Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2008, 04:10 PM   #1

Question How to have Pedro Sports Exhaust installed?

I want the Pedro style sports exhaust modification done on my car as soon as possible.

Is there a link somewhere that explains in detail how to do this mod so I can tell a muffler or performance shop what I want done on my exhaust?

Thanks

Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 04:32 PM   #2

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Its basically welding a one inch pipe from your mufflers inlet to your mufflers exhaust tip.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 05:43 PM   #3

So I just tell the mechanic I want to weld a one inch pipe from my mufflers inlet to my mufflers exhaust tip and he will understand everything?

Is it the same with the Boxster S than the standard Boxster since the mufflers are different?
Jacques79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #4
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Can you do this to a base Boxster?
Also, could someone list the pro's and con's. Wouldn't you get more resonance?
Thanks!
Old 06-07-2008, 05:54 AM   #5

Finding a shop that will weld stainless steel properly ain't easy here in Houston.
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 07:50 AM   #6

I did this

I had an S muffler modded this way. Living in a small city in Louisiana, none of the welding shops had the stainless steel tubing, so I did an internet search and bought the tubing and pre-bent angles (stainlees steel requires mandrel bending, which your shop may not be prepared to do) and then had a local shop do the welding and install. If I had to do it again, I would go with a larger diameter pipe - the 1" really is not loud at all. And no resonance. Do some searches on the various Boxster forums and you will find plenty of info and pictures.
musicboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:31 AM   #7

I have done a few of these mods. But unlike in picture i go over the top in to the tip so its less visible and exhaust looks more stock that way. And i didnt use stainless steel pipe the cost would kill the whole idea of this mod and as far as welding i used toch brazing method. I would have to say the quality of a weld is not very strong but this part doesnt need to be, it just has to seal and keep the pipe from moving. So if you tryed to do a pull up on it it might crack or come off, but other than that it holds on strong. I had mine on my car for over a year and i went to auto crosses, one time to track (short) and did about 15,000 miles, not a single problem. this mod can be done to any boxster with stock exhaust
blueillusion97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2008, 08:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by musicboy
I had an S muffler modded this way. Living in a small city in Louisiana, none of the welding shops had the stainless steel tubing, so I did an internet search and bought the tubing and pre-bent angles (stainlees steel requires mandrel bending, which your shop may not be prepared to do) and then had a local shop do the welding and install. If I had to do it again, I would go with a larger diameter pipe - the 1" really is not loud at all. And no resonance. Do some searches on the various Boxster forums and you will find plenty of info and pictures.
1" might not be super loud but its loud compared to stock and sounds amazing. I think 1" is the best of 2 worlds...soulds agressive on the streets but quiet on the freeway
Old 06-07-2008, 08:58 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by blueillusion97
I have done a few of these mods. But unlike in picture i go over the top in to the tip so its less visible and exhaust looks more stock that way. And i didnt use stainless steel pipe the cost would kill the whole idea of this mod and as far as welding i used toch brazing method.I would have to say the quality of a weld is not very strong
I see your point on keeping it cheap, but if I'm not mistaken the tips on our boxsters are stainless steel so you are going to have to weld some stainless regardless of what kind of tubing you use. Perhaps that's why your welds didn't hold so well?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 05:50 AM   #10

Here is a pic of my "PSE" being mounted on the car. I don't recall the diameter of the pipes, but an inch sounds about right. I also have Fabspeed secondary cat bypass pipes and the sound is tremendous; nice deep idle rumble and screams when heavy on throttle.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 11:02 AM   #11

I do it similar as in the pic above just all bends are long and not sharp for better flow....As for the weld once again it holds and it holds well for its purpose but it wouldnt be strong enougth if this part had to be main holding point...
Old 06-08-2008, 12:28 PM   #12

Nice part about this mod is once completed, the bypass pipes are not that visable, compared to Porsche's PSE.
jmatta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2008, 12:38 PM   #13

http://videos.pcars.us/video/5016146f-9c79-4d83-9557-9ab40161fbfb.htm

Here is CJ's bypass that i made