Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2008, 06:01 PM   #1

Desnorkle clarification

Guys,
I desnorkled my 2001 S and I didn't see any difference in the sound or performance. My S was already loud at 4K+ rpms. I wanted to make sure I did this right...

I pulled out the tube and removed the cup part of the snorkle and put it back. Is that desnorkling or is desnorkling the complete removal of the tube? I know this is a silly question, just wanted to see if I did it right.

BYW, I found that after removing the screw I could pull out the cover plate enough to slide a flat screw driver into the clamps and found that pushing them back worked a lot easier than pulling them forward per the instructions. I was careful not to scratch anything. Putting them back on was easy since they do just slide on from the front.

Any insight is appreciated!

-Steve

chitowndad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:18 PM   #2

Yes you have to remove the whole tubing with coupling at the end, and you should def notice a difference in sound and a lil performance. I did it in my 2001 S last week and I will never put it back unless engine blows under warrenty, its just the awesome sound you already had exemplified.
BoxsterLewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2008, 06:21 PM   #3

Thanks!

Thanks! I feel silly that I thought it was the cup that was the desnorkle process.

I'll yank it out this weekend!

-Steve
Old 06-02-2008, 06:49 PM   #4

Garage
As I've said in a past post, if simply pulling the snorkel increases air volume and sound for that matter. Then why could you not pull the snorkel then trace the outline of the intake port, cut it out and now you have a snorkel as big as the intake port? And now, 'o so much air.
Old 06-02-2008, 07:03 PM   #5

Done!

Ok, so I just removed the tube completely and took it for a drive. WOW! The sound that I get at 3K is what I'd normally get at 5K rpms. It even sounds a little deeper!

NICE!

I should have done this a year ago. I put a really small amount of oil on the tabs (put it on my finger then spread it on the tabs) and now the grill comes off really smoothly.
Old 06-03-2008, 12:56 AM   #6

Send a message via MSN to CJ_Boxster
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaxonalden
As I've said in a past post, if simply pulling the snorkel increases air volume and sound for that matter. Then why could you not pull the snorkel then trace the outline of the intake port, cut it out and now you have a snorkel as big as the intake port? And now, 'o so much air.
search it. I did that. Made a how to. Pictures and all. Not worth the effort cause without the tube in there, the sound echo's in that cavity with give it the growl we all know and love from desnorkling. Having the tube expanded to a larger even width leaves it quiet... Just barley better than snorkled.

Carlos J Cazares

FastForward Performance
http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a1...er/newsig1.jpg
CJ_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:22 PM   #7

I desnorkled today. I could see a bit of improvement in power but not as much of a difference in sound. Pretty happy with the 5 minute (and free) mod.
Old 07-13-2008, 07:54 PM   #8

if only deambering the headlights was as easy....and cheap....

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2008, 07:59 PM   #9
There Is No Substitute.

Garage
Sorry to hijack, but I've been wondering about the purpose of the snorkel. Some say it keeps water out of the intake, and others that it's just there to keep the noise down.
Does anyone know which it is?

I haven't desnorkled yet, because as a DD my Boxster is subject to water, snow and occasionally the DIY car wash.
Thanks!
Old 07-13-2008, 10:07 PM   #10

The two things I've heard are that its for both keeping the noise down, apparently porsche decided that it was easier to have all their cars meet the strictest noise restrictions (I believe Sweden was the country in question?) and to keep foreign objects, such as cigarette butts, out of the intake.

Althought I have seen this on other forums:
http://www.theautobahn.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13930

2002 Boxster S 6 Speed (Ocean Blue/Savannah)
-De-Snorkled, Porsche (B&M) Short Shifter, EVO Shift Linkage
-H7 HID Upgrade
-Rennwerke Maintained
1998 Bouvier (Brindle)

http://inlinethumb03.webshots.com/42...425x425Q85.jpg
fragdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 04:01 AM   #11

I read that the 03-04 model have redesigned snorkel... I guess there's no point to remove mine is there?

I also read that it acts as a device to grab cold air as suppose to hot hair right outside the rear fender.
ekam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2008, 05:38 AM   #12
07 Carrera S Cab

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rick3000
Sorry to hijack, but I've been wondering about the purpose of the snorkel. Some say it keeps water out of the intake, and others that it's just there to keep the noise down.
Does anyone know which it is?

I haven't desnorkled yet, because as a DD my Boxster is subject to water, snow and occasionally the DIY car wash.
Thanks!
Man, stop ur worrying and just pull the darn thing. I have had my snork out for almost a year now. I've been through car washes, driven through torrential rain storms, and have not had one single problem from the desnorkle (no CEL, no hunting idle..nothing). Just read this thread if you haven't already. If you find you don't like the desnorkle procedure for any reason, it's totally reversible, and you can just snap it back in! Mine won't be going back in, however, as I love the additional growl.

The most common explanation is that the snork tube is for EU noise abatement reasons (Switzerland). I wouldn't worry about water ingestion at all because there is still a water drain point downstream in the intake system.

http://986forum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9671&highlight=bisimoto

Previous: 01 Boxster in Arctic Silver, 86 944 in Guards Red
Boxtaboy is offline   Reply With Quote