Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Boxster General Discussions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2008, 11:11 PM   #1

Engine Rattle Rattling

Hi Guys, I have a 01' Boxster, 160k's. The problem I have is that when the car heats up a little (or sometimes when slightly warm) there is a rattle sound coming from the engine compartment. A freind of mine is a mechanic and we had the compartment off to the waterpump etc, thinking it is a loose bearing, but can't tell which one it may be. Does anyone know which one is the most common, we tried listening to them all, but couldn't exactly tell which one it was. We are going to take off all of them individually but I would like to know which one is most common and start from there. Unless it may not be a bearing, any ideas? Thanks guys!

alfaromeo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:28 AM   #2

The most common rattle sound is from heatshields around the exhaust system. I would check them first.
renzop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 12:52 PM   #3

I had a rattle from the rear end when i first got my base boxster. Turned out that the previous owner had bottomed-out the tail pipe on a driveway or such and the chrome exhaust tip was bent just enough so that it would rattle and buzz against the muffler. I just bent it back and the noise went away.

I would ditto the comment on the heat shield as another likely cause, but it may turn out to be something a little more interesting if the car is running with 160K on it.... Best of luck,

Ed

2000 2.7L Boxster 102K; TTP intake, headers, high-flow cats; Dansk high-flow muffler; Autothority ECU chip; TechnoTorque 2; Bilstein coilovers; Racing Dynamics strut brace; stress-bar suspension kit; Aasco lightweight flywheel, B&M short shiftkit; 18" wheels; spare tire delete; OEM GT3 seats; JL audio speakers and subwoofer; Alpine PDX-5/PDX-2 amps; Kenwood DNX8120 CD/DVD/Nav; litronics, deambered
edevlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2008, 04:20 PM   #4

It's coming from the engin

Thanks for the reply guys, but it is coming from the engine itself. we have had the engine cover off in the cabin area and can hear something rattling. When accelearted the sound goes away. Anyone else got any idea's? Thanks
alfaromeo69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 07:40 PM   #5

I have a similar issue, seems to perhaps be from a belt tensioner. Rattle is only at idle as you said. Not very loud, often hard to hear unless I listen specifically for it. Did you find out what it was?
Old 07-29-2008, 02:57 AM   #6

Garage
Bump on the heat Shields, also, check the top cabling, does the sound go away when the top is up/down? I had a bunch of rattles/squeaks that went away after wd-40'ing the door latches. It's always a good day when you eliminate a noise.

'06 Cayman 'S' - Sold (Sport Chrono, PASM, TPMS, 19' CAS Wheels, NAV)
'06 Cayenne - Sold
'01 Boxster 'S' - Sold
'00 Boxster - Sold
tboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM   #7

Sometimes my car makes a slight rattle sound under acceleration when warming up, then it goes away. It doesn't seem to affect performance or anything and it's been doing it intermittently for at least a year or so I'm not real concerned about it. If you find out what is causing it let us know.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 AM   #8

160,000 MILES on your car OR 160,000 KILOS?

i see you are in Australia... so I assume the latter.

23109VC is offline   Reply With Quote