Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-01-2008, 02:37 PM   #1

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
Tire pressure monitoring...

My car now has about 2500 miles on it and I get a warning when I start it up that my front right tire is low by -4. However, when I look at the reading for all four tires they show equal or a small variance by a pound or 2, but never by 4. They have always changed a little due to road surface, temperature, etc. My dad even took a guage and checked my tire pressures and added a little air. Nothing was down by 4 though. Still, when I start the car it gives me a warning that the front right is down by 4. It's always the same, front right, -4.

I called the service department and they said the sensor could be bad. Needless to say, I'm not too excited at the thought of taking a day off work and taking my 3-month old car in to be looked at. Has anyone had this problem or are familiar with it? I'm wondering if it's just something that got tripped that will reset itself after a bit.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:02 PM   #2

Chances are the sensor in your wheel is faulty. I doubt it will just go away or reset. The sensor is connected to the valve stem, sits inside the wheel, and sends a signal to your TPM. It's about the size of a thumb drive for your computer. When you think about the harsh environment it lives in, it's kind of amazing it works so well.

So why not make an apointment and drop your baby off? This might be the first time strangers will be examining it, but probably not the last. They'll give you a loaner and the repair will be free. You paid good $$$ for you baby, why not have it in perfect condition? Just be sure to tell them to be careful with those gorgeous rims.

2500 mi in 3 mo? Not bad. I've got 6500 in 6 mo.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2008, 05:59 PM   #3

Shoot, that poor little sensor has probably melted in all this heat. I guess I'll take it in. They sure didn't mention anything about a loaner car when I called though.
Old 07-01-2008, 06:06 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
Shoot, that poor little sensor has probably melted in all this heat. I guess I'll take it in. They sure didn't mention anything about a loaner car when I called though.
Call again. It's part of the Certified Used Porsche program, I'm sure it's part of the new car warranty. If you don't ask for and reserve a loaner, they may be able to weasel out of it.
Tell them if they don't give you a loaner, you'll shove them in your frunk!!
Old 07-03-2008, 05:32 PM   #5

Well, I might have to shove the whole dealership in my frunk. I was told they don't have a loaner fleet.
Old 07-03-2008, 05:47 PM   #6

Try adding a few pounds first. These things can be very touchy sometimes
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 06:43 PM   #7

My dad did add air and checked it with a gauge. The warning about the -4 pounds didn't change. Whenever I look at the computer monitoring for all four tires it varies, but the -4 never changes. Maybe if I bring it in they'll find there is nothing wrong, but it's just odd that every single time I start the car for the past few days it tells me I'm -4 on the front right. I wouldn't really care except for the fact that I'd hate to have a real problem and then not realize it because the monitor is faulty.
Old 07-04-2008, 05:23 AM   #8

Ahh... the infamous Porsche of New Orleans. Don't get me started on them.

I think I'd contact your salesperson (if they're still there) and raise holy hell with him / her about buying a premium car and being treated like you own a Kia. Oops, I forgot we're talking PoNO and they probably don't care about fostering a long term relationship. Might also try the Service Mgr. Not having a loaner program sounds like a bunch of bunk to me. Isn't that dealership a sister to a Mecedes dealership? Bet their customers get loaners.

I feel for you LB. Can't imagine their service techs are going to be too good with the overall attitude of that dealership. What is PoNO going to be like when you have something serious go wrong?
Old 07-04-2008, 08:56 AM   #9

Since the TP Monitor lives on the inside rim, before going to the Dealer, snap a quick pic of each of your wheels, along with a current daily newspaper (to show the condition of the wheels on a certain date), before taking it in.

If your wheels get scratched when they pull/mount the tire back on the rim, you have proof that it happened at the dealer and not from curb rsh or such.
1999 Porsche Boxster
(gone, but not forgotten)
http://i933.photobucket.com/albums/a...smiley-003.gif

Never drive faster than your Guardian Angel can fly!
Lil bastard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 03:39 PM   #10

Add ten psi over the recommended pressure on the problem tire. I believe you then have to drive 20km to calibrate the system, check the display to see if the pressure has changed.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 04:43 PM   #11

So if my tire had been low and my dad added some pressure it would take 20 KM for the warning to reset? (and how many miles is that???) I'm sure I've probably driven that since though.

I never thought I should be worried about them scratching up my wheels. Oh, goodness. This is a pain in the butt.

I had a great experience with the salesman I bought the car from. Yes, Porsche of NO is right next to a Mercedes dealer, and I think they are both owned by Benson. My dad sells Mercedes parts and told me that the Mercedes dealer does not give loaners but has a rental place on premesis where you can rent a car. I don't know if that is true (he gets things confused sometimes) but if so, it really bites. When I had my Lexus I got a loaner. My mom brought her 1999 Volvo to the dealer and they gave her a ride home! She didn't even buy the car from them. So I want to know wtf is up with a dealer that can sell cars for 100K and up and not offer a person a loaner car???? It's no wonder they lose sales to Lexus.

I didn't buy my Boxster for the service department perks. I bought it because I liked the car. But you'd think something simple like a loaner car when your new vehicle with 2500 miles on it has a problem wouldn't be too much to ask. I don't even care what they'd loan me. But how can they expect people just to take off of work to sit in the dealership waiting for their car?
Old 07-04-2008, 06:50 PM   #12

20km=12 miles.

I remember reading something about needing to have more then 32PSI in the tire and driving it to reset. I'll try and find the info and post back.
wvicary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2008, 07:11 PM   #13

Thanks. I've definitely driven more than 12 miles but I dont think the pressure was up to 32 psi. I think the recommend front pressure is 27.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:57 PM   #14

Sundry items:

27 seems low for 19s. Look at the tag in the door sill (just below the chrome hook for the latch) when you open the driver's door. It'll give you the proper pressure. I don't know if we have different tires since mine's an S and your's is a base, but mine is 32 and I have 19's. Maybe you are down 4#.

Benson must be playing with his Saints too much and lost track of time. This isn't the 80's. He needs to get with the program. However, I suppose he's the only Porsche and Merc dealership in the area, so he thinks he can set the rules. Woodhouse here in Omaha always gives a loaner if your car has warranty left. Too bad there wasn't another Porsche dealership in NO to provide a little competition.

Yes, service techs will need to be careful with your wheels. In today's photoshop world, it may be useless taking a picture of a newspaper next to your wheels. Might work to take a pic of the service mgr looking at your wheels, though.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 PM   #15

I got the 27 psi from the door panel. I could be wrong about it being 27 though. My dad is actually the one who looked and put in the air. But if it's low then why would only one side show up -4? It's equal pressure on both sides. My backs are higher psi than the fronts.

Yep, this is the only Porsche dealer around here. And I don't think they sell a ton of them in New Orleans. They do sell quite a few Mercedes it seems though so I don't know what the deal is with the service. The girl I talked to on the phone didn't even give me a really complete answer. I kept asking if it's just locally, that that dealer doesn't give loaners but not all Porsche dealers, and she kept mentioning that they don't have a loaner fleet.

When I was in Tampa I took my Lexus in once and they were out of loaners. They rented me a car and had it brought over to the dealer. I didn't pay a dime for it, not even the gas in the tank. And my Lexus was out of warranty.
Old 07-05-2008, 07:15 PM   #16

Okay. I just looked in the door frame with my own eyes and the front pressure is supposed to be 32, back 37. I don't know where my dad got 27 from, but I'm thinking maybe he needs to get his vision checked.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:30 PM   #17

Take a reading on the left front and see if it's close to 32 (remember to do this in the morning before driving it, aka a "cold" reading). If it's 32, then mystery solved as to why only the right front sensor shows -4.

PS. Don't be upset with your Dad. He's just trying to help his favorite daughter. However, a word of advise. DON'T let your Dad add any fluids (antifreeze, pwr steering, oil, etc) to your car unless he's a Porsche guy. These cars take special fluids and adding ordinary fluids will damage your car. Most people don't know Porsches require special fluids, so unless he knows Porsches he may think it's OK to top off with what he has in the garage. That will be a costly mistake. Might want to casually mention this to him now before he tries to help you out without telling you. It will be too late then to have that conversation.

Last edited by husker boxster; 07-05-2008 at 08:41 PM.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:50 PM   #18

So the recommended pressures are for a cold tire, not one that is heated up? If so, then I think they are all low. Maybe I should take the pressures in the middle of the night because that's about the only time that it's not hot around here.
Old 07-05-2008, 08:59 PM   #19

Ah, and thanks for the advice about adding fluids. I'd like to think that my dad would know what to do and not to do since he's been working with cars in one way or another for his whole life, but then he's the one that seems to have gotten the tire pressures wrong. I don't think he'd just add fluids to my car, at least I hope not. He seems like he's getting nuttier as he ages though.

When I was planning to buy my Boxster he kept griping and carrying on about how he didn't understand why anyone would get a Porsche and I shouldn't get one, blah, blah, blah. Then right before I was about to get it he sends me an e-mail with a whole bunch of info about Boxsters and tells me they look like great cars. Now that I have it he loves it.
Old 07-05-2008, 09:24 PM   #20

That sucks they don't offer loaners.

I generally don't trust TPMS due to their general lack of accuracy. But it is good to know if a tire is going flat. On such nice wheels I would suggest investing in a good gauge and keeping an eye on them every now and then.

32psi sounds better for a 19".

Husker... I feel what you are saying. The dealer I bought my '05 from said they changed the oil, I believe them, but its a used chevy dealer. As competent as they are I have no idea what they used. I plan on changing the oil in 3K or less miles. Good fluids are important too.

P.S. how does the boxster deal with the rough NO roads. My 944 was not happy with the potholes and rough/unevenness. I bottomed out a number of times when I was there.

Good luck and I hope it all works out!!

944boy is offline   Reply With Quote