Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-05-2008, 09:29 PM   #21

Send a message via AIM to LoveBunny
NO roads are not the best for this car. That's probably why SUVs are a lot more popular here than sports cars. I have to be really careful to avoid potholes. I also got a tire/wheel warranty that covers just about anything except for me hitting a curb.

LoveBunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 10:53 AM   #22

LB, I'm not referring to the outside temp in NO when I say take a cold reading. I mean take the reading before you drive your car for any distance. Just like an engine, the air in your tires will heat up when you drive your Box, which causes it to expand. Your pressure will then show a higher number if you measure it after driving the car (expanded air = higher psi).

As far as the fluids go, in most cases Porsches require synthetic oils (oil, pwr strg, etc). The antifreeze is typical European in that it doesn't contain phosphates but most of the popular brands sold in parts stores contain phosphates, so they won't work (even if you drain all the antifreeze and replace with phosphate a/f). In general, what your Dad may have in his garage probably won't be the proper fluid for your Porsche.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)

Last edited by husker boxster; 07-06-2008 at 11:02 AM.
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 12:36 PM   #23

I took a reading and it's 33 front, 38 back. I think my dad told me the wrong thing when he told me 27. I didn't add any air just now, just checked the pressures, and now the TPS system is telling me that it's resetting or something so I'm going to go drive a bit and see if it resets itself.
Old 07-06-2008, 06:51 PM   #24

LoveBunny,

The TPMS will show a -4 even if the tires have similar pressure if it over 4 psi below the recommended pressure. So as you figured out, 27 is below that level and you are getting the warning. It should reset itself rather quickly now that you added air.
GmanMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 06:56 PM   #25

I didn't add any air today though. I just checked the pressure and discovered that basically the 27 my dad told me was just him forgetting what it had been. The message I got that it was still acquiring the pressures has gone away and the stupid -4 warning came back on, so I guess I'll bring the dang car in tomorrow morning.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:28 PM   #26

The dealer has informed me that I was supposed to have 36 in the front tires and 39 in the back. I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that since the door panel says 32 and 37, but apparently that was the problem. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm sure they'll probably charge and arm and a leg to put some air in my tires.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:35 PM   #27
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBunny
The dealer has informed me that I was supposed to have 36 in the front tires and 39 in the back. I'm not sure how I was supposed to know that since the door panel says 32 and 37, but apparently that was the problem. I haven't picked it up yet, but I'm sure they'll probably charge and arm and a leg to put some air in my tires.
Hey LB, my bet is that since those wheels (those are 997 Turbo wheels in 19") did not come on your car, the sticker in the drivers door jamb my be incorrect. I have 19" Carrera Classics and my sticker also says 32/37.
Old 07-07-2008, 12:42 PM   #28

The sticker says 19" wheels, so I assumed that it was correct. Oh, well, at least now I know.
Old 07-08-2008, 01:05 PM   #29

Luckily I didn't get charged to find all this out.

The explanation I got from the lady at the dealer is that the computer is set at 36/39 so that's what it has to be. This makes no sense to me. I don't understand why what a computer is set at determines what amount of pressure a manual guage should read on my tire. Maybe I just didn't understand her explanation. I was really tired and recovering from a migraine.
Old 07-10-2008, 09:18 AM   #30

Built in tire sensors? Man, have we become lazy wimps... ...whats next? self parking..jeez..

I still check my 4 tires manually.
porscheracer01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 10:32 AM   #31
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by porscheracer01
Built in tire sensors? Man, have we become lazy wimps... ...whats next? self parking..jeez..

I still check my 4 tires manually.

I think this is becoming federally mandated soon, partially due to the Ford Explorer & Firestone tire blowout issues from a few years ago.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:28 PM   #32

See, the problem is when I checked them manually they were correct, at least according to what is listed in my door panel. But apparently that's not the correct pressure according to the computer. It really is so confusing to me I wish I could just manually check my tires and not be bothered with it.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:29 PM   #33

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Luckily I didn't get charged to find all this out.

The explanation I got from the lady at the dealer is that the computer is set at 36/39 so that's what it has to be. This makes no sense to me. I don't understand why what a computer is set at determines what amount of pressure a manual guage should read on my tire. Maybe I just didn't understand her explanation. I was really tired and recovering from a migraine.

Yours is probably set higher because you have the 19" TT wheels which I assume are wider than 19" CC's and would require afew more PSI to keep the tires from riding on there sidewalls.. just enough so that center of the tire protrudes out more and edges make even contact with the road. When you have too little PSI the center of the tire tread will colapse slightly and the sidewalls will take the grunt of the vehicle weight against the pavement.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:34 PM   #34

so maybe what is listed in my door panel is for 19" wheels but not for my specific 19" wheels? i know it does say 19" so that's why I thought it was what I would need.
Old 07-10-2008, 02:40 PM   #35

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
so maybe what is listed in my door panel is for 19" wheels but not for my specific 19" wheels? i know it does say 19" so that's why I thought it was what I would need.

I believe that is the case. You should be good now so long as you keep it at 36 psi.. did you notice it was easier to turn the steering wheel and the roads were slightly more bumpy since the increase in PSI?

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2008, 02:43 PM   #36

I really haven't noticed much difference driving it, but the difference was maybe 3 psi.