Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-29-2008, 06:53 PM   #1

Convertible top replacement question

I am thinking about replacing the top for my 2000 Boxster with a glass window replacement. Robbins sells the top for about $700 and GAHH sells the top for $959-$1089. Do you think the quality of the GAHH top is superior and worth the extra money? Also, does anyone know of other brands of replacement tops you think are superior or a better deal?

Eric K

E Kaplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:46 AM   #2

I install these tops in New Jersey. I use GAHH. Robbins has offered a glass window for about a year. I hear they are having delaminating issues as did GAHH years ago which GAHH addressed immediatly. GAHH is consistent with their tops and stand behind their product. I wish they were cheaper!!!!
Peter Serbanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 02:50 AM   #3

Peter:
There is a German Canvas top for $1084 and a Sonnendeck Canvas top for $959. Is there a difference between these tops?

Eric
Old 05-30-2008, 12:08 PM   #4

I only use German A5 canvas. The sonnendeck stretches too much especially the blue canvas. I installed a black top on a 2000 today
Old 06-02-2008, 05:04 PM   #5

Peter:

Thanks for the info.

Eric
Old 06-02-2008, 08:02 PM   #6

Send a message via Yahoo to TimAustinW
I've had my Robbins top for about three months now. Someone else posted that their Robbins top glass window came unglued in high temperatures. It's been the high 90s here in Texas nearly the whole time I've had it. 100s all week this week. So far so good. No problem other than needing a readjustment about three weeks after install. I got the German A5.
02 Seal Grey, NHP Headers w/ Highflow Cats/2ndary Bypass Pipes, smoked side markers/3rd brake light, exterior match interior trim, 986 Lloyds Mats, 986 deck lid emblem, arctic silver intake grills, ipod link, painted calipers, Glass Window Robbins Top with defroster kit, Bose Sound System, Leather lower door panels, Console Lid w embroidered crest; Stainless door sills; Painted Bumperettes; Custom Hood Crest
TimAustinW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 06:38 PM   #7
dj1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Serbanica
I install these tops in New Jersey. I use GAHH. Robbins has offered a glass window for about a year. I hear they are having delaminating issues as did GAHH years ago which GAHH addressed immediatly. GAHH is consistent with their tops and stand behind their product. I wish they were cheaper!!!!
Peter,
Can I get info on having you replace my top? Can I come in from out of town and have it done in a day? What is the total price? Where in NJ are you? Thanks DJ
dj1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 12:28 AM   #8

I had mine done back when they first came out a few years ago. Went through 3 GAHH tops due to the de-laminating glass and other early design issues. I've had the 3rd one fo over a year and it's solid. I could tell they changed a few things immediately. Seams have been moved away from stress points, etc. My replacements were all covered under warranty and the shop that did the work took care of it all, but it's a pain to have the top start flaking on you, and it's a pain to keep getting it replaced. I would go with the GAHH top since it's been through the revisions already. Robbins is a well-reputed brand but even good brands go through startup problems with a new design.

All that said, I'm happy with the new top.

I think German A5 is better than Sonnendeck, and is the material Porsche uses on its tops. If you search the forum you'll find a pile of old posts on this topic with links to pages that explain the difference in materials as well. It was a hot topic back in the day...
CA_Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 06:15 AM   #9

Thanks everyone for the advice.
I'll go with GAHH and the German canvas.
Let you know how it turns out.
Eric
Old 06-06-2008, 07:32 AM   #10

This thread has been very helpful for me as well. I've vacillated between the GAHH and Robbins tops for a long time now. I too will go with a GAHH top and have one of their authorized installers do the job so it's fully warranted (parts and labor) on replacement.

One question though... when a GAHH top is installed by an authorized installer, does the initial price include adjustments a couple of months down the line when the top stretches?
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2008, 01:14 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour
This thread has been very helpful for me as well. I've vacillated between the GAHH and Robbins tops for a long time now. I too will go with a GAHH top and have one of their authorized installers do the job so it's fully warranted (parts and labor) on replacement.

One question though... when a GAHH top is installed by an authorized installer, does the initial price include adjustments a couple of months down the line when the top stretches?

I install these tops.... never had to do an adjustment afterwards.....