PM   #2
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I am not sure about Warranty Direct, but that seems high to me. Most people have said they paid around $3k for 3 years/36k miles. That is what I paid for my warranty through the dealer, and the car was 8 years old when I did it. You might be able to negotiate, and it doesn't hurt to try.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:02 AM   #3

$3k for 3 years would be reasonable to me. I'll try to negotiate on Monday.
Old 07-04-2008, 07:28 AM   #4

what are the restrictions on these plans? is there a certain # of years after which a car can't get warrantied? say it's a 2000 model? too old? or mileage? I'm guessing they may not warranty it beyond 100k?

i'm looking to buy a used boxster and may want to add a warranty to whatever ib uy to have peace of mind. if I found a good deal on a used boxster - say a 2001 or 2002 model that has roughly 50-75k miles on it - will they only warranty it up to a certain mileage? if i found a better deal on an older one say a 2000 model - do they refuse to warranty it due to it being 8 yrs old?

do these guys really cover stuff or do they then nickel/dime you on repairs and you get hosed? i had an extended warranty once on a volvo that I bought used on a lexus lot - and the warranty was EXCELLENT. they covered all kinds of stuff..even my volvo dealer was amazed at what they paid for. i've heard horror stories about other warranty companies.

does Porsche offer these extended warranties on used cars or do they sell the third party ones in the dealer

FYI - anything in life is negotiable and in this economy i bet they will be flexible on the price.
23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 08:08 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 23109VC
FYI - anything in life is negotiable and in this economy i bet they will be flexible on the price.
Very good point. Also, a message was left on my phone (WD sales rep) that they have various exclusions if you insure after 50k miles. I'm at 48k so I'll need to purchase soon. So far, WD seems the only way to go. I was looking forward to adding some 18" rims and tires but I'll go with the warranty instead (if the price is right).
Old 07-04-2008, 10:18 AM   #6

ROBZ,

I used to be a big proponent of Warranty Direct. As they were hassle free with the small stuff. Then I lost a rod bearing and needed a new engine. They bailed on their responsibility. Please take the time to visit this link BEFORE you decide to do business with them. Don't end up in the same boat with me.

Warranty Direct DID NOT honor their contract for me, I lost about $12,000 because of them

Trying to look out for my fellow Texan,

Mike
thenavarro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 12:17 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenavarro
ROBZ,

I used to be a big proponent of Warranty Direct. As they were hassle free with the small stuff. Then I lost a rod bearing and needed a new engine. They bailed on their responsibility. Please take the time to visit this link BEFORE you decide to do business with them. Don't end up in the same boat with me.

Warranty Direct DID NOT honor their contract for me, I lost about $12,000 because of them

Trying to look out for my fellow Texan,

Mike

Thanks for the heads up. Now I'm thinking about all of the scenarios where they may deny a claim: non-porsche authorized servicing, seal leaks.....

Now this is a tougher decision.