Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-27-2008, 05:26 AM   #1

sorry, 'nuther de-badge question

I searched for de-badge, debadge, de badge, badge - but couldn't find the threads I know are in there somewhere.

If I recall, debadging started by gently "sawing" the badge off using nylon (fishing?) line or dental floss(?), then removal of any remaining adhesive with something.

What type line?
What solvent, and what type fabric were used for the adhesive removal?
Any help appreciated, esp. from someone who actually did it on their car. Also welcome comments on any method that did not work well.

limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 05:36 AM   #2

I just used dental floss. it is not a hardened glue. Just a gentle sawing action cuts right through it. Then I used a mild soap with lanolin. Removing the adhesive took the longest.
Bad Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:08 AM   #3

I too just used dental floss. Then I used my fingernails to scrape and pull off the glue. A lot of it just pulls off. It's kinda stretchy. Then I cleaned up the remaining glue residue with Scratch X. Worked just fine.
Jimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 06:45 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Company
I just used dental floss. it is not a hardened glue. Just a gentle sawing action cuts right through it. Then I used a mild soap with lanolin. Removing the adhesive took the longest.
What is it? Lanolin? La-lanolin, like-- like sheep's wool.....

http://www.moviewavs.com/php/sounds/?id=bst&media=MP3S&type=Movies&movie=Anchorman_The_Legend_Of_Ron_Burgundy&quote=howareyou.txt&file=howareyou.mp3
Old 05-27-2008, 06:52 AM   #5

Limon,

I used dental floss and it was very easy to remove the badge.

The left over adhesive was a different story. I tried everything I could think of, but I could not get the sticky stuff to come off. I finally tried a citrus based adhesive remover and it worked :

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Citrus-Based-Adhesive-Remover/dp/B000093L19

This is the stuff I used but you can only buy it in bulk :

http://www.1stayd.com/catindex.html

Goo Gone did absolutely nothing !

Hope this helps...

Nick

1999 986 ( Black )
1998 MB C280 ( Black )
1999 BMW K1200RS ( Yellow )
2005 Audi A4 ( Red )
NickCats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:08 AM   #6

Lanolin from Wikipedia. a greasy yellow substance from wool-bearing animals. Then as Jimi says you just rub the adhesive around and the lanolin keeps it from sticking and eventually it comes off.
Bad Company is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 07:52 AM   #7

I used waxed dental floss (you are really just sawing through a thin layer of foam tape). If you keep rubbing your finger over what's left it will usually start to ball up when it comes off. Goo-gone worked for me to get rid of the residual adhesive but I imagine any lemon-degreaser type dishwashing detergent would do the same.

You can use rubbing compound to clean off any dried wax build-up from where you couldn't get under the edges of the badge in the past (it will be a "ghost" of the emblem outline).

Finish with a quick bit of paste wax and you're done. It's literally a five-minute job from start to finish.
Ofishbein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:27 AM   #8

Many thanks to all for the good inputs.
I've got floss, goo-gone, and mild detergents at home already, will give it a try.
limoncello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2008, 08:48 AM   #9

heat!!

soften the glue up with a hair dryer before you start, use floss or fishing line to get the decal, then rub the glue right off.
nola911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2008, 05:49 PM   #10

I heated it up, pulled it off gently, and rubbed the adhesive off. I followed up with a bit of 3M glaze and my wax. Took a total of 5-10 minutes. Now I wonder if I should put the 986 emblem on......
RobZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 05:30 AM   #11

+1 on the hair dryer trick. Then a bunch of goo gone and a lot of rubbing with your finger should do the trick.

I de-badged mine last year. Yesterday, while when I was polishing my rear deck lid, I could make out the “Boxster” script in the haze of the polish – pretty cool. I remember someone once posted a picture of water beading into the word “Boxster” on their deck-lid where the badge used to be – very cool.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2008, 12:30 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Kill
+1 on the hair dryer trick. Then a bunch of goo gone and a lot of rubbing with your finger should do the trick.

I de-badged mine last year. Yesterday, while when I was polishing my rear deck lid, I could make out the “Boxster” script in the haze of the polish – pretty cool. I remember someone once posted a picture of water beading into the word “Boxster” on their deck-lid where the badge used to be – very cool.
I must be old, I like the emblem
I would like the red "S" I've seen on some.
Old 07-07-2008, 01:22 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickurt
I must be old, I like the emblem
I would like the red "S" I've seen on some.
I didn't set out to debadge the car, but one day when I was waxing it, my cloth snagged on the end of the lettering and broke part of it off. At that point I thought the debadge mod would be a good thing for me to do.

At the end of the day though – I do think it looks cleaner without it, and washing and waxing the trunk lid are much easier now.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s..._kill/Siga.jpg
Dr. Kill is offline   Reply With Quote