Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #1

the last major maintenance you had

So last year I got my car totally maintained by Porsche. They did everything that they said they would (though I would like to know "what they do" a question that begs answers). Anyway, my car has been running fine and the air conditioning works great still. My point is: at 51,000 miles on my base 2001 Boxster, should I expect good performance from my car 20,000 miles down the road? Anyone with experience know about this? Again, my car runs great and Porsche did good by me, but with the cost of that maintenenance (over $2000 all told), can I expect to run smoothly as time goes by? I don't drive my car far, to work and such (work is 2 miles away), yet I open it up periodically (yes, this issue gets into other threads) but I wanted to know about real time experience. Thanks!

teacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 06:03 PM   #2

i've got 85k miles on my 01 base box. i've had it for 2 years. it had 60k miles when i got it. no serious issues except that the water pump went out and left me stranded. i think it had about 70k miles. seems to be fairly common. cost was $750 +/-.
silverboxter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 07:29 PM   #3
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
I don't see why you would have any problems if you having everything done at the dealer. Any car that is maintained properly will run well for a long time. And if your getting concerned about the $2k a year, you can probably do most of the things yourself. These cars are easy to work on, and even if you don't want to get too technical, things like the replacing the cabin filter are easy enough. Also, a jiffy lube oil change is no different that a dealer oil change except for the price.
Old 06-25-2008, 11:19 AM   #4

Remember some maintenance items are TIME sensative, not just mileage sensative. You have given no indication to the number of miles per year you put on or how long it would take accrue the next "20K miles" - 1 year? 5 years? For instance, an item like brake fluid is to be flushed every 2 years. Oil changes either 1 every x miles or 1 per year. As to what "they do", it is spelled out in both the owners manual and should have been spelled out on the receipt they gave you. Also realize that Porsche has both 15K mile service and 30K mile services. Others are done at maybe 60K miles (say,serpantine belt for instance).
1970 914 w/2056 (sold)
racer_d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2008, 12:03 PM   #5
FTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Also, a jiffy lube oil change is no different that a dealer oil change except for the price.
I highly do NOT recommend Jiffy Lube. Don't even get me started about them....
Changing your own oil is tooooooo easy to pay someone else to do it. I also learned how to flush the brakes. Also very easy [see DIY: Brake Flush]. If you flush your brakes and change your oil at the same time, it would take about an hour including jacking up the car and save about $300. Paying yourself $300 / hr isn't too shabby.

On the original topic, I think the other answers covered it.
FTD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2008, 04:45 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
I don't see why you would have any problems if you having everything done at the dealer. Any car that is maintained properly will run well for a long time. And if your getting concerned about the $2k a year, you can probably do most of the things yourself. These cars are easy to work on, and even if you don't want to get too technical, things like the replacing the cabin filter are easy enough. Also, a jiffy lube oil change is no different that a dealer oil change except for the price.
if only I could get my car on a lift *hehe*

teacher is offline   Reply With Quote