Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2008, 11:46 AM   #1

"Always Broken" Key Question

Ever since I bought my car, the keys that came with the car were disgraceful. One was the tiny little valet key and one was a full size broken-in half key.

My question is first, am I correct to assume this key had a second-half component which formed the overall container for a battery and contained the buttons on the outside?

Secondly, my most important question is that with the key below do I lose any functionality beyond keyless entry? As an example, does the key no longer engage the immobilizer upon disconnect to only allow a "chipped" key to work?

Last edited by JCL12; 06-13-2008 at 11:48 AM.
JCL12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 02:26 PM   #2

The key in your picture is for the base Box without the alarm option. The round button is missing in your picture but all that does is to turn on a white light in the black plastic part so you can see the door lock at night.

It still has a chip in it for the immobilizer so it works with the round light button missing.
Tool Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:29 PM   #3

Wow, even in its original state that is one sad looking key. If I were to go to the dealership to get a new key - one with keyless entry and actual functionality, would I also have to get new hardware installed in the car as well?
Old 06-14-2008, 12:45 AM   #4

Buying a remote key with the alarm and trunk open buttons will do nothing for your car as the control unit under your seat is different than a car that has the alarm option.

You can replace your key head but the new head will have to be programed to the car. Or you can buy a new head and take the pill out of your old one and put it in the new one.
Old 06-14-2008, 05:57 AM   #5

This begs a similar question. I have the alarm and front/rear trunk opening functions on my keys, but both of my heads have gotten quite worn and are being pesky about working lately. Yes, I've replaced the batteries in both. If I just want a new key head (since obviously the metal key is fine), how much is the dealer going to screw me to replace and reprogram the new head?

Patrick
Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 08:28 AM   #6

The half of the key head for the remote - the half with the buttons - is sold by Porsche. If that is what is worn you can buy it and it does not involve any programming.

If you buy the entire remote you can remove the circuit board and pill from your old remote and put it in the new remote - no programming involved. Or you can buy one of the fancy design remotes or Carrera GT remote and take the guts out of your old remote and put them in the new - no programming involved. But your circuit board must be in good working condition.
Old 06-14-2008, 10:45 AM   #7

I always new porsche loves to nickel and dime its customers, but wow! Even a "normal" key is an option.

Given the condition of my key do you think I'd be able to get a new LED, battery, and button installed to my "broken" key without costing too much? Heck, I'd love to make that a DIY project if I had a BOM & print for the key...
Old 06-15-2008, 07:25 PM   #8

JCL12,

I would pick up the Carrera GT Key conversion from Suncoast :

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=P&Product_Code=gthead&Category_Code=cgt

Very cool, but $140 !

You do have cheaper options, though :

http://e-partssales.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Store_Code=P&Category_Code=986Keys

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote