Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2008, 06:06 PM   #1

Convertible top squeak

Sorry, I searched but couldn't find any info on this. My convertible top squeaks (when up, of course). it originates at the right side where the windshield top seal meets the top. Its getting quite annoying, and I'm wondering what might be the solution to this. Its clearly a rubber to metal type sound. I've tried silicone spray, but that's messy and doesn't last long. Is there a better answer and does silicone have negative consequences?
thanks,

Tucson, AZ
Kurt W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:07 PM   #2

Kurt

Try a silicone grease in a tube, it will last longer. There used to be a dry silicone spray that worked quite well on 914 tops that squeaked like the dickens without it. I used to get it at NAPA, but that was many moons ago. They may still have it and it should be the best solution. It lasted quite a long time on my 914s.
I used the last I had on the rear window seals on my last suburban. It worked well there also, same deal, rubber on glass contact.
The silicone will not hurt the rubber or the metal, so don't worry about that.
MY brother and I were both 914 fans. We each had a 916/6 at one time or another and both had several 2 liters. Every time my brother sees my box he asks why Porsche didn't build the Boxster instead of the 914. He may be right, he doesn't think there would be any other sports car companies left in business, if they had.

Kurt Wullenweber

Last edited by Quickurt; 06-12-2008 at 03:11 PM.
Quickurt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 08:32 PM   #3

Thanks for the suggestion. I too was a 914 fan back in the day. A 1.8 but nicely tuned and fun like the Boxster in similar ways. Another thought I had, but I haven't tried is talcum powder. Like preserving scuba gear, but possibly worth a try...
Tucson, AZ
Kurt W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 05:35 AM   #4

Try searching 'Gummi Pflege'.

Awesome product originally only available thry BMW dealerships. It is easy to use and not messy. It's like hand lotion for rubber.
lilredpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2008, 06:14 AM   #5

The thing to get is DuPont Krytox GPL205 weatherstrip lubricant. Like $25 for a small tube, but amazing stuff.

Patrick

Cloudsurfer is offline   Reply With Quote