Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2008, 12:26 AM   #1

Hello from a new owner (soon)

Hi

I signed up on this forum a couple of weeks ago and my first post was going to be along the lines of a brief background (we currently own two diesel cars, a Renault Scenic and a Mercedes A Class, previous car was a 600cc Smart) and how I’d always liked the classic 911 in Guards Red.

I don’t have enough knowledge and mechanical experience to source a good example of and old 911 and much to my surprise my wife, who’s not really into cars, really liked the Boxster. I was going to ask this forum what to look for when buying a second hand Boxster but there’s were no really good second hand ones available where I live so I looked on the Porsche website for dealers in the UK and we went from looking at second hand to possible buying a new Boxster with a few extras.

I was speaking to the salesman on the phone and almost as an aside I said that I didn’t suppose there were any Spyders available and it turns out he can get me one that I can get to my spec. We went to the UK and signed the papers at the weekend and our new Spyder is being built (we prefer to think of it as being born) on 7th July and hopefully delivery won’t be too long after that.

To say I’m excited would be an understatement; I’m counting the hours and days until I can collect it.

Mike

Manxie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:41 AM   #2

Congrats

Post some pics on the Show and Tell Forum once you pick up your new car.

Greg

2002 Triple Black, 64000K desnorkled, bumper plugs, nitrogen filled tires
gregdacat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 01:46 PM   #3

Congrats & welcome to the family.

I'm jealous of the curvy roads you have at your disposal to exercise your new Box. Before the Speed Channel became the NASCAR channel 24/7, they'd show the motorcylce race from the IofM (I think it was called TTsomething). Great course based on public roads. Have fun.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 02:56 PM   #4

It's going to be brutal trying to sleep at night while waiting.
Sputter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2008, 03:40 PM   #5

Garage
Congrats Manxie, I love your taste in color!!!
Old 06-20-2008, 04:13 AM   #6

Hi, and thanks for the welcome

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
I'm jealous of the curvy roads you have at your disposal to exercise your new Box. Before the Speed Channel became the NASCAR channel 24/7, they'd show the motorcylce race from the IofM (I think it was called TTsomething). Great course based on public roads. Have fun.
The Isle of Man is probably best know for the TT Races (www.iomtt.com) but I guess some forum members will know it as one of the places the BBC Top Gear team like to test cars as there's generally no maximum speed limit out of town. I'm hoping that my Tivo will record the old episode where they bring a Boxster, BMW Z3 and Honda over.

I must admit that I'm looking forward to driving the mountain road when I get it but I'm also taking the Institute of Advanced Motorists course just to brush up on my driving as I don't generally drive fast.

I should also add that I'm jealous of you guys in the USA as you can actually drive somewhere. I have to turn around after 12 miles. I drove the whole of Route 66 in May this year and have also enjoyed driving New England and the west coast from Seattle to San Francisco.

Mike
Old 06-20-2008, 04:16 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sputter
It's going to be brutal trying to sleep at night while waiting.
Tell me about it :dance:

My wife is a nurse and I've already asked her if she can give me something to knock me out until it's time to collect it.
Old 06-20-2008, 04:28 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
Congrats Manxie, I love your taste in color!!!
I love the GT Silver color but I'm not too sure about the red interior. I've read all of the comments about a "tart's boudoir" and "the inside of a womb" but I figure what the heck, I'm 50, fat and bald, how much dafter can I look in a Porsche?

Mike
Old 06-23-2008, 06:29 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxie
I what the heck, I'm 50, fat and bald, how much dafter can I look in a Porsche?

Mike
Hey Manxie...you may be 50, fat and bald but your styling...

Welcome aboard and one day you will find yourself that you need to logged in daily to get your fix
unklekraker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2008, 06:43 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by unklekraker
Welcome aboard and one day you will find yourself that you need to logged in daily to get your fix
I log in most days, just to try to get up to speed on the lingo of RMS and red clips

Sometimes the site seems to be down, I don't know if it's my connection to it that's the problem or if its the server itself

My Boxster is getting built two weeks today, not that I'm counting the days......

Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 05:56 AM   #11

I'm hoping to collect my new Boxster either this weekend or next weekend. What's the official Porsche advice about running in a Boxster?

Mike
Old 07-14-2008, 01:55 PM   #12

I bet you can't wait.

They should tell you this at the dealer, but keep it under 4K rpm for the first 2K mi. Also, don't drive it at a steady rpm for long periods of time (drive it around town rather than on the highway) for the first 2K mi.
2008 Boxster S Limited Edition #005
2008 Cayman S Sport - Signal Green
1989 928 S4 5 spd - black
1987 928 S4 - Granite Green Metallic (Felsengrun)
husker boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 02:03 PM   #13

I congradulate you on your new purchase! and am horribly jealous that you will have the experience of driving it on the Isle of Man!

If you need any of the current Top Gear episodes I have them all (the new format since ~2001). They have some nice tests out in the Isle of Man. Power slide by Jeremy Clarksons house, will ya?? haha

Happy motoring!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manxie
Hi, and thanks for the welcome

The Isle of Man is probably best know for the TT Races (www.iomtt.com) but I guess some forum members will know it as one of the places the BBC Top Gear team like to test cars as there's generally no maximum speed limit out of town. I'm hoping that my Tivo will record the old episode where they bring a Boxster, BMW Z3 and Honda over.

I must admit that I'm looking forward to driving the mountain road when I get it but I'm also taking the Institute of Advanced Motorists course just to brush up on my driving as I don't generally drive fast.

I should also add that I'm jealous of you guys in the USA as you can actually drive somewhere. I have to turn around after 12 miles. I drove the whole of Route 66 in May this year and have also enjoyed driving New England and the west coast from Seattle to San Francisco.

Mike

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 06:41 AM   #14

Yeah, it has felt like a long wait.

Some mornings I wake up and think it's just a dream and isn't going to happen

Some morning I wake up and wonder if I've done the right thing with the current economic climate and fuel cost.

Some morning I wake up with a big smile thinking it's one day closer to getting the car

Under 4k rpm for 2k miles is a bit of a downer, that's about a third of my annual mileage if I use it every day, which I'm not going to.

Still, I'll try to get some miles on it on my days off and nice evenings. Any idea what 4,000 rpm works out to in mph in each gear?

Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker boxster
I bet you can't wait.

They should tell you this at the dealer, but keep it under 4K rpm for the first 2K mi. Also, don't drive it at a steady rpm for long periods of time (drive it around town rather than on the highway) for the first 2K mi.
Old 07-15-2008, 06:46 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fragdude
If you need any of the current Top Gear episodes I have them all
I'm fairly hopeful that my Tivo will catch the relevant episode sometime soon as one of the satellite channels seems to keep showing older episodes most of the time.

If I was to want to take up your kind offer would it be something that could be done over the net or would it be the kind of "I pay the postage" sort of thing?

I think I'll contact the garage now to see if there's any more news re delivery as they said they should know more by Tuesday

Thanks

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 08:06 AM   #16

It left the factory today, so I can't see it being this weekend. Looks like I'll have to wait a bit longer

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 08:11 AM   #17

Quote:
If I was to want to take up your kind offer would it be something that could be done over the net or would it be the kind of "I pay the postage" sort of thing?
I'm pretty sure we could work it out either way...I have them electronically, would just need some way to send them.

Quote:
Any idea what 4,000 rpm works out to in mph in each gear?
I downloaded the 2007 Boxster Manual (its amazing whats available online!), and being porsche they put the gear ratios in it. Unfortunately, they no longer have the speed to rpm chart for each gear like they used to. But I worked it out using a speed vs rpm calculator (assuming the loaded tire size is 19 inches, which may be too small, and the 5 speed transmission) to this:
1st gear: 34.5 mph @4k rpm
2nd gear: 56.9 mph @4k rpm
3rd gear: 84.3 mph @4k rpm
4th gear: 110.6 mph @4k rpm
5th gear: 143.6 mph @4k rpm (althought I think for the break in period you shouldn't go that fast )

The manual is available at:
http://www.analogstereo.com/pdf/om/porsche_boxster_owners_manual_2007.pdf
(or pm with your email if you want me to send it to you)

and the calculator i used is at:
http://wahiduddin.net/calc/calc_speed_rpm.htm

-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

Old 07-15-2008, 09:25 AM   #18

Thanks for that!

The online manual is brilliant, I'll have a good read of it and get up to speed with what's what before I collect the car

The 4k rpm speeds are a lot better than I'd hoped for and the running in shouldn't be too onerous now.

I'll see if I can figure something out about getting the Top Gear file from you. What kind of file size are we talking about? Would it be email-able or better off through ftp?

Thanks again

Mike
Old 07-15-2008, 09:46 AM   #19

I do believe 3000 RPM in 6th gear is about 73 mph, which would make 4000 rpm about 97 mph.
Old 07-15-2008, 10:24 AM   #20

I do believe 3000 RPM in 6th gear is about 73 mph, which would make 4000 rpm about 97 mph.

Quickurt, you are totally right. Must have been a bad gear ratio calculator or some error on my part

As far as the top gear eps, they are pretty big (most go up to 700 megs ). You can get a list of them from wikipedia, tell me which ones you want (if not all ), and I can put a bunch on www.rapidshare.com

All in all, you wont be able to go 143 mph in 5th gear (I dunno how I let that one slip, musta been still asleep), but you can still go pretty quick!

-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)